All Time Maryville Team

jjones1115

I do wish I had watched the 70's and 80's Maryville teams but I either hadn't been born yet or would have been too little to remember anyway, haha.

And Mapperman, you're right, I forgot Baumann.

OLB- Ricky Maples, Mike West, Landon Hall, Colton Baker

Corner- Chris McCord, T.J. Brock, Matt Stalcup, Clement Bros.

Ok, totally forgot Stalcup and he does belong there, but McCord and Brock? They were both better running backs than corners.

And I agree with Colton Baker, forgot about him for OLB as well. I knew I was forgetting somebody.

EDIT - But I gotta say, what has made Maryville such a football machine in recent years isn't really usually due to any outstanding players but just because we've always had 11 men on the field who could do their thing very well. I don't know if many of these players would make All-Stars on a lot of other high school teams, but they were all very, very well-coached and smart.

So I'm not surprised to see a lot of 70's and 80's guys make the All-Stars team on other lists, I'm sure we've had much more talented players (though have we ever had a faster guy than Tyler Maples? I doubt it.)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#24 was Ricky Loope. He was an outstanding RB and Safety.

#50 was Rick Armfield. Armfield was 6' 200lbs but had the best technique I ever seen. He was strong and quick.

TJ Miles had a brother named Dan. Dan Miles would hit you.

Some other outstanding Maryville players in the 70s and early 80s were

QB. Tommy Beaver,Mike Phillips,Ronnie Irwin

RB. David Reed,Tommy Johnson,Tony Fox,Buster Smith,Ricky Maples,Donnie Hodge,Troy Hodge

WR. Willie Nelson,Curtis Middleton

OL. Rick Armfield,David and Mark Talley,Jeff Horton,TJ Miles,Steve Olivera,Randy Walker,Chuck Anderson

DL. Jeff Moose Evans,Mike Casteel,Johnny Hutton,Greg Casteel,John Ayers,Jeff Fuchs,Stanley Murrell

LB. Danny Spradlin,Tim Arnold,Ray Arnold,Richard Lowe,Jimmy Huffstettler,Scott Justice,Louis Moore

DB. David Olive,John Olive,Tim Phillips,Mike Click

Kickers. Ryan Gerhts, Matback and his loaded boot. I can't remember the kicker for the 1976 team. He was real good.

Maryville has some really good players in those years. I know I left some off. Just couldn't think of their names.

Was Scott Justice a DB or LB? Also, Donnie Hodge was absolutely electric!!!

Just wondering about these quarterbacks you mentioned REBELRON: did they ever really anything like the passing numbers that our QBs in the last 10 years (McCray, Phillips, Giles, Thompson, Burnette) have been? Wasn't Maryville more of a running team in the 70's and 80's before Quarles came along?

I was just naming the best players in the 70s and early 80s.

Maryville ran the wishbone back then.

My experience is limited only to MHS teams since '95, but these are the players that's left a big impression from these years.

QB - Brent Burnette (definitely the best pocket passer we've had) 2nd. Toki McCray (I absolutely rank Toki as a better overall athlete than Cade Thompson, Nick Giles, and Jason Phillips, and even Burnette, but we've been very blessed with great quarterbacks at MHS since 1996, that's for sure.)

RB - Carl Stewart 2nd. Michael Potter ( Jason Hicks, who was a tough, versatile guy - he even played QB for a while - would have to be our fullback. )

WR - Tyler Maples 2nd. Brad Merritt 3rd. Tyler Gaskin

WR - Ryan Maples 2nd. Andrew Clement 3rd. Kyle Harris (he was a late bloomer, but turned into a deadly weapon)

( Obviously, there's no shortage of outstanding receivers that we've had at MHS. Tyler Clendenen this year has been very impressive. Stephen Shiver, Stephen Childs, David Sweetland, Scott Wilks, Alex Rouse, Will Curtiss, Joey Gourley and Jacob Holt would all also have to be considered as well... as long as George Quarles is head coach, our receivers will probably always be very good, since he was a receiver himself.)

TE - Aaron Douglas 2nd. Adam Parton ('95-'96 guy, Douglas is the first pure TE we've had since Parton, really...)

OL - Chase Anderson

OL - Chuck Prugh

OL - Brandon Waters

OL - Nick Black

OL - John Raulston ( every time I hear about this guy it's always like he's been graded "perfect" on his performances, even though he wasn't that big compared to the others listed here )

(We've had a lot of great linemen thanks to Coach David Ellis... Matt Sharp, Issac Simerly, Drew Eubanks, Matt Tinker, Issac Cline, Chris Large, Jimmy Wallace, Cory Everett, Matt Gardner, Bobby Browning, Rhett Brooks, Justin Huskey, the list goes on and on. And this year's group is turning into a pretty good one too.)

