2014 Jo Byrns Red Devils

MOTO24

Now that the season is over, let's discuss what lies ahead for next year...

Offense:

Losing: QB, 2 WR's, 2 OL

Right off the bat we know we've got a huge hole to fill at QB with Kevin Adkins gone.  I'm guessing the QB will be Conner Cathey (junior next year).  I believe he has a stronger arm than Kevin but he's not a running QB.  I also don't know how accurate he is.  Does anybody see things different at QB?  At this point, we can't expect to have the same production out of the QB position next year.  It's hard to replace a two-year starter who was the coach's son. However, I believe he was the starting QB as a freshman when he was in Illinois.  With all that said, I feel good about the QB position and I don't think it'll be a position of need.

The next big thing is replacing WR's Jesse Hyde & Zack Andavazo.  Sophomore Parker Baxley has shown this year that he's more than capable of stepping up and filling one of these spots.  Who else?  Will Jake Hyde move to WR or will he stay at TB?  We may not have two threats at WR but again, I think we will be fine at this position.

The last big thing to replace is the two offensive linemen in Jake Fletcher & Kiefer McCown.  Just looking at our roster, I think we'll have the size but I'm not sure about the skill.  Not much else to say hear other than we need these younger guys that have great size to step up.  I'll take a wait and see approach here.

Defense:

Losing: S, CB, 2 DL

Again, replacing Kevin Adkins (the leading tackler) will be tough.  I have no clue who will be back there next year.  Anybody have a guess?  Will it be the QB again?  I really don't know.  The other positions I think we'll be able to replace.  We may not have the same production early on but I think we'll get there.

So in summary, we're going to return a lot of players but it's going to be hard to replace Kevin Adkins.  We'll have to do it by committee and honestly that's how it should be.  We asked way too much of him this past year.  Also, there's still a big pink elephant in the room that's been there since Frankie Traughber went down 2+ years ago.  Who the heck is going to pound the rock?  We've been in the biggest RB drought in years at JB!  With no true threat at RB I think this team is going to struggle next year.  Yes, we'll be solid in most areas but we won't have that playmaker that we can ride deep into the playoffs.  If I'm Coach Adkins, I have two goals in the offseason: find or develop a RB & work on tackling like nobody's business. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Coach Adkins is thinking what I'm thinking:

“They’ve all three been a large part of what we’ve done this season. We have a good nucleus coming back, we just have to find some playmakers.†(from the Robertson County Times).

He was talking about losing Kevin, Jesse, & Zack.  One other thing to note from this quote.  Coach Adkins is coaching next year!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I see 7-3 a possibility with losses to Lancaster Christian,Eagleville and Nashville Christian.

That would be an improvement over the last three seasons so I'd take it at this point!  I know Lancaster's QB just picked up an offer from TN but I think JB can beat them.  We really let them off the hook this year.  Eagleville could have beat JB this past year so I could see them beating JB next year but don't they lose a lot?  Losing Hale will hurt them pretty bad.  NCS has some really good players returning but they lose some really key guys as well so we'll see how they turn out.  All things considered, 7-3 would be a solid year for JB.