Thoughts on the Marion County Scandal

billcolrus

The Marion County football scandal is really upsetting. It sends a horrible message to the players and, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that tons of other coaches across the county commit similar acts in the name of "winning." High school football coaches have a big responsibility—and winning football games isn't it.

Anyway... I wrote a piece on Nooga.com that summarizes my thoughts. Feel free to check it out.

http://nooga.com/164523/high-school-football-coaches-have-a-big-responsibilityand-winning-football-games-isnt-it/

Edited by billcolrus

Didn't even bother reading the article after seeing your headline. How can you say winning football games isn't part of a football coaches responsibility? Some people will argue that winning games shouldn't be their top priority or responsibility, but that was the main reason they was hired for the position in the first place.

I'm not going to put those guys down because their emotions carried them away and they went out and did something they shouldn't have. I hope they let that pass and the only thing that happens is their responsible for the damages and go on with life. Those guys are human and they made a real bad mistake so move forward and forget. That would be the best thing that would happen there.

I'm not going to put those guys down because their emotions carried them away and they went out and did something they shouldn't have. I hope they let that pass and the only thing that happens is their responsible for the damages and go on with life. Those guys are human and they made a real bad mistake so move forward and forget. That would be the best thing that would happen there.

It wuz all just a mole hill muckraked into a mountain to start with.  Stupid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jim Stowe had a quote that he was fond of..."I'm in the business of molding men...men win football games for you". He didn't mean strength and conditioning when he said molding men, he was referring to character. I'm with billcolrus, the thing that seperates great teams from teams with great players is the attitude and character that is taught by the coach...do it the right way and winning will come with it.