TSSAA proposed 5-class football regions

Bill#49

Please Vote  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the change?

2. 2. Would you support a complete separation between public & private schools?

If you go to four classes across the board that adds state finals in other sports, more revenue. Having all private schools in Division II would offer the chance to have three reasonable Division II classes (smallest in Class A, BGA, Boyd-Buch types in AA, McCallie, Ensworth, etc in AAA). There would still be 7 football championships. There should be no reason to cut down the state tournament qualifiers in basketball, baseball and softball from eight to four if four classes are put in place. Just have more venues. That sounds like a threat to quieten down support for a move to four classes.

I do see the point on possible difficulty in forming regions/districts with four classes, especially if private schools were to go to Division II (and I've read nothing of it being discussed at all). I mentioned it elsewhere so I'll try to be brief-with 16 districts you'd have very small groupings, averaging a little over four teams; with 8 regions they'd be really spread out (think the football regions being proposed, with baseball travel on weeknights). Go to 12 regions, averaging about 6-7 in each. In the postseason in basketball, determine your four teams in a district tournament, then 12 total teams from Regions 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12 go to a sectional, similar to a briefly used format they tried about 12 years ago. Sectional champ and runner-up go to the state tournament, 8 teams at the state. Baseball and softball could have similar postseasons. In football the number of teams involved in the figuring would be reduced, just go with 8 regions in these.

I didn't look at all the classes, just what would be the AA group, but you could easily form 12 regions as follows: Northeast Tennessee, Greeneville-Gatlinburg area, Knoxville to Kingston area, Cleveland-Chattanooga, Chattanooga-Sequatchie Valley, Upper Cumberland, Nashville area, West of Nashville area, Lower Middle TN, Jackson area and two in Memphis.

Squaw, please stop. You makin my head hurt.:wacko:

confused.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too complicated, the specifics used just made it longer. They don't seem to care too much for a four-class system, even less for a complete split. Part of the reason is probably how the districts would be formed, another may be wanting to keep things the same so they throw out the five-class proposed regions which don't seem too popular. This is just an alternate way of going four-class, no private schools, using a system (sectionals) they tried once before. It ends up with 8 teams at the state tournament in basketball.

Put All The Privates In Division II And Call It The Jimmy Swaggart Division! With Cute Lil Uniforms And Buckle Shoes...It'll Be A Hoot!

Now Butchie, don't make me get out another slice of Crow Pie for you. That 2010 slice has got to be a tough one to swallow and that 2006 slice is rather chewy as well.

Voted no. I'd prefer four-classes across the board, in football, basketball, baseball, softball, with private schools in Division II. Divide them equally by the number playing each sport, not the total number regardless since some don't have football.

I agree with you but I voted yes because the current system was created following a night of bathing in bath salts.