Can anyone beat MARYVILLE, and by who???

fayfay05

What team in the state of Tennessee 1a-5a do you think can beat Maryville. So far maryville has beating the best in games and scrimages. Doybns Bennet, Oak ridge, and they were goign to play Riverdale this upcoming Saturday, but Riverdale dropped out for some reason. I dont think that convisintly anyone can beat Maryville. IF you do think so what team would it be and why do you think this team is good enough to beat Maryville. Not to mention Maryville has the best combination backfield of Carl Stewart, Chris McCord, and Alex Rouse. WOW!!! That looks tuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a maryvillle supporter. but every team is beatable. and we sure don't want to plant in players mind (and neither would the coaches) that they are not beatable. maryville has a fairly tough schedule. after opening at home against alcoa, they have three straight on the road including halls and morristown west. halls is always tough and mtw beat us at home last year. we have a chance to have another great season but lets take it one week at a time.

Guest caligula

Maryville...They are a team and every team can be beaten. Fortunately if they lose this year, it will not be to Morristown West. After what Carl did to you all in the rain, I'd hate to see him on dry land. West did a good job of cathcing Maryville when they had the big head and took them out of their game. Halls, it's a region and Halls comes to hurt you. Is that running back from last year, Timbo, back????? According to some big studs from AC they can kick the crap out of Maryville.

I agree any team is beatable, including Maryville. A lot goes into a good team. Chemistry, staying healthy, no turnovers, luck, staying hungry, etc. all add to the making of a good team. How Rouse plays this season is the key to Maryville's offense. Finding a leader on defense to replace Colton, is the key to the defense imo. As for Maryville being the best team or not that is up for conjecture, but Mako apparently didn't see the 4-A championship game last year. Maryville's depth simply wore out Hillsboro's Defense and Stewart and company ran wild in the 4th quarter. Stewart had a TD called back plus Maryville was on Hillsboro's 8 gettin' ready to stick another one in the end zone when they kneed it down to kill the clock. As far as AC they beat Maryville once in '97. Otherwise Maryville has owned them. Go Rebs.

I don't doubt Maryville wore them (Hillsboro) out, but like Morristown West, they are pretty evenly matched with the local 4A champs (with Maryville having a slight edge), and probably could've been beaten Maryville, much like Morristown West did.

--Kemple

Go 'Kees

[Edited by MakoRevised on 7/26/02 11:48P]

Great team and Tradition, but, it's silly to argue they could stay with the BIG DOGS in 5a because we'll never really know until they take that step up to the next level! Personally I don't think so, to much depth for them with the bigger schools. I think Maryville should stay right where they're at myself, they're successful and playing by the rules. They have nothing to be ashamed of or to prove thier the champs, so let them enjoy thier winning ways because nothing lasts forever! Good luck to you guys and ignore these idiots that think you should move up! Keep kicking butt and give them something to cry about!

yeah hillsboro probably could have beaten maryville but they didnt. i hear everyone saying hillsboro can beat them this year and maybe we will find out it is way too early to tell. but i know that hillsboro's qb gave us the most problems and he is gone. so is the big lineman who committed to tennessee and changed his mind, and the other huge lineman they had. walter fisher is back and is a great lb. as far as hixson beating maryville well i am not so sure. they did give us a good game two years ago but that was two state championships ago for us. and ask cleveland and red bank from your region what we did to them last year in the playoffs. i dont think anyone can sit here today and say "that is the best team in the state". like i said in earlier post any team is beatable. maryville might stay with 5A schools better than you might think depth wise though. they usually dress 65-80 and over 100 when the freshman start dressing for the varsity at the end of the year. and they sub early and often. with a three td lead it is not unusual for the first team to come out even if it is before halftime. so dont be so sure a 5A school would wear us out. we beat william blount 31-0 last year and we saw what they did to db in the playoffs.

Guest Trojans29

Maryville can be beaten. We (West) did it last year and dont try to take away from the win by saying you had big heads. You shouldnt have had them in the first place. Maryville is an excellent team and i kno for a fact that they could easily hang with 5A. West plays some 5A teams during the regular season and we still manage a 29-1 record the past 3 regular seasons. Maryville is beatable even though it will be difficult to do. If you let them get 2 scores up on you your most likely finished. But as far as Carl Stewart running all over us? He did a really good job in the rain but...in the regular season game he was held to very very low yardage when it was dry. So dont think it will be easy again. But it should be a really good game, maybe one of the or the best game in the state of Tennessee this year. Go Trojans

Morristown West is a good team. They have depth, good players, and a good staff. Maryville has a great deal of respect for them. West did beat Maryville in the first game and I'm not taking anything what so ever away from them. They deserved it because they played better. But in my opinion Maryville had developed an attitude "we can't be beat" since they were riding a 14 game winning streak, and West brought them down to earth. A lot of times the pressure of keeping a streak alive also keeps a team from playing relaxed and at their best. The streak becomes all anyone talks about. After West beat Maryville, the Rebels became a better team. They had the pressure off of continuing the streak, they re-elavuated the way they did some things and really improved towards the end of the regular season and carried it all the way through the playoffs. Plus they had the mental advantage when they played West again of wanting to advenge the loss. They completely dominated West in the playoff game. The stats were more lopsided than the score (23-7) indicated and Maryville's D played their best game. Also, even though Carl was controlled pretty well by West in the 1st game, TJ had about 130 yds. on them and that flip flopped in the rematch in the playoffs. That's the reason I predict McCord will have some huge games early in the year, because everyone will be concentrating on Stewart and McCord is quicker than both Carl and TJ. Go Rebs.