Why login?

• It's free
  • Participate in the discussions
  • Contribute schedules, rosters and scores
  • Hide the advertising on the message boards by becoming a Plus member
  • Welcome to CoachT.com!

You can't become a part of our great high school sports community without logging in!

Regular visitors will tell you: they love keeping up with teams outside their own area. That only happens when we share information here on CoachT.com!

Don't have an account? It only takes a second to create one, and it's even easier with a Facebook or Twitter account!
    Photo

All Time Maryville Team

• Please log in to reply
    59 replies to this topic

#11 coachspanky

coachspanky

Competitor

• Members
    • 322 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

TJ was 6-5 270 when he wanted to be he was unblockable. Yes, Troy Hodge would have to be on an All Maryville Team as well as Andy Long, Brett McBrayer, Jeff Fuchs, Tommy Johnson (maybe the best back), Jimmy Huffstetler, Spradlin, Ronnie Irwin (if they were gonna run the option), who was #24 when Spradlin played? i can't remember his name but he was a goodin too. David Reed, Buster Smith, There's a lineman that played in the late 70's early 80's that wore 50 i believe and he wrestled also, he was an animal he alo played LB-again i'm having brain cramps.
    There have been a lot of great murvil players throughout the years-i'm glad this thread got started-people should realize that we've had great players for a long, long time not just since the 90's!!!!!!!!

i forgot to thank you for the compliment about the best team not to win the state-i played on that team-we lost a heartbreaker to marion co. 14-13 in the semi's-we didn't have Troy et TJ was hobbled with an ankle injury-

#12 OldCoach1

OldCoach1

Trainer

• Members
    • 118 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:51 AM

i forgot to thank you for the compliment about the best team not to win the state-i played on that team-we lost a heartbreaker to marion co. 14-13 in the semi's-we didn't have Troy et TJ was hobbled with an ankle injury-

I played for Marion in that game. People still talk about it around here. Won of the toughest games I've ever been associated with.

#13 REBELRON

REBELRON

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 6,335 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

TJ was 6-5 270 when he wanted to be he was unblockable. Yes, Troy Hodge would have to be on an All Maryville Team as well as Andy Long, Brett McBrayer, Jeff Fuchs, Tommy Johnson (maybe the best back), Jimmy Huffstetler, Spradlin, Ronnie Irwin (if they were gonna run the option), who was #24 when Spradlin played? i can't remember his name but he was a goodin too. David Reed, Buster Smith, There's a lineman that played in the late 70's early 80's that wore 50 i believe and he wrestled also, he was an animal he alo played LB-again i'm having brain cramps.
    There have been a lot of great murvil players throughout the years-i'm glad this thread got started-people should realize that we've had great players for a long, long time not just since the 90's!!!!!!!!

#24 was Ricky Loope. He was an outstanding RB and Safety.

#50 was Rick Armfield. Armfield was 6' 200lbs but had the best technique I ever seen. He was strong and quick.

TJ Miles had a brother named Dan. Dan Miles would hit you.

Some other outstanding Maryville players in the 70s and early 80s were

QB. Tommy Beaver,Mike Phillips,Ronnie Irwin

RB. David Reed,Tommy Johnson,Tony Fox,Buster Smith,Ricky Maples,Donnie Hodge,Troy Hodge

WR. Willie Nelson,Curtis Middleton

OL. Rick Armfield,David and Mark Talley,Jeff Horton,TJ Miles,Steve Olivera,Randy Walker,Chuck Anderson

DL. Jeff Moose Evans,Mike Casteel,Johnny Hutton,Greg Casteel,John Ayers,Jeff Fuchs,Stanley Murrell

LB. Danny Spradlin,Tim Arnold,Ray Arnold,Richard Lowe,Jimmy Huffstettler,Scott Justice,Louis Moore

DB. David Olive,John Olive,Tim Phillips,Mike Click

Kickers. Ryan Gerhts, Matback and his loaded boot. I can't remember the kicker for the 1976 team. He was real good.

Maryville has some really good players in those years. I know I left some off. Just couldn't think of their names.

#14 coachspanky

coachspanky

Competitor

• Members
    • 322 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

I played for Marion in that game. People still talk about it around here. Won of the toughest games I've ever been associated with.

the td at the end of the 1st half et the missed PAT were killers-we kept fumbling once we got inside the twenty-man i wish we coulda been at full strenth for that game-we had a jr. on that team that had not fumbled since peewees et he fumbled i think 3 times-Troy didn't get to play-he rode in an RV down to Marion et was on crutches on the sideline-our TE blew out Troy's knee in the Alcoa game-it was a shame!!! have you seen his son play for Alcoa? talk about good bloodlines-Troy is his daddy et his mom was a state champion sprinter for Alcoa in the 80's.
    murvil's recent success has softened the pain of that defeat-it's something that i still think about-i'm sure the defeat by Marshall co. in the championship game kinda sticks with you, too

#15 coachspanky

coachspanky

Competitor

• Members
    • 322 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

#24 was Ricky Loope. He was an outstanding RB and Safety.

#50 was Rick Armfield. Armfield was 6' 200lbs but had the best technique I ever seen. He was strong and quick.

TJ Miles had a brother named Dan. Dan Miles would hit you.

