Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

It has become quiet on the boards lately, especially with it being the dead period. So I thought I would attempt to make a list of the top 25 historical teams in the state of Tennessee to help generate some talking. The list is intended to encompass all great teams of the past. I attempted to exclude teams that have been subpar throughout the years, although 2008 will be "their year." /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The list is in no particular order. Do you agree? Disagree? Any comments?

1. MBA Big Red

Year football was established: circa 1899???

State Championships: 9

2nd Winningest team in the state of Tennessee

MBA in my opinion is a team that should belong in everyone's top 25 poll, maybe top 5 poll. They're consistently a tough team and they play other top teams from around the nation.

2. Alcoa Tornadoes

Alcoa has been a force in 2A for several years and a top team in the state.

3. Chattanooga Central Pounders

State Championships: 6

They have struggled lately, but six state titles is impressive.

4. Maryville Rebels

State Championships: 11

60 Game Winning Streak

3rd Winningest Program in Tennessee

They have won the past 4 state titles in 4A and a top notch coaching staff.

5. Milan Bulldogs

State Championships: 4

6. Brentwood Academy Eagles

State Championships: 10

Brentwood Academy is another top 5 team. They are one of four teams to win back to back state titles in the highest classification.

7. MUS

State Championships: 3

8. Tennessee High Vikings

National Championships: 1

State Championships: 2

Year football was established: 1900, recorded 1911

Old Nicknames: Maroon and White Machine, Warriors, Adamites

The Vikings have been playing football for quite some time. One of four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification. Declared National Champions in 1972.

9. Cleveland Blue Raiders

The Blue Raiders won back to back to back state titles in 4A from 1993 to 1995.

10. Riverdale Warriors

Riverdale has been a 5A powerhouse throughout the years.

11. South Pittsburgh Pirates

12. Marion County Warriors

13. Melrose Golden Wildcats

14. Germantown Red Devils

15. Austin East Roadrunners

16. Fulton Falcons

Very good 3A team.

17. Battle Ground Academy Wildcats

They have had subpar teams lately.

18. Lincoln County Falcons

19. Oak Ridge Wildcats

State Championships: 7

Oak Ridge is one of only 3 teams to ever be declared national champions and one of only four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification.

20. Shelbyville Bedford County Training

Undefeated for 82 consecutive games.

52 consecutive shutouts. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

21. Gallatin Green Wave

22. Baylor Red Raiders

State Championships: 1

4th Winningest Program in Tennessee

23. Trousdale County Yellowjackets

24. Dobyns-Bennett Indians

Winningest Program in Tennessee

Old Nicknames: Magicians??

Few People can spell their name correctly /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Great team with tradition. One of the best football atmospheres in the state.

25. David Lipscomb Mustangs

• Upvote 1

While Knox Central is a winning program I do not think they are a top 25 team as they have '0' championships either won or voted on. Also the Shelbyville team you put on there is no longer in existance. It won those games when it was the ONLY HS in Bedford County. The current Shelbyville HS team is good at Girls Basketball and not much else unfortunately.

It has become quiet on the boards lately, especially with it being the dead period. So I thought I would attempt to make a list of the top 25 historical teams in the state of Tennessee to help generate some talking. The list is intended to encompass all great teams of the past. I attempted to exclude teams that have been subpar throughout the years, although 2008 will be "their year." /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The list is in no particular order. Do you agree? Disagree? Any comments?

1. MBA Big Red

Year football was established: circa 1899???

2nd Winningest team in the state of Tennessee

MBA in my opinion is a team that should belong in everyone's top 25 poll, maybe top 5 poll. They're consistently a tough team and they play other top teams from around the nation.

2. Alcoa Tornadoes

Alcoa has been a force in 2A for several years and a top team in the state.

3. Chattanooga Central Pounders

They have struggled lately, but six state titles is impressive.

4. Maryville Rebels

State Championships: 11

60 Game Winning Streak

3rd Winningest Program in Tennessee

They have won the past 4 state titles in 4A and a top notch coaching staff.

5. Milan Bulldogs

6. Brentwood Academy Eagles

State Championships: 10

Brentwood Academy is another top 5 team. They are one of four teams to win back to back state titles in the highest classification.

