Transfer Rule

crazeedave

What is the actual transfer rule in Tennessee from Public to Private. I have a freshman daughter that plays softball at a public school. We would have sent her to the local Private Christian school had we had the resources this year. We now have been fortunate enough to gain those resources and would love to send her to the Private school next year; however, we don't want her to have to sit out a year of softball either. I have heard something about a 20 mile rule, anyone out there able to clarify any of this for me? Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the actual transfer rule in Tennessee from Public to Private. I have a freshman daughter that plays softball at a public school. We would have sent her to the local Private Christian school had we had the resources this year. We now have been fortunate enough to gain those resources and would love to send her to the Private school next year; however, we don't want her to have to sit out a year of softball either. I have heard something about a 20 mile rule, anyone out there able to clarify any of this for me? Thanks

Link to the TSSAA handbook - http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbookindex.htm

If you're going from public to private the range to be immediately eligible is 20 miles (as the crow flies, I assume). Inside that range, sitting out a year is required.

What did the public school lack, just throwing that question out.

The school is O.K., but we have wanted our Daughter to go to a Christian school that has Christian Principles built within the curriculum as well. We have just not been able to afford it until recently.

So you are saying if we live inside a 20 mile radius of the private school, she would have to sit out a year, but if we were to live more than 20 miles from the school, she would be immediately eligible?

Thanks for the info

Soooo your local private school didn't notice her until she played a year for a public school. Couldn't afford the private until they found out she could play. HMMMM!!

Soooo your local private school didn't notice her until she played a year for a public school. Couldn't afford the private until they found out she could play. HMMMM!!

No..... not liking what you are implying and assuming. Our better fortune finance-wise is due from an inheritance from a family estate. Nobody from the private school has ever contacted us. I'm sure there are shady things like that going on from time to time, but that isn't the case here. It's not really about the softball, but about the Christian curriculum. However, I would hate for her to have to sit out a year for a sport she likes playing. My daughter is no all-star by any means. This post of yours just goes to show how sad athletics and such have gotten in this country.

No..... not liking what you are implying and assuming. Our better fortune finance-wise is due from an inheritance from a family estate. Nobody from the private school has ever contacted us. I'm sure there are shady things like that going on from time to time, but that isn't the case here. It's not really about the softball, but about the Christian curriculum. However, I would hate for her to have to sit out a year for a sport she likes playing. My daughter is no all-star by any means. This post of yours just goes to show how sad athletics and such have gotten in this country.

Yep, it is sad and regardless of what people say over half the time what I was implying and assuming is the truth. It's so bad that I don't know you, the school you're talking about moving to , or the one you're leaving yet I still don't believe everything you said in your last post. I'm not trying to personally attack anyone but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that "inheritance" money came from a long lost great aunt who just happens to have went to the church that sponsors the private school. I hope you know the school well and aren't just assuming the "Christian Curriculum" is priority one at this school.

Yep, it is sad and regardless of what people say over half the time what I was implying and assuming is the truth. It's so bad that I don't know you, the school you're talking about moving to , or the one you're leaving yet I still don't believe everything you said in your last post. I'm not trying to personally attack anyone but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that "inheritance" money came from a long lost great aunt who just happens to have went to the church that sponsors the private school. I hope you know the school well and aren't just assuming the "Christian Curriculum" is priority one at this school.

I know the school and am researching them even further (Class sizes, class offerings, and such). No, the inheritance came from my Father's estate that passed away less than a year ago. If we move on this, it will be completely on our own dime. Again,nobody has ever pursued us from the school. We are the ones that have sought info out about the school. Again, I am sure you are correct in your assumptions in some cases, but you are very wrong in this one.