Elizabethton vs South Greene/Happy Valley vs Grainger

grassroots176

Once again it's lose or go home for two of these four teams.Elizabethton is playing very good basketball at the moment both offensively and defensively getting alot of balanced scoring with the emergence of both kayla and kelsey marasites.The Cyclones are very efficient rebounding the basketball and make you work on the defensive end of the floor.South Greene is going to have to be physical on the defensive end right off the bat and not let the Cyclones get comfortable shots. I think if South Greene can get a good night from Cutshaw offensively and their other guards can knockdown some big shots than the lady Rebels will have a chance.But I think there is to much fire power for South Greene to play four quarters with this lady Cyclones bunch.

David vs Goliath should be the title of the next matchup between Happy Valley vs the #1 team in the state Grainger County. Happy Valley is on a hot streak right now with the amazing guard play from Shaley Perry and Mackenzie Blankenship both offensive scoring threats.The lady Warriors are going to have to shoot the ball well and have a good game plan defensively in order to stay in the game with this oversized Grainger County basketball team.This is one of those game that the lady Warriors is going to have to use their run and gun style of play to perfection to try and wear this Grainger County team down.

Best of luck to both Grainger County and South Greene traveling on Monday night should be a good night of basketball.

Amen...

The all mighty and powerful Grainger isn't worried about playing someone on a non neutral court are they?!? Grainger is good enough from what I've read on here to spot other teams points before the game even starts. Just use that as motivation too, you know poor us against the world. I mean it's a travesty that the trophy for AA hasn't already been handed over to the Grizzles!

It looks like this regional semi-final has some great matchups. I think both games will be high scoring, too many offensive threats on all four teams. The only thing that bothers me is this type of game is not played on a neutral court. You earn the right to host a sub-state, not a regional game.

Wait. If AA is playing at Elizabethton, then why is A stuck playing at CDMS??

Grainger is certainly beatable, but no one has been able to do it so far. South Greene lost badly to them in both season games, then by 10 in the tournament. Elizabethton handled South Greene easily this season, once by the last time b y 30 points I think. So as much as I would like to see South Greene beat Elizabethton, I don't see it happening. And I doubt if Happy Valley can beat Grainger either. Got to hand it to both Grainger and Elizabethton, they are dominating teams. They most likely have easy wins on Monday setting up the face off between the two on Wednesday. That should be some game to watch. But it is not certain. That is why they play the games.

The all mighty and powerful Grainger isn't worried about playing someone on a non neutral court are they?!? Grainger is good enough from what I've read on here to spot other teams points before the game even starts. Just use that as motivation too, you know poor us against the world. I mean it's a travesty that the trophy for AA hasn't already been handed over to the Grizzles!

You mad bro???? By the way, I'm pretty sure it's spelled Grizzlies instead of Grizzlies. I'm just spelling the way you wish you could.

What Grizzly fans have whined? And if they lose in Regions it will be baecause someone outplayed them on that night and deserved to win. I think what was being stated above is that playing important games like Region semis and championship games should happen on a neutral floor rather than on someone's home floor. I think you're rather naive if you can't admit that hosting the region tournament gives the host team an advantage that was set by officials prior to the season not one that they earned by winning certain games like hosting the substate or even the first round of the region. But seriously, calm down. All that hate that you've built up on the Grizzlies is not healthy. Who are you a fan of?

I'm just a fan in general but I do root for Betsy. I don't want to sound like I'm against Grainger at all. In fact, I think they are a very good team with a great coach. Just think sometimes people I've talked to are always talking about "no one gives them enough credit".

Truth is the Lady Grizzlies do get a lot of grief on this message board about having a great record last year and not getting past substate or losing to a great Betsy team the year before in the Region semis. Which was a team by the way that lost only once in the regular season only to drop the first game of the state tourney, but that doesn't mean they weren't a super team. I think people are way too quick to look at teams with great overall records and sneer or belittle what they've accomplished if they don't win a state championship. What people don't realize is that substate is an accomplishment that only 16 teams from each classification get to claim. That means that 100+ other schools in that classification are on the outside looking in at that accomplishment. Another thing that people don't realize is that this Lady Grizzly program had suffered several losing or around 500 seasons going back to the old Rutledge High until as recently as 4 years ago. Since then, they have won 98 games in the last 4 years against only 26 losses. The last three years are even more impressive, with 85 wins versus only 13 losses. Yes, they haven't been to the state during this run, but to get to the state and win it, lots of things need to fall in line. Avoiding injuries and catching breaks like hosting the region tourney on the same year that you have a team capable of winning it all are crucial to tourney success. Plus, you need to be playing your best basketball at tourney time. Hosting tourneys doesn't guarantee victory, but it doesn't hurt. Last year, the Lady Grizzlies ran into Chuckey-Doak in the Region Championship game on Chuckey-Doaks home floor. CD won fair and square by outplaying Grainger down the stretch, but to say that wasn't an advantage that they didn't earn (considering they had lost the 1st 3 meetings to Grainger) is not being realistic. This year if Grainger is fortunate enough to get by a very good Happy Valley team, they will most likely face Betsy on their home floor in another Region championship game. Advantage Betsy. Again not saying that will determine the outcome, but it can't hurt Betsy. With the current system that TSSAA has in place of selecting certain schools to host Region tourneys and not others, rather than having a set rotation where every school gets a chance to host or using neutral sites, you just have to suck it up and go play. Nothing else you can do about it. I am not making excuses for anyone, just being realistic. It's not Betsy's fault they were selected to host. It is fortunate timing for them however considering the caliber team they have this season. They are a powerhouse team, and will be a tough out for anybody on any floor anywhere, but even better in their home gym. That's not taking anything away from them, because they are super no matter where they play, but it is the truth. Maybe one year Grainger and its state of the art, 2,500 seat gymnasium will get selected to host and that will coincide with them having a team that's good enough to contend for the title. With the current system, that's all you can hope for.

I would like to see our high school system play the tournament format like college (no home games). The use of neutral sites would be easy for both districts. District 1 could use ETSU or Milligan for a host site and District 2 could use Tusculum or Walters State for a host site. I just wanna see great teams play each other with only talent and execution being the deciding factor.