Private Schools Recruit... Well Duh.

wareagle41

• 3 months later...

Most, maybe not all private schools in west tn recruit. Now, it may be only certain players or they will hold mini-camps or combines. That is how they get a peek at public school talent.Sometimes parents from publics approach them, bring in video of their kid and see what kind of financial assistance they can offer. Or they will hear through the grapevine about a kid or two at a school who is above average talent and he will be asked to attend the "free" mini-camp or combine at that school. Then they are approached by someone (booster or asst. coach) and asked to tour the faciities which are usually a lot better than the public school they came from and if they and the parents like what they see and would like their kid to have a "great opportunity" at a great education, they have the kid take their entrance exam to see if he would qualify academically. At this point tuition assistance is discussed. If the kid passes the entrance exam, tuition assistance becomes a big topic and the kid is offered an "academic scholarship" to give a kid who can't afford the chance to get a great athletic...I mean academic opportunity. Now, you can call this recruting, soliciting, offering, or just plain ole trying to help a kid out with an opportunity to have a great "academic opportunity", (which it is)but it is funny he just happens to be an above average athlete. The "academic scholarship" is why the privates are in a division all their own. Yes, the public schools simply should refuse to play them because it is an unlevel playing field but some coaches like the challenge of seeing how they will do against a team who usually has better facilities and a slightly stacked team.

Recruiting and undue influence is completely different, I'd say there's alot more undue influence. I'm sure in a few cases a kids enrollment is paid by someone other than the kids parents, but not all that often. Good private schools are alot like good public schools, people will always try to give their kids the best oppertunity, open zones is the biggest factor. As a whole public schools are the one's with the most talent, its just hard to get all that talent transformed into hard working disaplined football players . Both types of schools have some great hard working kids, the ratio is not close, its the nature of things. We have five schools in our county ,if we could get half of the good one's in one school and let the others have the rest,the rest would be history. its apples and oranges, were just 2 different types of schools. Apples go in apple crates and oranges likewise. YOU THINK WERE JOKING, CAUSE WERE NOT.

No offense to you, but you are eithier associated with one of the few that do not pay or are unaware. There are at least 5 private schools in Memphis that recruit. I have friends that have had their kids recruited. A certain school in memphis had a linebacker last year wearing a 6A championship ring from 2009. Tuition paid for. Transportation is even paid for. Please do not try to tell me we are helping those with less if that was the case 99% of your student body would not be very rich white folks.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not against private schools just their unethical use and recruiting of kids.

No offense to you, but you are eithier associated with one of the few that do not pay or are unaware. There are at least 5 private schools in Memphis that recruit. I have friends that have had their kids recruited. A certain school in memphis had a linebacker last year wearing a 6A championship ring from 2009. Tuition paid for. Transportation is even paid for. Please do not try to tell me we are helping those with less if that was the case 99% of your student body would not be very rich white folks.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not against private schools just their unethical use and recruiting of kids.

The best schools to recruit from are the public schools. Just don't get caught!

Most, maybe not all private schools in west tn recruit. Now, it may be only certain players or they will hold mini-camps or combines. That is how they get a peek at public school talent.Sometimes parents from publics approach them, bring in video of their kid and see what kind of financial assistance they can offer. Or they will hear through the grapevine about a kid or two at a school who is above average talent and he will be asked to attend the "free" mini-camp or combine at that school. Then they are approached by someone (booster or asst. coach) and asked to tour the faciities which are usually a lot better than the public school they came from and if they and the parents like what they see and would like their kid to have a "great opportunity" at a great education, they have the kid take their entrance exam to see if he would qualify academically. At this point tuition assistance is discussed. If the kid passes the entrance exam, tuition assistance becomes a big topic and the kid is offered an "academic scholarship" to give a kid who can't afford the chance to get a great athletic...I mean academic opportunity. Now, you can call this recruting, soliciting, offering, or just plain ole trying to help a kid out with an opportunity to have a great "academic opportunity", (which it is)but it is funny he just happens to be an above average athlete. The "academic scholarship" is why the privates are in a division all their own. Yes, the public schools simply should refuse to play them because it is an unlevel playing field but some coaches like the challenge of seeing how they will do against a team who usually has better facilities and a slightly stacked team.

You really should check your facts (there are few) before you start talking about the "academic scholarships". These scholarships are need based determined by an outside firm. The schools cannot offer these scholarships based on your sons ability----if he's REALLY good, I might could slide you a few thousand under the table though ! :o

Yeah, an outside firm that people in the school have a lot of influence with, especially if it is for a gifted athlete. Almost all of the inner city kids who play sports for a private school are on some type of financial assistance. Those "academic scholarships" are a big part of why the privates ar in a div. all their own.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, an outside firm that people in the school have a lot of influence with, especially if it is for a gifted athlete. Almost all of the inner city kids who play sports for a private school are on some type of financial assistance. Those "academic scholarships" are a big part of why the privates ar in a div. all their own.

Yes,that would make sense that alot of inner city kids would qualify for need based financial aid since poverty is at a very high level in the inner city. Your handle is almost the same as the name of a popular condom. That fits you since your opinions are a reflection of your pointy head. Private schools are allowed to give need based financial aid for those that qualify and its not going to change, so you might as well get over it. Nothing wrong with this practice at all. :D

The "outside firm" most commonly utilized is in Princeton, New Jersey. All such "outside firms" are out of state. Pursuant to TSSAA rules, all aid must be exclusively financially based (not merit based - whether for academics, arts or athletics) and all aid given by any D2school must be approved by a board made up of the heads of all D2 schools. Either you are ignorant or you are comfortable with simply making up facts; neither is an admirable quality for someone who poses as sanctimonious. The bottom line is that the families of all kids who attend D2 schools incur some out-of-pocket expenses so that their kids can attend one of these fine schools. Those families also pay their fair share of the taxes which support the public school systems. If you are concerned with "financial aid", please understand that kids who go to publics pay zero to attend school. I have no problem with that - not sure why you seem to have a problem with financial aid for D2 schools.

The "outside firm" most commonly utilized is in Princeton, New Jersey. All such "outside firms" are out of state. Pursuant to TSSAA rules, all aid must be exclusively financially based (not merit based - whether for academics, arts or athletics) and all aid given by any D2school must be approved by a board made up of the heads of all D2 schools. Either you are ignorant or you are comfortable with simply making up facts; neither is an admirable quality for someone who poses as sanctimonious. The bottom line is that the families of all kids who attend D2 schools incur some out-of-pocket expenses so that their kids can attend one of these fine schools. Those families also pay their fair share of the taxes which support the public school systems. If you are concerned with "financial aid", please understand that kids who go to publics pay zero to attend school. I have no problem with that - not sure why you seem to have a problem with financial aid for D2 schools.

Red robin, you are WAY off base. I dont have one single issue with a kid receiving financial aid to a private school as their educational system is usually better than a public school. It is when that "financial aid" is used to help a good athlete to attend that particular school. There are tons of extremely smart kids in the city school systems that the financial aid to a private school (or D2 which is how your refer to it which designates sports conference) would benefit greatly but they dont run a 4.4 or are a gifted athlete. You are beating a dead horse if you dont think some private schools solicit athletes for their sports programs. You can spin it any way you want...it happens..sorry.

Red robin, you are WAY off base. I dont have one single issue with a kid receiving financial aid to a private school as their educational system is usually better than a public school. It is when that "financial aid" is used to help a good athlete to attend that particular school. There are tons of extremely smart kids in the city school systems that the financial aid to a private school (or D2 which is how your refer to it which designates sports conference) would benefit greatly but they dont run a 4.4 or are a gifted athlete. You are beating a dead horse if you dont think some private schools solicit athletes for their sports programs. You can spin it any way you want...it happens..sorry.

It absolutely does happen. Private schools also attract gifted intellectuals, orators, leaders, musicians, actors, writers, etc. In fact, the best such schools strive mightily not only to provide an excellent well-rounded education, but also to bring out the special talents in all of their students. And your point is?

Edited by RedRobin