Church subsidies of tuition

MountainTroll

Don't want to turn this into another public vs. private thread.  I do think that there should be a public/private split, with the private division having financial aid and non-financial aid subdivisions.  I also think that OZ schools should have a multiplier.

The point of this thread is to ask the question of whether a church subsidizing students' tuition constitutes financial aid, as defined by the T$$AA.

My opinion, for what it's worth.  If a church wants to subsidize the operating budget of a school it owns to lower tuition for all students, that is fine.  If a school charges a base tuition, and the church writes a check to the school specifically subsidizing only certain students' tuition, that should be considered financial aid.  It may seem like a subtle difference, but it opens the system to abuse, and according to the T$$AA By-Laws, a church paying a portion of a student's tuition is financial aid.  Change the By-Laws to give religious organizations an exemption if you don't like it, but don't ignore the By-Laws as they are currently written.

You still have not answered my question Troll. You are saying you are 100% sure a player from a church based school, who is playing varsity sports, is receiving financial assistance? You are 100% sure, right Troll?

My opinion, for what it's worth.  If a church wants to subsidize the operating budget of a school it owns to lower tuition for all students, that is fine.  If a school charges a base tuition, and the church writes a check to the school specifically subsidizing only certain students' tuition, that should be considered financial aid.  It may seem like a subtle difference, but it opens the system to abuse, and according to the T$$AA By-Laws, a church paying a portion of a student's tuition is financial aid.  Change the By-Laws to give religious organizations an exemption if you don't like it, but don't ignore the By-Laws as they are currently written.

Sounds like a logical argument. But the devil may be in the details of this. The school will not want to make annual changes up and down based on whether or not a church was able to make a gift in any particular year. If it's against the rules, then it should not be allowed. Ultimately, all privates will be forced to compete only against other privates. But I assure you the debate will not end. Privates will still be accused of stealing players who should have been in public schools in the opinion of the complainer. We live in a free country where we have choices. And those choices determine how we spend our money. I pay lots of county taxes for kids to get a public education. But my kids have never been the beneficiary. I will have quite a bit more to put toward my retirement when my last one graduates. No financial aid was granted to my kid. But in the meantime, it's the most important investment I can make. My choice.  It's not for everyone. And I've been blessed to be able to do it. I hope kids who truly want a better education can find a way to attend a private school. Not to take anything away from some fantastic public school teachers. Remember, private school financial aid is only allowed for families who can demonstrate NEED. It is not intended for athletic recruiting. I know intentions and reality may not be the same., though.

Sounds like a logical argument. But the devil may be in the details of this. The school will not want to make annual changes up and down based on whether or not a church was able to make a gift in any particular year. If it's against the rules, then it should not be allowed. Ultimately, all privates will be forced to compete only against other privates. But I assure you the debate will not end. Privates will still be accused of stealing players who should have been in public schools in the opinion of the complainer. We live in a free country where we have choices. And those choices determine how we spend our money. I pay lots of county taxes for kids to get a public education. But my kids have never been the beneficiary. I will have quite a bit more to put toward my retirement when my last one graduates. No financial aid was granted to my kid. But in the meantime, it's the most important investment I can make. My choice. It's not for everyone. And I've been blessed to be able to do it. I hope kids who truly want a better education can find a way to attend a private school. Not to take anything away from some fantastic public school teachers. Remember, private school financial aid is only allowed for families who can demonstrate NEED. It is not intended for athletic recruiting. I know intentions and reality may not be the same., though.

Great post!