DE - Drew Galyon

DL - Cole McKinney ( best run stuffer we've ever had, since '95 anyway )

DL - Brad Hilsher ( though he was a DE )

DE - Andrew Hodge

OLB - tie / Matt Oliver, Josh Theriot

MLB - tie / Stephen Pacifico and/or Matt Valentine. Andrew Healy was darn good here as well...

OLB - tie / Colton Baker and/or Morgan Shinlever ( very underrated '98 guy, but you did not want to be hit by him )

CB - tie / Ryan Maples and/or Matt Stalcup

CB - tie / Tyler Maples and/or David Sweetland ( short as he may be, Sweetland was known as "Mr. Excitement" for us in '96-'97 )

S - tie / Kyle Harris and Patrick Vananda ( '95-'96 guy, you guys probably won't remember him, but he was one of the few stars for us back then )

S - Scott Wilks ( another fierce hitter )

K - probably Takayuki Koyano is the best pure kicker we've had, although I'd want Anderson Kerr / Justin Deardorff, both from '96-'98, these two pretty much started the great kicking tradition we've had at Maryville for years and I personally wouldn't trade them for anybody else. Andrew Baumann was also an excellent clutch kicker as well.

KR - Tyler Maples (no question, he's the fastest guy we ever had at MHS since '95 at least) - a great team of returners for us would be Tyler, Ryan Maples, and David Sweetland. Too bad they were all a few years apart from each other - heh.

EDIT - Modified list 12/8/07, added Matt Stalcup, Colton Baker, and Andrew Baumann.

I take Eubanks over Raulston....Maybe its just me....or maybe its just cause hes my brother haha

It really is hard to choose between all the linemen from the last decade. They've all been very good, so you sort of almost have to go for who all were the most able to just knock people off the ball every single play.

The '98 line (Matt Sharp, Nick Black, Issac Simerly, Chuck Prugh and James Richards) is still the best line overall in terms of size and talent that we've had in that decade, but they might not have been the most experienced (at least before four of them went to college and played ball). There's been lines since that had less to work with and yet did great. The line from '00 to '02 for example played a whole lot more HS games than the '98 line, and they had less size and strength than the '98 line and most of the lines around them - the Powell line at the time for example - so they had to make up for it by knowing their stuff. I think the same applies to the linemen from '03 to '06. But at the same time, the '98 line was no slouch in the department either. Only Coach David Ellis really knows who his best linemen has been, but he's probably not going to tell us his top 5.

I'll bet it would be a very surprising top 5 though.

Ok, totally forgot Stalcup and he does belong there, but McCord and Brock? They were both better running backs than corners.

Both were excellent corners, when they played corner. McCord turned the 2001 championship game against Hillsboro, with a fumble causing tackle in the 3rd quarter. Plus both deserve to be somewhere on the ALL-TIME team.....

Both were excellent corners, when they played corner. McCord turned the 2001 championship game against Hillsboro, with a fumble causing tackle in the 3rd quarter. Plus both deserve to be somewhere on the ALL-TIME team.....

They do, but that's the unfortunate thing about ALL-TIME teams... not enough space for everybody. Otherwise I definitely would have put up Brock and McCord as running backs too.

Well, if you think so... you've watched a lot more teams than I did, but I always thought Ryan Maples and David Sweetland were better corners. I'll never forget that blur of a interception Sweetland had in the WB game in '97.

They do, but that's the unfortunate thing about ALL-TIME teams... not enough space for everybody. Otherwise I definitely would have put up Brock and McCord as running backs too.

Well, if you think so... you've watched a lot more teams than I did, but I always thought Ryan Maples and David Sweetland were better corners. I'll never forget that blur of a interception Sweetland had in the WB game in '97.

Good point Philster.

I added an athlete category to my ALL-TIME team. Sweetland has to be mentioned!

I think I am gonna have to take my previous post about the '98 line back. This has bothered me for a while.

First, I accidentally offended somebody from my own class with my original post (before editing it) by referring to the "smarts" of the '98 line (from my own class) as opposed to latter lines, and I do regret that. I was truly not trying to insult anybody's intelligence in that post and rather I was just trying to compliment the latter lines for being as successful as the '98 line despite obviously not being as big and talented. I consider at least three of these linemen very good friends of mine and I did not mean to insult them at all.

And I've come to a conclusion lately: as long as they all learned the proper knowledge of blocking techniques and stay mistake-free - and there is no doubt Coach Ellis is fantastic at implementing these critical skills, I think the world of this man - it is virtually impossible to say this kid "is better" than another kid from these MHS lines. All of them were capable of mistakes but they all had remarkable accomplishments instead, and that's what counts the most. They ended up all being All-Stars.

