KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now what about cheerleading does anyone think that is a sport? I dont I think if you call that a sport then you would have to call the choir a sport to, what does everyone else think? Im not picking any fights i just want to know.

I thought about this last night when I was on here. As much as it requires lots of athleticism and stamina today, I don't think it's a sport. I know some states classify cheerleading as a sport, but for me it's hard to see it as such. The primary purpose of cheerleading is to raise spirit and lead the crowd not competition.

I thought about this last night when I was on here. As much as it requires lots athleticism and stamina today, I don't think it's a sport. I know some states classify cheerleading as a sports, but for me it's hard to see it as such. The primary purpose of cheerleading to raise spirit and lead the crowd not competition.

agree

I thought about this last night when I was on here. As much as it requires lots athleticism and stamina today, I don't think it's a sport. I know some states classify cheerleading as a sports, but for me it's hard to see it as such. The primary purpose of cheerleading to raise spirit and lead the crowd not competition.

Here's my take on this. I tend to agree with that post but competative cheerleading is generally more than the usual " Ra-Ra-Go Team ! " stuff you get on friday nights; even more so when talkin about Pom squads. Shoot, my sister marches ( color guard ) with a DCI group the past two years and I can tell you for a fact that those guard girls ( the good ones ) are all in awesome shape. Even, then it still seems to fall under "performance art" than sport.

The thing I hate most about stuff like cheerleading is not so much what it is but how it is scored. This goes for Olympic sports like diving, gymnastics ( which is where I would place cheer and guard ), ice skating, etc. The final score rest with judges. Victory and defeat relies on somebody's opinion of how you performed rather than the just the performance itself. With basketball, football, weighlifting, wrestling,swimming etc there is no bias ( ref issues aside) becuase you can't argue with timed score or a score that is determined by those competing against each other.

Now, to be fair cheer and guard as stated takes athletic ability and skill. To me ( and I'm about to tick off the majority of my fellow southern brethren ) that makes them more sport to me than NASCAR. Yeah, there is a finsh line and it takes skill to win the race, control the car at 230mph, draft, not when to pit or not....whatever. The major player in the activity is the car....not the person. Therefore, cheer and guard have more claim to "sport" than Ricky Bobby.

Ok, novel over

Here we go.

sport (sp??rt, sprt)

n.

a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

Band is exactly all of those.

Here we go.

sport (sp??rt, sprt)

n.

a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Band is exactly all of those.

I wouldn't say band is a physical activity, a physical activity is football, hockey, etc.......... since when have you heard of a band member getting knocked out or there nose broken or anything, maybe a twisted ankle from stepping on the water sprinklers on the filed but thats about it.

I would say its not a recreation ether, you see kids going out to a park or anything an do a show, but you do see them going out to a park to play football an stuff.

Here we go.

sport (sp??rt, sprt)

n.

Band is exactly all of those[/qoute]

it's a broad definition at best. Walking is physical activity. Band takes skills;, those mostly being of a musical nature and not physical as it is understood in terms of "sport". It's not that I don't care about bands it's just that the activity just doesn't fit in that category.

but I have no love for NASCAR though...sorry

I am a band member at cascade high school and i am tired of ppl saying we are not athletic and that we dont compete 1.WE DO COMPETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF COMPETITIONS !!!!!!!!!!! 2.WE ARE ATHLETIC WE WORK AS HARD AS THE FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!!!

1, good thing you told us your a band member from cascade i dont think any one would have figured it out lol. 2 Who said yall dont compete? 3, have you ever played football? if so then you should know that the only people that work harder then the football team is the wrestling team. good day my friend

I wouldn't say band is a physical activity, a physical activity is football, hockey, etc.......... since when have you heard of a band member getting knocked out or there nose broken or anything, maybe a twisted ankle from stepping on the water sprinklers on the filed but thats about it.

You may not think people get hurt in band, but the fact is that they do. Two years ago an on field judge got his arm broken because we were moving at 200 and there was a move where the french horns and trumpets rushed into a form and did really fast turns. We have also had two people this year who have gotten sprains because they fell and couldn't get out of the way because of how fast we were moving. I don't really care if you think band is a sport or not, but we do work hard and we are in shape. It also requires a huge amount of concentration for really long periods of time. If you don't think we're a sport though, is gymnastics and dance. They have to lift people over their head or be able to pull themselves up. I guess I would say that the only difference I see is how we are judged. I would like to defend the cheerleaders aslo though. They compete too. Just because we support the football team doesn't mean that it's our primary purpose. Cheerleaders and bands compete too.