Playoff time. Pub VS Private

bigstick#1

It all depends on the mission of the school,It can be a huge advantage or could even be a disadvantage. You can't stack um in the same pile.

Agree ...it can be a huge advantage if the mission is sports.

Seems that the advantage is greatest in the smaller classifications.

Small mostly rural schools just can't compete the the privates money and ability to attract

players from a large area. In the upper classes larger public systems can compete.

Side note....all semi finalists for girls soccer in A-AA state were private.

I bet public soccer coaches wish the privates would compete in Div II

Edited by TwinCityT

Small mostly rural schools just can't compete the the privates money and ability to attract

players from a large area. In the upper classes larger public systems can compete.

The multiplier probably evens things out with the privates still in 1a and 2a, with one or 2 exceptions.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out A-AA basketball. 3 yrs ago Clark-Range (public) went undefeated won the state too. Had a girl "transfer/move" from Monteray HS to Clark-Range HS her Senior year - it's either 20 mi or 20 minutes apart between those schools. Everything was done according to rules - If you go back in the woods and hills of TN you will see all kind of 'transferring" in the smaller/rural areas. Gibson County ain't too bad either.......

• 4 months later...

The multiplier probably evens things out with the privates still in 1a and 2a, with one or 2 exceptions.

The multiplier does help,but the ratio is too high for schools who don't place athletics above academics,and too small for those who do.FCS has state titles in boys b-ball,football,girls volleyball,and are favored by most to add baseball to the list shortly in one calender year!What are the chances that a school with 550 total students (from K3 to 12) "accidently" assembles four consecutive graduating classes containing 14 to 18 year olds with enough athletic abality to win championships in multiple (3 or 4) sports?The odds against such an occourance are so astronomical that it'd blow a calculators curcit board if you tried to figure them.The schools own website proudly proclaims that over seventy percent of students at the high school level participate in sports programs...I translate those numbers into the fact that they're aim is assembling all-star athletic teams in all sports,that non athletic applicants must be discriminated against,and challenge anyone who thinks differently to figure the percentages of public school students who are affiliated with sports(best I can figure,the public closest to me is well under 25%).Am I calling someone a cheater...NO,but the rules need to be "tweaked" if they can be manipulated to this extent in order to excell at sports. The original agenda for the creation of the multiplier was to "level the playing field" and nullify the advantage held by the privates over the publics...FCS has demonstrated without a doubt that the deck can still be stacked.

The multiplier does help,but the ratio is too high for schools who don't place athletics above academics,and too small for those who do.FCS has state titles in boys b-ball,football,girls volleyball,and are favored by most to add baseball to the list shortly in one calender year!What are the chances that a school with 550 total students (from K3 to 12) "accidently" assembles four consecutive graduating classes containing 14 to 18 year olds with enough athletic abality to win championships in multiple (3 or 4) sports?The odds against such an occourance are so astronomical that it'd blow a calculators curcit board if you tried to figure them.The schools own website proudly proclaims that over seventy percent of students at the high school level participate in sports programs...I translate those numbers into the fact that they're aim is assembling all-star athletic teams in all sports,that non athletic applicants must be discriminated against,and challenge anyone who thinks differently to figure the percentages of public school students who are affiliated with sports(best I can figure,the public closest to me is well under 25%).Am I calling someone a cheater...NO,but the rules need to be "tweaked" if they can be manipulated to this extent in order to excell at sports. The original agenda for the creation of the multiplier was to "level the playing field" and nullify the advantage held by the privates over the publics...FCS has demonstrated without a doubt that the deck can still be stacked.

The reason that FC is proud to proclaim that 70% of their students do participate in athletics is because FC wants to promote well rounded young people. Many of that 70% would not participate in a sport if he/she went to the local public school, but are encouraged and feel more accepted to participate in athletics in a much smaller setting. Are there students at FC that would play at the local publics? Of course, but others wouldn't and have greatly benefited from being at FC and getting the opportunity to make memories that they other wise wouldn't have had. I understand that my opinion means nothing to those that oppose it and I will never begin to change your mind, but it is how FC views it's promotion of sports.

Edited by orangecrush

The reason that FC is proud to proclaim that 70% of their students do participate in athletics is because FC wants to promote well rounded young people. Many of that 70% would not participate in a sport if he/she went to the local public school, but are encouraged and feel more accepted to participate in athletics in a much smaller setting. Are there students at FC that would play at the local publics? Of course, but others wouldn't and have greatly benefited from being at FC and getting the opportunity to make memories that they other wise wouldn't have had. I understand that my opinion means nothing to those that oppose it and I will never begin to change your mind, but it is how FC views it's promotion of sports.

And I'm supposed to believe that these "well rounded" kids who were encouraged to participate for their own well-being somehow were magicly transformed into state championship athletes? You can't have it both ways...advertise the program as one of the best athleticly in the state in order to attract potential players to apply for admission(I didn't use the "R" word),win championships in three or four TSSAA sanctioned sports,and then argue that the system is not flawed if equality is the goal...can you? Until Friendship is caught cheating(not saying that they are),I'm forced to assume that the multiplier is not the answer to the public schools problem of competing with teams consisting of players handpicked from large geographic areas.I'm an open-minded person by nature,not the cynical type that automaticly assumes that underhanded tactics are employed when programs succeed that can frequently be found "bashing" the privates on these boards, but the results being enjoyed by the Commanders over the last year are the proof needed for me to decide that the privates do indeed have the means and the opportunity to create an unfair advantage in any area in which they choose.Let me be the first to commend the administration at FCS on a job well done,they've accomplished an amazing feat in winning in so many diverse areas,all the while apparently adhering to guidelines set by the governing body(TSSAA). What im trying to illistrate is the fact that the rules favor the privates,multiplier and all,nothing more but nothing less. It is my opinion that all privates should be placed in the same division,and should compete with schools having the same restrictions and opportunities,whether they choose to pursue those advantages or not(I feel that those to which sports are most relevant would still dominate,just to a lesser degree),the choice would be theirs.Understand that this is intended to illuminate the advantages the privates enjoy over the publics,not a cheap shot at Friendship Christian in any way,everyone on these boards would love for their school of intrest to enjoy the success that the Commanders have,whether they'd admit it or not.

OC points out how FC can encourage students to play sports. At the school here there have been students who literally would rather take a zero than run a lap or two in gym class, or won't bring proper attire (T-shirt and shorts) because they'd rather sit-again drawing a zero. Those students and any with similar lack of want-to will never get out on a ball field or court and that's a major difference between private and public schools.

No, not all private schools are big winners in sports. Looking at results the past few years it seems like most of your lesser teams are usually just starting programs or are among the smallest in their divisions. Usually if they're established they're at the very least competitive if not very strong, or dominating.

OC points out how FC can encourage students to play sports. At the school here there have been students who literally would rather take a zero than run a lap or two in gym class, or won't bring proper attire (T-shirt and shorts) because they'd rather sit-again drawing a zero. Those students and any with similar lack of want-to will never get out on a ball field or court and that's a major difference between private and public schools.

No, not all private schools are big winners in sports. Looking at results the past few years it seems like most of your lesser teams are usually just starting programs or are among the smallest in their divisions. Usually if they're established they're at the very least competitive if not very strong, or dominating.

It all starts at home. Parents who are willing to sacrifice to get their kids the best education possible are also the parents that spend time with their kids, are out playing ball with the kid when he or she is pre-kindergarten, read to him/her, encourage him/her to be the best they can at whatever they do, etc. The privates can do a much better job of nurturing these kids once they get it, but they have a huge advantage because they aren't being overrun with kids whose parents use the public school system as a babysitter.