Having discussed Vol football players, Titans and Colts players over the years on various forums and with people - mostly players who would never really see my own opinions (though you never know!) - I didn't usually worry about them getting offended by my own posts.

When I started posting here again at CoachT.com out of boredom lately, I've been posting about these kids in the same fashion lately and forgetting in the process that they're all kids who could be reading these posts and getting offended.

I should have known better; I knew better when I was doing a website on Maryville football for two years. For some reason here I just keep forgetting, though. I could slap myself.

In any case, I'm not sure this thread is very proper. In my honest opinion anyway, many, many of the players on the MHS teams I've watched play has been absolutely terrific. That includes, of course, the '98 line, with which I've had the honor of actually playing with on the same team for a couple of years. But there are even players who did not win any championships - they deserve credit for trying as well, for going out there, and just trying their darnedest to contribute to the team. For this reason actually I've always looked up to the '96 and '97 seniors, despite the fact that they never won a state championship. The '96 team was actually the last team at MHS that didn't make the playoffs, but I always looked up to these seniors - for example, Jammy Everett, Josh Gourley and Will Curtiss - because they were still terrific at what they did, and it didn't come without hard work. I admired these people. Ditto for David Sweetland and Andrew Healy, who at least led the charge to our first state championship appearance in 20 years.

But that not only applies to MHS players but football players everywhere - because some players sometimes had far more to overcome - lack of talent, lack of ability, lack of size, sometimes lack of winning tradition, fan support, incompetent coaches, rough backgrounds, and so on. I have a lot of respect for players who try to do their best regardless, like the players at Maplewood this year.

With that said, I think I'm going to refrain from comparing players anymore on these forums and my apologies to anybody else who I might have offended here.

• 1 year later...

Well there have been so many great players come through maryville in the last 30 years its so hard to say who would be my 22 best. I have seen years of great player and I even took a few days to figure this list but here it goes.

OFFENSE:

QB- Burnett (1st-Best field general when it counted), Cade Thompson (2nd-strongest arm), Toki McCray(3rd- tightest spiral/best ball)

RB- Carl Stewart(nasty) Michael Potter( 1800 yd season in 1998)Danny Spradlin(NFL)

WR-Tyler Maples(fastest player ever, deep threat every play)/Ryan Maples(Athlete with size and speed)/David Sweetland(small but electric, made play after play)/Brad Merritt(Mr. Reliable)

OL- Entire '98 line/ there has been so many great lineman since(Roulston)

Others come to mind: Cole Hammontree had some excellent plays/ Scott Wilks/ Kyle Harris/ Jason Hicks/ Andy Kerr/ Zac Presnell(beast)

DEFENSE:

DL- Chuck Prugh(man amoung boys)/ Brad Hilsher(big,strong player)/ Adam Parton(relentless)/ Matt Harris/ Drew Galyon/ Cole McKinney( Hole Plugger The best)

LBS- Steven Pacifico (1st)(ungodly man in the middle)/ Josh Theriot (2nd)(5'10'' 225 and would abuse you with every hit)/ Andrew Healy (could be the best ever thats a tough one) / Matt Valentine/ Josh Combs(speed kills)/ Morgan Shinliver(best in the flats I've ever seen)/ Matt Giles/ Joey Breedlove

CB- Matt Stalcup (1st)(Hands down the best cover corner ever to come through maryville, impossible to throw on from '98-'99, interception king). Tyler Maples/Ryan Maples( Tall, Fast, great hands, Two brothers you could trust at that position, excellent athletes. David Sweetland( again rediculous athletic tallent, like stalcup could pick anything in his area. would change games instantly.

S- Kyle Harris( everywhere on the darn field when you needed him) Scott Wilks( motor that never stopped, gave 110% every play) Patrick Vananda( mid 90's safety who would make big hits, and led the secondary in every stat)Patrick Thomas( not as fast as some but made up for with attitude) Cole Hammontree('98 big time safety made a play-off pick six that sealed that teams fate, but had many other great plays, that one sticks out.

K-Takauki Koyano( excellent leg prob. the best) Andy Kerr(automatic lefty who was about 90% for his career) Justin Deradorf( kerr's better half from '96-'98, the best kicking tandom in state history. Absolutly)

KR- Tyler Maples( could go to the heezy at any time) David Sweetland ( had kr after kr for 30plus yards consistantly over his career) Ryan Maples( Knew how to use the wall to his atvantage better than anyone)

Let's see how many old timers are on here. I will throw this one out to you all to discuss... Much loved by everyone that meets him. One heck of a friend to all he meets.

Scotty Collins - DB in the early 80's. I believe ole Scotty works at Maryville Junior High. It is a shame he is not coaching in the system somewhere.