Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

I was at a game last week and some fans had a bull horns and kept playing the siren sound all the time during the game even when the apposing team was snapping the ball. I did not think you could use electronic noise making devices at a football game.

Nothing against it to my knowledge. The only thing we've ever worried about were whistles from the stands.

so basically, directly behind the center is the safe zone for punters, unless he muffs or fumbles the snap?

No. If he is holding the ball he can be hit since he is a runner, doesn't matter where he's at. The punter only gets protection when he's kicking or just kicked.

“Running into or roughing the kicker or holder. A defensive player shall neither run into the kicker nor holder, which is contact that displaces the kicker or holder without roughing; nor block, tackle or charge into the kicker of a scrimmage “kick, or the place-kick holder, other than when:

a. Contact is unavoidable because it is not reasonably certain that a kick will be made.

b. The defense touches the kick near the kicker and contact is unavoidable.

c. Contact is slight and is partially caused by movement of the kicker.

d. Contact is caused by R being blocked into the kicker or holder by K.â€

• 3 weeks later...

No. If he is holding the ball he can be hit since he is a runner, doesn't matter where he's at. The punter only gets protection when he's kicking or just kicked.

“Running into or roughing the kicker or holder. A defensive player shall neither run into the kicker nor holder, which is contact that displaces the kicker or holder without roughing; nor block, tackle or charge into the kicker of a scrimmage “kick, or the place-kick holder, other than when:

a. Contact is unavoidable because it is not reasonably certain that a kick will be made.

b. The defense touches the kick near the kicker and contact is unavoidable.

c. Contact is slight and is partially caused by movement of the kicker.

d. Contact is caused by R being blocked into the kicker or holder by K.â€

thank You... was always curious as to why players would not just tackle them when they are rugby style kicking

2 questions...

1. is it intentional grounding when the QB throws the ball over the head of the receiver and out of bounds on a screen pass?

2. is it pass interference when the ball is 20 yards overthrown and no possible way for the catch to be made?

thanks

1 - it can be if you deem the throw was made in an effort to just throw it away. Will you ever see it called? Probably not.

2 - there is no such thing as an uncatchable ball in high school. So yes, it can be pass interference.

It's not a secret, TSSAA are now "short" or will be "short" of officials/referees. I'm curious, in your opinion, what needs to be done in order to change it and make the younger generation get into refereeing football games/other sports? I'm focusing on football sense we're both football officials.

I've wondered the same. Our numbers have drops by about 50 or so since I started a few years ago. We have new guys every year but they don't always stick it out. I think many don't want to work youth games the first couple of years. Many want to be on the field on Friday nights. If you've been around a while you know it takes probably 2-3 years before you're ready to even try Friday nights.

I am not sure how to recruit new guys. We ran an ad on the radio at one time but that was a one day thing.

We basically get new guys by word of mouth. I think it would be a good idea to go on college or possibly high school