Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

On a muffed punt, does the kicking team have to recover the ball beyond their first down marker for the ball to be awarded to them? 

Example: Its 4th and 25, the kicking team only punts the ball 20 yards and it touches a member of the return team and the kicking team recovers it 5 yards short of the first down marker, would the ball be awarded to the kicking team or the receiving team?

On a muffed punt, does the kicking team have to recover the ball beyond their first down marker for the ball to be awarded to them?

Example: Its 4th and 25, the kicking team only punts the ball 20 yards and it touches a member of the return team and the kicking team recovers it 5 yards short of the first down marker, would the ball be awarded to the kicking team or the receiving team?

Kicking team ball, 1st and 10 at that spot.

I'm at work now but later this evening I'll type out and even crazier scenario in which the kicking team gets a first down.

What is the rule for the placeholder on a field goal or extra point attempt? Can his knee be on the ground or not?

If a FG is being kicked his knee can be on the ground.

If he is going to pitch the ball on a fake it needs to be off the ground when he does this.

If the snap is high he can raise up, catch the snap, and go back down to the knee.

Hope this helps.

So, just to be clear. He can start with his knee on the ground, then rise up and pitch it or throw it or run with it correct?

Yes....he has to be up to do any of that. Otherwise he's down at that spot. You are correct he can start with his knee on the ground. He can leave it on the ground for the FG attempt but to do anything you mentioned he needs for it to be off the ground.

OK, I have another one.

On a punt, do you have to go for the block and hit the ball first before hitting/tackling the punter?

If the ball is tipped or blocked then it's not running into or roughing. I would not suggest plowing through a kicker that is in the process of kicking or has kicked the ball unless you've tipped or blocked the ball first or unless the kicker is running around with the ball in his hands.

If the ball is tipped or blocked then it's not running into or roughing. I would not suggest plowing through a kicker that is in the process of kicking or has kicked the ball unless you've tipped or blocked the ball first or unless the kicker is running around with the ball in his hands.

with the rugby style punters becoming more popular, what is rule about hitting the punter when he starts his "run" to punt,