Clint's Line in the Sand?

So is Trousdale Co.Director of Schools Clint Satterfield pushing the separation of public and private schools in athletics? http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130507/SPORTS07/305070027 I had heard he had a proposal to bring the two divisions back together. And could this actually help the private schools by sending the students who don't play football to surrounding counties? As a parent of a girl (not in TC), I would be calling my county commissioner and the director himself asking why he won't even give her a chance to compete, win or lose, for championships. And my coaches always told me in order to get better you have to play better competition. What are your thoughts?

Satterfield is the one who proposed that all private and public schools play each other during the regular season and then have separate playoffs. That got voted down handily. Now he wants to take his ball and go home. The only reason he is not forfeiting in football also is that He would then not be eligible for the playoffs and you can't have that in Hartsville. If the TSSAA would put that rule across the board for ALL sports instead of just football, I bet he would get over himself.

I just see it as a major insult to every girl and the boys who don't play football. The multiplier is the "agreed-upon equalizer" for this issue. If I read the enrollment chart correctly Trousdale has 391 students in grades 9-12. If you back out the multiplier, Goodpasture would only have 335. I know they will argue their 335 are recruited, better athletes, etc. But I refer you back to the earlier point of the multiplier. If that isn't enough, go through the process and change it. But don't take your ball and go home, mentioned in bigcheif's post.

Edited by GeorgeBailey

Satterfield is the one who proposed that all private and public schools play each other during the regular season and then have separate playoffs. That got voted down handily. Now he wants to take his ball and go home. The only reason he is not forfeiting in football also is that He would then not be eligible for the playoffs and you can't have that in Hartsville. If the TSSAA would put that rule across the board for ALL sports instead of just football, I bet he would get over himself.

He might tell TSSAA to go get drunk, and withdraw from there crappyclassless organization...lying, cheating, thieving crooks...

The other sports also have a postseason district tournament, you can overcome a forfeit in the regular season. In football, it might be the difference between getting in and not getting in, or going on the road at a powerhouse.

Edited by Indian

Would love to hear from some Trousdale parents who actually have kids being affected by this.

Really?....Its not a big deal around here...i've talked to several parents already, they were thrilled to not have to drive to Madison...now if we can just get RBS and Gville on board...maybe Watertown and Merrol Hyde will change their stance and join along...

Can anybody answer my question of WHY did GP decide to move down?

Really?....Its not a big deal around here...i've talked to several parents already, they were thrilled to not have to drive to Madison...now if we can just get RBS and Gville on board...maybe Watertown and Merrol Hyde will change their stance and join along...

I have been told by an old Goodpasture alum that they have 100+ less students than during the last classification period. I am sure that the poor economy has not helped Goodpasture and all the other private schools.

Yes, really, Slim. I'd like to hear from someone in TC with a child who doesn't play football. I don't really want to hear what YOU say they are saying. I'd also wonder how the coaches of the "PE Class" sports feel about being told they have no chance to compete for district, region or state titles as long as GP is in the mix. I bet they are sharpening their resume's.

And to your question about moving down, check out the reclassification page at this link http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/classification.cfm. Their size would make them 1A and the rule is you can't move up 2 classes. It was also a decision by a small handful of administrators, so I'm told. Not a popular decision with the masses, though.

Yes, really, Slim. I'd like to hear from someone in TC with a child who doesn't play football. I don't really want to hear what YOU say they are saying. I'd also wonder how the coaches of the "PE Class" sports feel about being told they have no chance to compete for district, region or state titles as long as GP is in the mix. I bet they are sharpening their resume's.

And to your question about moving down, check out the reclassification page at this link http://www.tssaa.org...ssification.cfm. Their size would make them 1A and the rule is you can't move up 2 classes. It was also a decision by a small handful of administrators, so I'm told. Not a popular decision with the masses, though.

Well as far as that goes 1A is a sub-class of Class A..IN FOOTBALL ONLY...if it were classed off of ACTUAL CLASSES such as baseball,softball,basketball,soccer,track and every other sport EXCEPT football....they would be moved to class AA as a result of the multiplier.

So i guess it just depends on interpretation.

Well as far as that goes 1A is a sub-class of Class A..IN FOOTBALL ONLY...if it were classed off of ACTUAL CLASSES such as baseball,softball,basketball,soccer,track and every other sport EXCEPT football....they would be moved to class AA as a result of the multiplier.

So i guess it just depends on interpretation.

But it's not. So it doesn't depend on interpretation. Sub-class? All teams play in one of 3 classes in the regular season - A, AA and AAA. In the playoffs they divide them into 6 classes. It's stupid but it's the way it is. The TSSAA loves their 8 championships. No way they reduce the number of classes.

Edited by GeorgeBailey