TSSAA proposed 5-class football regions

Bill#49

Please Vote  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the change?

2. 2. Would you support a complete separation between public & private schools?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted no as well. I would be in favor of a 5 class system provided that the multiplier was either eliminated or lowered to something like a 1.2-1.5. Can anyone provide a link or information including enrollment figures that is being used to calculate who would go in what region under a 5 class system. I just don't understand how schools the size of Milan and Westview could possibly be classified as 2A under a 5 class system. Those two would simply dominate the other schools in the region they are proposed to go into. I also have trouble seeing schools like McKenzie and Adamsville being classified as 1A under what I have seen proposed.

I think the numbers, or close to what's being used, can be found at the Tennessee Department of Education website. You can look up individual school systems then scroll down to the school. The enrollments determining current classes are several years old and lots has changed at some schools. If a four-class system can't be used, and from the articles I've read it seems there is no way for that one, I'd stay with six with a three class regular season. The "McMinn County vs Lincoln County" region matchup stands out as a particular reason why the five class group was ended in the first place a few years back.

I think the numbers, or close to what's being used, can be found at the Tennessee Department of Education website. You can look up individual school systems then scroll down to the school. The enrollments determining current classes are several years old and lots has changed at some schools. If a four-class system can't be used, and from the articles I've read it seems there is no way for that one, I'd stay with six with a three class regular season. The "McMinn County vs Lincoln County" region matchup stands out as a particular reason why the five class group was ended in the first place a few years back.

If they went to 4 classes, you would have to do away with the multiplier. It would create a blood bath type situation for some privates in regards to who they would have to play in region games. It would be bad enough in a 5 class system without a multiplier reduction or elimination. Kids would be getting hurt bad. I saw it happen under our current system last year.

There will be a total split before an elimination of the multiplier. Four classes would not be unreasonable, probably not a whole lot of difference than the current breakdowns in the three class regular season. That's just with football playing schools. If you do it with all regardless of football it would be different. The reason it's the same across sports right now is to help with rivalries and money games-which would be heavily affected by a move back to five classes.

Edited by Indian

Chatt Central is listed twice in different classes while CCS isnt on the list at all

CCS should be in the 825 range after the multiplier so they were probably inadvertently listed as Chattanooga Central. There were a few typos and such they will fix in any official, final listings.

There will be a total split before an elimination of the multiplier. Four classes would not be unreasonable, cutoffs would be about 500, 825 and 1250, not a whole lot more than current breakdowns in the three class regular season. That's just with football playing schools. If you do it with all regardless of football it would be different. The reason it's the same across sports right now is to help with rivalries and money games-which would be heavily affected by a move back to five classes.

Simply don't see the TSSAA going to 4 classes. They (the TSSAA)would be throwing away too much money. Six championships down to four. It ain't gonna happen. If it did though, I don't think you would have to worry about a split, cause without getting rid of the multiplier, I'd see most of the privates left in D1 going to D2.

Under the current system, there were 11 teams who made the playoffs across the 6 classes with sub 500 records. In 2006, which was the last year for a 5 class system with the top 4 in each region making the tournaments in each class, there were 18 teams who made the tournament accross the board in the 5 classes with sub 500 records. The evidence indicates that we have a better playoff fields under the current system.

Edited by ReitzFan

I voted yes not necessarily it's my favorite option, but I would like something like this more so than the 6 classification system they have right now. However, I agree with Indian, split them up in 4 classes and put the privates in divison II. I look at region 4 and it changes absolutely nothing other that MTCS moving into the region, why?, and Jackson County moving moving to class 2A.

Edited by swanson71

If you go to four classes across the board that adds state finals in other sports, more revenue. Having all private schools in Division II would offer the chance to have three reasonable Division II classes (smallest in Class A, BGA, Boyd-Buch types in AA, McCallie, Ensworth, etc in AAA). There would still be 7 football championships. There should be no reason to cut down the state tournament qualifiers in basketball, baseball and softball from eight to four if four classes are put in place. Just have more venues. That sounds like a threat to quieten down support for a move to four classes.

I do see the point on possible difficulty in forming regions/districts with four classes, especially if private schools were to go to Division II (and I've read nothing of it being discussed at all). I mentioned it elsewhere so I'll try to be brief-with 16 districts you'd have very small groupings, averaging a little over four teams; with 8 regions they'd be really spread out (think the football regions being proposed, with baseball travel on weeknights). Go to 12 regions, averaging about 6-7 in each. In the postseason in basketball, determine your four teams in a district tournament, then 12 total teams from Regions 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12 go to a sectional, similar to a briefly used format they tried about 12 years ago. Sectional champ and runner-up go to the state tournament, 8 teams at the state. Baseball and softball could have similar postseasons. In football the number of teams involved in the figuring would be reduced, just go with 8 regions in these.

I didn't look at all the classes, just what would be the AA group, but you could easily form 12 regions as follows: Northeast Tennessee, Greeneville-Gatlinburg area, Knoxville to Kingston area, Cleveland-Chattanooga, Chattanooga-Sequatchie Valley, Upper Cumberland, Nashville area, West of Nashville area, Lower Middle TN, Jackson area and two in Memphis.