Some other outstanding Maryville players in the 70s and early 80s were

QB. Tommy Beaver,Mike Phillips,Ronnie Irwin

RB. David Reed,Tommy Johnson,Tony Fox,Buster Smith,Ricky Maples,Donnie Hodge,Troy Hodge

WR. Willie Nelson,Curtis Middleton

OL. Rick Armfield,David and Mark Talley,Jeff Horton,TJ Miles,Steve Olivera,Randy Walker,Chuck Anderson

DL. Jeff Moose Evans,Mike Casteel,Johnny Hutton,Greg Casteel,John Ayers,Jeff Fuchs,Stanley Murrell

LB. Danny Spradlin,Tim Arnold,Ray Arnold,Richard Lowe,Jimmy Huffstettler,Scott Justice,Louis Moore

DB. David Olive,John Olive,Tim Phillips,Mike Click

Kickers. Ryan Gerhts, Matback and his loaded boot. I can't remember the kicker for the 1976 team. He was real good.

Maryville has some really good players in those years. I know I left some off. Just couldn't think of their names.

yes it was loope, et armfield i was talking about et i had forgotten about Louis Moore-talk about a hitter-great to hear those names again-by the way Dan Miles transferred to Alcoa but he was a hitter

#16 STARSNBARS

STARSNBARS

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 8,538 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:11 PM

In no order..

QB- Brent Burnette, Tommy Beaver, Cade Thompson, Ronnie Irwin, Mike "Fry" Phillips, Ricky Anderson

WR- Benny Davis, Tyler Maples, Willie Nelson, Brad Merritt, Tyler Gaskin

TE- Aaron Douglas, Brett McBrayer, Mike Casteel

OL- James Allison, Nick Black, Brandon Waters, Chuck Prugh, T.J. Miles, Gary Melton

RB- Carl Stewart, Michael Potter, David Reed, Ryan Tallent, Adrian "Tank" Baker

FB- Troy Bowman, Ray Arnold

Kick and Punt Returners- Troy Hodge Sr., Donnie Hodge, Tommy Johnson, Buster Smith, Ryan Maples, Michael Buchanan

PK- Ryan Gehrts, Michael Bauman, Taka Koyano, Andy Kerr, Justin Deardorff, Kenny Travis

Athlete (Multiple positions)- David Sweetland, Johnny Moscript, Maples Bros.

Punter- Phil Wilson

DE- Dwight Wood, Drew Galyon, Troy Bowman, John Emert, Mike Nelson, Ralph Lee

DT- Gary Tucker, Black/Prugh, Rick Armfield, Josh Smith

ILB- Danny Ray Spradlin, Larry Johnston, Andrew Healey, David McCord, Tanner Caylor, Steve Olivera

OLB- Ricky Maples, Mike West, Landon Hall, Colton Baker

Corner- Chris McCord, T.J. Brock, Matt Stalcup, Clement Bros.

Safety- Ricky Loope, Bob Hood, Scott Wilks, Kyle Harris, Steven Shiver
    STARSNBARS garbige and recrootin' servuss and Mairvul footbawl...tha best thay iz!!

#17 GovMan

GovMan

Champion

• CoachT+
    • 2,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

One kid I really liked a lot that you don't hear alot about because he played during that period of time when Maryville wasn't as dominating ... Brad Hatcher. He went on to be a real good player for Ken Sparks at CN. The original "one old coach" can tell you some stories about Brad.
    The Govman
    #########
    WBHS Class of '80

#18 Cowboyfan71

Cowboyfan71

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 95 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

He was a real animal at UT Ron....I think that alone precludes him form the list. Thats me though...my brother and sister were TJ's age. I always wondered about him...mentally. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Carl Stewart
    RBMichael Potter FB (he didnt play it, but would make an excellent one)
    Brent Burnette QB (Cade Thompson/Jason Phillips 2nd string)
    Aaron Douglas TE (wasnt our current principal a TE?)
    Tyler and/or Ryan Maples WR/DB/PR
    Danny Spradlin LB (Played for UT & Dallas Cowboys)
    Chuck Prugh OL
    Nick Black OL
    Tanner Caylor LB
    Dwight Wood DE
    Dee Arrington LB
    Drew Galyon DE
    Donnie Amburn, Alan Law or Tommy Beaver athlete
    Willie Nelson WR (Wilson said he's the best athlete he's ever coached...period.)
    Gary Tucker DL
    Any of the Talleys (Jon, Paul, David, they were all good linemen)
    Any of the Clements (need I say more?)
    Any of the Smiths (that says it all)
    Most of the Phillips (joking about "most") /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
    OL - Chase Anderson
    OL - Chuck Prugh
    OL - Brandon Waters
    OL - John Raulston

There were a lot of entires I agreed with. BTW, this thread is on the wrong site...but thats my opinion

#19 redbyrd84

redbyrd84

Competitor

• Members
    • 273 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

steve jacobson? QB senior 1980 - 81?
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!

#20 OldCoach1

OldCoach1

Trainer

• Members
    • 118 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

the td at the end of the 1st half et the missed PAT were killers-we kept fumbling once we got inside the twenty-man i wish we coulda been at full strenth for that game-we had a jr. on that team that had not fumbled since peewees et he fumbled i think 3 times-Troy didn't get to play-he rode in an RV down to Marion et was on crutches on the sideline-our TE blew out Troy's knee in the Alcoa game-it was a shame!!! have you seen his son play for Alcoa? talk about good bloodlines-Troy is his daddy et his mom was a state champion sprinter for Alcoa in the 80's.
    murvil's recent success has softened the pain of that defeat-it's something that i still think about-i'm sure the defeat by Marshall co. in the championship game kinda sticks with you, too

The Marshall Co. game does still stick with me. I feel like our game with you guys was the state championship. We were spent both emotionally and physically for the next week. Too many times the best two teams play in the semis. Yep.. Troy's kid is for real.
    Luckily, I coached at Marion during our state titles in the 90's. That softened it a bit for me, but will always remember the '85 loss.

Spirit Style Chooser: