Any USJ or JCS fans on here?

• 2 weeks later...

Also the Senate hearings which deal with accredition and aid issues of private Colleges and universities and the incentives that are used to get students to attend should be seen by all who will attend higher education along with an acessment of student loans? Hearings will be going on most of the rest of the year, CSPAN

1.8 ----- probably enough said.

it was the perfect storm, vol-gen.

i dont think there will ever be enough data to say for sure if 1.8 averaged out about right, as far as leveling the field between privates & publics. it seemed like it was probably pretty close, as some of the best private schools succeeded anyway, but the bulk of them were only competitive.

there were a couple of reasons that wouldnt work as a permanent solution.

first: if success wasnt virtually guaranteed, building your school's appeal by creating an athletics powerhouse was not nearly as appealing. simply put, the return on investment in athletics was drastically altered.

withless emphasis and less success in athletics, those parents who might send a kid to private school to guarantee state championship experience are no longer attracted to the small privates.

second: the economy. private schools have got to be hurting as much as anyone else, especially the small privates. they arent made up of "rich" people. i would be surprised if they arent hard pressed to keep enrollment up. and donations to any endowments have to be down as well.

it doesnt take long for 1.8 to become onerous.

as i predicted when privates were dominating; if the tables turn, they dont have any more stomach for impossible situations than the small publics. i know the small private my child attended is d-2 because it is where they can compete on an even basis with teams more or less like themselves.

i might add that had we adopted a merit system instead of the 1.8, i think everyone would still be playing together. small privates would probably be settling into a cycle just like everyone else, climbing up classes as they succeed, and dropping back down when they played out the string.

• 7 months later...

The multiplier was a big factor. Any private school with a high school enrollment of 300 plays at 540 with the multiplier. In the latest classification cycle, that put the Jackson area privates competing against high schools with enrollments of 1000 or more. Obviously, schools of 300 are going to struggle against schools of 1000. It also becomes a health issue for teams from smaller schools. O-lines averaging less than 200 tend to get injured a lot playing against D-lines averaging 280 or better.

The other contributing issue may sound elitist but it is not. There is a benefit to playing against schools of similar size with similar missions and similar student bodies.

I would prefer a classification system with no multiplier and no DII. Everyone plays everyone, classes determined by enrollment and geographically. But I don't know how to make that work. No one, including TSSAA, can legislate integrity, and integrity from both publics and privates would be required to make that system work.