Georgia separates public/private in Class A

BillVol

You could split for playoffs easily, and you could possibly even have all the current Division II schools back in the regular season districts if public vs private games did not count in playoff positioning. The teams that might be affected negatively would be current Division II, small schools, as right now the Division I privates are probably stronger as a whole despite no aid.

You would have to determine the playoff qualification process, whether wildcards or such, since some districts would have different amounts of public and private school teams. It shouldn't be any more difficult than the current Division I playoff mess.

Edited by Indian

Notice that this is for the private and public schools in the lowest classification only. Georgia did have 5 classifications and now they will have 6. Not the same as Tennessee where we have D2 for schools who provide Financial Aid as well as a 1.8 enrollment multiplier for "independent" schools in D1.

Edited by Bighurt

Yeah, from the comments it seems the reason they couldn't do it for larger classes was the lack of private schools except for the smallest division.

You could do it here and even have three private school playoff groups, one for the smallest, one for the teams like Boyd-Buchanan, Friendship and BGA, and then one for the current Division II large teams. Plug those schools back into Division I. I really don't think most of the Division I schools would mind BGA, St George's coming onto their schedule since some already play Friendship and Boyd-Buchanan. The largest schools might not like playing Ensworth and the like, but if it didn't count on their playoff positioning they'd get over it.

Yeah, from the comments it seems the reason they couldn't do it for larger classes was the lack of private schools except for the smallest division.

You could do it here and even have three private school playoff groups, one for the smallest, one for the teams like Boyd-Buchanan, Friendship and BGA, and then one for the current Division II large teams. Plug those schools back into Division I. I really don't think most of the Division I schools would mind BGA, St George's coming onto their schedule since some already play Friendship and Boyd-Buchanan. The largest schools might not like playing Ensworth and the like, but if it didn't count on their playoff positioning they'd get over it.

I like this concept. SP plays Boyd every year anyway for example and are playing GCA next year as well as this past year and they are one of the smallest 1a teams. I can see A, AA, AAA and AAAA for Tennessee with ALL schools in about 16 districts for the regular season and separate out the privates for the playoffs. The 3 private brackets would be a bit tricky but no more so than the Mess in 1a this year. In fact school size could be used to separate out the 3 private brackets.

I think it would work out well too, with a big reason being most of your tougher, smaller size private school teams are already playing Division I.

You could do it different ways, if you did it as it is now and kept football and basketball districts the same Class A would have far fewer football teams than the other classes. Or you could take the football schools and divide by four. That's what I would prefer but I understand how they want to keep rivalries going across basketball and football.

Around Chattanooga, if you took the football schools and placed them into four classes, it would be something like this with this year's numbers (some might have more than one area district/region:

A: Chattanooga Grace, Lookout Valley, Copper Basin, Silverdale, South Pittsburg, Boyd-Buchanan, Whitwell, Notre Dame

AA: Chattanooga Christian, Marion County, Meigs County, Tyner, Bledsoe County, Sweetwater, Polk County, Howard, Brainerd, Sequatchie, Grundy, Signal Mountain

AAA: Red Bank, Hixson, McMinn Central (could move east), East Ridge, Sequoyah, Chattanooga Central, East Hamilton

AAAA: Baylor (moved up), McCallie, Cleveland, Rhea County, Ooltewah, Soddy-Daisy, McMinn County, Walker Valley, Bradley Central

If you did it like it is currently and had the classes the same across most sports, regardless of whether they have a football team or not-Whitwell and ND would be AA, Sequatchie. Grundy, Signal would be AAA, the rest would stay the same if Baylor and McCallie moved up to the highest group.

Like most such projections I've seen nothing giving an impression this will ever happen in TN, it's just interesting to look at since Georgia is doing something similar for their smallest group.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would work out well too, with a big reason being most of your tougher, smaller size private school teams are already playing Division I.

You could do it different ways, if you did it as it is now and kept football and basketball districts the same Class A would have far fewer football teams than the other classes. Or you could take the football schools and divide by four. That's what I would prefer but I understand how they want to keep rivalries going across basketball and football.

Around Chattanooga, if you took the football schools and placed them into four classes, it would be something like this with this year's numbers (some might have more than one area district/region:

A: Chattanooga Grace, Lookout Valley, Copper Basin, Silverdale, South Pittsburg, Boyd-Buchanan, Whitwell, Notre Dame

AA: Chattanooga Christian, Marion County, Meigs County, Tyner, Bledsoe County, Sweetwater, Polk County, Howard, Brainerd, Sequatchie, Grundy, Signal Mountain

AAA: Red Bank, Hixson, McMinn Central (could move east), East Ridge, Sequoyah, Chattanooga Central, East Hamilton

AAAA: Baylor (moved up), McCallie, Cleveland, Rhea County, Ooltewah, Soddy-Daisy, McMinn County, Walker Valley, Bradley Central

If you did it like it is currently and had the classes the same across most sports, regardless of whether they have a football team or not-Whitwell and ND would be AA, Sequatchie. Grundy, Signal would be AAA, the rest would stay the same if Baylor and McCallie moved up to the highest group.

Like most such projections I've seen nothing giving an impression this will ever happen in TN, it's just interesting to look at since Georgia is doing something similar for their smallest group.

I think that if you at the records of what teams have won championships at the 1a, 2a, and even possibly 3a, I am am including Alcoa as private, that the privates have dominated the championships and the playoffs as a whole

I think that if you at the records of what teams have won championships at the 1a, 2a, and even possibly 3a, I am am including Alcoa as private, that the privates have dominated the championships and the playoffs as a whole

There needs to be a change in the total playoff system. Seperate all public and private schools for the playoffs and put tuition publics in with the other tuition schools, the privates. The non tuition public schools should not have to compete with tuition publics for a championship,and the publics should not have to compete with private schools for a championship, just so private schools don't have to spend money on travel. Let them all play each other during the regular season, if the want to. Seperate everyone fairly for the playoffs. The statistics show who has an unfair advantage. TSSAA needs to change things, instead of just collecting money.