UNION CITY GOLDEN TORNADOES 2014

Halliday80

My biggest concern is a back up qb. We need to start getting someone ready to step in just in case GW has an injury. Anybody remember the last time we got caught unprepared? I know Moffitbran some qb this past season but it wouldn't hurt to give him some more opportunities if we get ahead in some games. Hungry and injury free is the ticket next season. One is about as hard to do as the other.

My biggest concern is a back up qb. We need to start getting someone ready to step in just in case GW has an injury. Anybody remember the last time we got caught unprepared? I know Moffitbran some qb this past season but it wouldn't hurt to give him some more opportunities if we get ahead in some games. Hungry and injury free is the ticket next season. One is about as hard to do as the other.

need to be sure to have Cooper Hurt ready too.

Cooper will be ready to go when his number is called.  We would like for him to start his reign his junior year.  That means Garret does well and stays healthy his senior year.  That will give Coop more time to learn this offense better.  Cooper will bring more of a passing threat to this offense and a power run.  He will lower his head and run over you.  I know this is High School and the boys/athletes are different but in junior Tornado football and middle school, Cooper had the ability to take over a game on both sides of the ball.  He was making passes as a 4th grader that the referees (who ref'd high school and college games) would come to the sidelines and say they have never seen someone his age do the things he was doing. I would call 2-3 plays in the huddle when he was in 5th and 6th grade for him to call at the line of scrimmage.  He did really, really well. By the time he is a junior he should be 6'1-6'2 range .. 190-200 lbs hopefully.  There are 2 other Jernigan family members (besides Cooper)  coming through the works that play quarterback.  His brother , Conner Hurt (future 8th grader) and  cousin, Grant Jernigan (future 6th grader)  On that note, UC should be in good hands Quarterback wise over the next 6 years.  Of course I'm their uncle and may be a little one sided here.

Cooper will be ready to go when his number is called.  We would like for him to start his reign his junior year.  That means Garret does well and stays healthy his senior year.  That will give Coop more time to learn this offense better.  Cooper will bring more of a passing threat to this offense and a power run.  He will lower his head and run over you.  I know this is High School and the boys/athletes are different but in junior Tornado football and middle school, Cooper had the ability to take over a game on both sides of the ball.  He was making passes as a 4th grader that the referees (who ref'd high school and college games) would come to the sidelines and say they have never seen someone his age do the things he was doing. I would call 2-3 plays in the huddle when he was in 5th and 6th grade for him to call at the line of scrimmage.  He did really, really well. By the time he is a junior he should be 6'1-6'2 range .. 190-200 lbs hopefully.  There are 2 other Jernigan family members (besides Cooper)  coming through the works that play quarterback.  His brother , Conner Hurt (future 8th grader) and  cousin, Grant Jernigan (future 6th grader)  On that note, UC should be in good hands Quarterback wise over the next 6 years.  Of course I'm their uncle and may be a little one sided here.

Cooper is a fine athlete no matter the sport. I can't wait to see him in charge of the offense. I'm not so sure he will be launching many passes with Coach Bowling calling the plays. Bowling's view of a passing offensive play is this "Three things can happen when you throw the ball. Two of them are bad." Not to say that I agree whole hearted with that but I will say that we stand equal a chance of a fumble in this offense as we do and Int or a qb sack. The Veer does serve up fumbles quite often. I say chunk a few more times and keep the defense guessing. But...... I have not won 2 State Championships in the last 5 years either.  Coach Bowling has. You choose who is right. I will stick with the coach.

I'm pretty sure Coach Bowling would throw it more if he had a quarterback who can.  You have to go back to his Obion county/Dyersburg days when he had Logan Parker who could throw the ball.  Since then his quarterbacks have been runners.  I think Garret is the one of the best he has had since then.  I'm happy to say that.  I think if Garret could use this offseason to beef up a little and work on his passing more, he'll do even better next year.  Make history for UC.  The 1 key thing Garret must work on (he knows this) is carrying out his fakes.  If he would take just 2 more steps after handing the ball off, Ricky would have had many, many more yards running than he did.  Because Garret runs the ball so well, defenses have to freeze til they know if he has the ball or not. With him carrying out his fakes better, all of the other backs will prosper as well.  And then it will also create more passing opportunities. But it really doesn't matter if a quarterback can throw the ball if he doesn't have anyone who can catch it. 

Will invoke mercy rule against almost every team they face next season or should. Humboldt or NCS are only teams stopping them from a repeat. SP showed teams can pass on them in state game though so a team with good defense could slow them down enough for a upset if they can pass. That still will be a chore though. I'm just keeping it real

Will invoke mercy rule against almost every team they face next season or should. Humboldt or NCS are only teams stopping them from a repeat. SP showed teams can pass on them in state game though so a team with good defense could slow them down enough for a upset if they can pass. That still will be a chore though. I'm just keeping it real

You are right that teams can pass on UC. SP was not the first to expose that either. NCS did a fine job of moving the ball down the field in the 4th quarter by throwing it around. Once we adjusted and started getting pressure on their QB it did'nt work so well. Besides we control the clock so well it forces most teams to attempt the passing game at some point. Im not so sure about the mercy rule prediction I just want our guys to Compete, Play Physical and Limit Fumbles. I would like to see fumbles go away completely but in the Veer offense that's not gonna happen. We will just have to play better defense. That's what worked for us this year anyway.

You are right that teams can pass on UC. SP was not the first to expose that either. NCS did a fine job of moving the ball down the field in the 4th quarter by throwing it around. Once we adjusted and started getting pressure on their QB it did'nt work so well. Besides we control the clock so well it forces most teams to attempt the passing game at some point. Im not so sure about the mercy rule prediction I just want our guys to Compete, Play Physical and Limit Fumbles. I would like to see fumbles go away completely but in the Veer offense that's not gonna happen. We will just have to play better defense. That's what worked for us this year anyway.

Yeah but you guys put almost 50 up on NCS. It will take a team that can play defense first then will have to be able to mix pass in with run. You can't pin ears back and get to QB and stop run at same time.1A and even 2A teams usually don't have that balance and a stout defense. Nothing to worry about as I don't see any capable of pulling that trick. Now if you could put SP run game with NCS passing game with Humboldt's defense then you might. I'm just keeping it real

Yeah but you guys put almost 50 up on NCS. It will take a team that can play defense first then will have to be able to mix pass in with run. You can't pin ears back and get to QB and stop run at same time.1A and even 2A teams usually don't have that balance and a stout defense. Nothing to worry about as I don't see any capable of pulling that trick. Now if you could put SP run game with NCS passing game with Humboldt's defense then you might. I'm just keeping it real

That would be a deadly combination for any 1A or 2A teams. I'm just glad that 1A and 2A can't get that done. Maybe once every 20 years.