An Oldie But Goodie: Stupid Announcer Tricks in McMinnville

DelTavian

If you ask me what instrument I play....I'll tell you radio!...lol. Del, You're all over it. I have no doubt that the school in question was innocent with intent. I believe a school that is new to a program typically has a lot of over zealous fans and obviously one overzealous announcer. It is unfortunate for something like this to happen but for my own selfish reasons I would not have been as entertained reading such a funny thread as this in my life...WOW! You are truly a comedian. I haven't read anything this funny for a long time. You have to consider writing for Leno or something like that... anyway, I do color for WMSR's Lady Raider softball and am just a novice at best but I do know proper protocol and that's to have silence during a game from the announcer and you should only hear the fans and the umpires. I'll bet you won't have to go to Ronnie. Just keep that great humor you've got!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ERA,

Thanks. I'd love to write for Letterman, Dennis Miller or SNL but I'd have to pass on Leno since I don't think he's funny at all. Miller is #1 with me since Sam Kinnison isn't around anymore.

Truthfully, blowing off at the mouth or on the keyboard calms me down when I'm frustrated to the point of going off. I was pretty hot over those guys and it helped to write that.

I guess I'll see you at the Lincoln Co. tourney. I'll be the one who goes up to DaddyRaider and chants ..wynx! wynx! wynx! I used to be a "bodyguard" for DaddyRaider and the boys when they were the hottest band in the world....no wait...that was KISS....they were the hottest band in Middle Tennessee. And they were great. I wish we could talk them into a reunion show.

Hey that's it! A wynx reunion concert as a fundraiser for Grundy softball. It would make big money on the mountain with the "we're the old coots and proud" crowd. I'd love to see them all play again. But I hear DaddyRaider's wife won't even let him talk about the old days. Make sure she doesn't come to the tournament.....ok?

Del.

Del,

I'm behind you 100%. We played Boyd Christian last week. Our leadoff hitter burned the leftfielder on the first pitch of the game for a homerun and every time she came to bat after that the announcer said "This is the leadoff hitter Katey, back up!". The leftfielder adjusted accordingly and cost our girl two sure base hits.

During basketball season this announcer would actually keep talking while the visiting team would be shooting free throws.

I don't have any doubt that this is just a case of an announcer being an overzealous fan but someone should say something to the administration at Boyd about him. We asked him directly several times last week to tone his act down, to no avail.

Del, your monologue made me WANT to go to Boyd and see this guy in action. If he can talk more than me, then I am jealous(shut up ERA) Anyway, who knows when Boyd plays at home again?

BTW, we in Coffee County are blessed to have the best PA announcer in the world to do our games, the one and wonderful Ben Loveless. Ben puts the perfect amount of "air time" for himself and then an AWESOME collection of music to boot! Now if we could get him to do football!(I'm a little partial to the basketball guy *wink*) His Peace, Dream!

Well don't get too excited. He isn't near as funny as what I wrote. I didn't find him funny at all. But he does go nonstop and should have his plug pulled.

I'd be willing to bet that Boyd Christian has a hard time getting games next year because of him. Grundy won't go down there again if he's going to announce like that. So all Boyd Christian is doing is hurting themselves by allowing it to happen.

Del.

So if you umped the game how did you allow him to continually run off at the mouth while kids are trying to pitch and bat? I'm assuming he called the same way he did against Grundy.

Of course it could be that Webb didn't complain.

Or would you at least answer this....if they did complain would you tell him to shut up?

Del (who again will be sure that Boyd isn't on Grundy's schedule next year because of the PA announcer.)

[Edited by DelTavian on 4/14/02 8:10A]