7. Knox Central Bobcats

State Championships: 0

6th Winningest Program in Tennessee

Although the Bobcats haven't won a state championship, they are historically a great team that has to compete with Maryville to make it past the quarterfinals.

8. Tennessee High Vikings

Year football was established: 1900, recorded 1911

Old Nicknames: Maroon and White Machine, Warriors, Adamites

The Vikings have been playing football for quite some time. One of four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification. Declared National Champions in 1972.

9. Cleveland Blue Raiders

The Blue Raiders won back to back to back state titles in 4A from 1993 to 1995.

10. Riverdale Warriors

Riverdale has been a 5A powerhouse throughout the years.

11. South Pittsburgh Pirates

12. Marion County Warriors

13. McCallie Blue Tornado

14. Germantown Red Devils

15. Elizabethton Cyclones

The Cyclones have had some tough teams throughout the years. They are a 3A school playing in 4A.

16. Fulton Falcons

Very good 3A team.

17. Battle Ground Academy Wildcats

They have had subpar teams lately.

18. Lincoln County Falcons

19. Oak Ridge Wildcats

State Championships: 7

Oak Ridge is one of only 3 teams to ever be declared national champions and one of only four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification.

20. Shelbyville Bedford County Training

Undefeated for 82 consecutive games.

52 consecutive shutouts. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

21. Gallatin Green Wave

22. Baylor Red Raiders

4th Winningest Program in Tennessee

23. Trousdale County Yellowjackets

24. Dobyns-Bennett Indians

Winningest Program in Tennessee

Old Nicknames: Magicians??

Few People can spell their name correctly /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Great team with tradition. One of the best football atmospheres in the state.

25. David Lipscomb Mustangs

I have a question for you THSViking. I was talking with a friend of mine who played football at Gate City in the 1980's. He told me that in 1971 (the national championship year for TN High) that Gate City scrimmaged the Vikings and won that scrimmage. Can you verify if that is true or is he just blowing smoke? By the way, it's nice to see DB included on your list.

Before consolidation forced its closure, Isaac Litton HS in Nashville was a national power. How many of you even remember the school? It was on Gallatin Road in Madison.

Ha! Shows how much you know...it's Inglewood. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Actually, it's an excellent inclusion, although I don't remember their last few years as being all that great (although I was between 7-10, and Litton wasn't one of the schools my dad and I followed.

Among closed schools, Murfressboro Central would be a good addition, and possibly Pearl as well. With Pearl in mind, I'd love to hear some input on some of the top black schools before desegregation.

While Knox Central is a winning program I do not think they are a top 25 team as they have '0' championships either won or voted on. Also the Shelbyville team you put on there is no longer in existance. It won those games when it was the ONLY HS in Bedford County. The current Shelbyville HS team is good at Girls Basketball and not much else unfortunately.

I'd have to put old Knoxvile Rule or Austin East on the list before Knoxville Central....

Ha! Shows how much you know...it's Inglewood. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Actually, it's an excellent inclusion, although I don't remember their last few years as being all that great (although I was between 7-10, and Litton wasn't one of the schools my dad and I followed.

Among closed schools, Murfressboro Central would be a good addition, and possibly Pearl as well. With Pearl in mind, I'd love to hear some input on some of the top black schools before desegregation.

I went to Dalewood Elementary. When Stratford opened in 1961, about half the Dalewood kids went to Litton and half to Stratford. Luckily, I was 2 blocks inside the Stratford zone.

However, Litton did have some great teams in the 50's and 60's. They just could not beat Stratford!

I have a question for you THSViking. I was talking with a friend of mine who played football at Gate City in the 1980's. He told me that in 1971 (the national championship year for TN High) that Gate City scrimmaged the Vikings and won that scrimmage. Can you verify if that is true or is he just blowing smoke? By the way, it's nice to see DB included on your list.

DB has accomplished too many things to be excluded from the list. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Tennessee High was declared National Champs in 1972, although most argue '71 was the better team. I know they scrimmaged Gate City one of those years. A Tennessee High player from the early '70s said the Vikes won that scrimmage, but I have no way of verifying that his statement is true.

Knox Central can be excluded, but I believe the old Shelbyville team belongs in Top 25 simply because of what they accomplished in the '40s. They still hold the state winning streak record.