Why is Karns so bad year after year

jammin01

Not sure what will happen with the new direction for my old school but it would seem to me if you are going to rebuild or start something great you get a coach that has more then one year of HC exp. Much to our surprise we were told at the basketball game that the new HC is keeping a coach on his staff that has been at Karns for 30 plus years and involved in many many of the losing seasons, so our question is why keep coaches at any program that has not had success, stands to reason that just like winning losing becomes a tradition , winning coaches learn winning ways, losing coaches learn losing ways, yes some coaches come from bad programs and make good but, 30 years of bad doesn't make good. I guess Sheets has the answers but, I think all of us old beavers know keeping legacy around won't fix our issue, heck you may as well bring back Fulkerson.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what will happen with the new direction for my old school but it would seem to me if you are going to rebuild or start something great you get a coach that has more then one year of HC exp. Much to our surprise we were told at the basketball game that the new HC is keeping a coach on his staff that has been at Karns for 30 plus years and involved in many many of the losing seasons, so our question is why keep coaches at any program that has not had success, stands to reason that just like winning losing becomes a tradition , winning coaches learn winning ways, losing coaches learn losing ways, yes some coaches come from bad programs and make good but, 30 years of bad doesn't make good. I guess Sheets has the answers but, I think all of us old beavers know keeping legacy around won't fix our issue, heck you may as well bring back Fulkerson.

That one more year of experience is more than most Knox County new football coaches have had over the last few years. 

When Kilgore was hired at Karns it was the first time since Eric Hutchens was hired in 2003 at South Doyle that a then CURRENT head coach was hired by a Knox County public school.  All of the hires since were filled by those who were current assistants, or in the case of South Doyle and Clark Duncan, a former head coach who had not been coaching for a while. 

It's just tough to attract experienced head coaches to the Knox County School System right now. 

Sorry this is not a Karns question, but HTV what have you heard at Central & Powell?  Or for that matter Bearden & Carter?  Thanks

As I posted in another thread, I expect Powell and Carter to be done next week. 

Not much news coming out on Bearden and Central, however. 

That one more year of experience is more than most Knox County new football coaches have had over the last few years. 

When Kilgore was hired at Karns it was the first time since Eric Hutchens was hired in 2003 at South Doyle that a then CURRENT head coach was hired by a Knox County public school.  All of the hires since were filled by those who were current assistants, or in the case of South Doyle and Clark Duncan, a former head coach who had not been coaching for a while. 

It's just tough to attract experienced head coaches to the Knox County School System right now. 

Interesting point HTV about the history of hirings.  Always enjoy reading your posts.  I guess that's the norm for most industries now though.  Promote from within the organization, or bring someone in who shows the qualities but has not previously had the opportunity to lead the show.  Question, when did Stephens take over at Powell after Duncan left?  I thought he was a HC pretty recent to his hiring.  And I guess Wes Jones was the "interim" coach at AE when he took the Hardin Valley job when it opened.

Interesting point HTV about the history of hirings.  Always enjoy reading your posts.  I guess that's the norm for most industries now though.  Promote from within the organization, or bring someone in who shows the qualities but has not previously had the opportunity to lead the show.  Question, when did Stephens take over at Powell after Duncan left?  I thought he was a HC pretty recent to his hiring.  And I guess Wes Jones was the "interim" coach at AE when he took the Hardin Valley job when it opened.

Larry Stephens was already on Clark Duncan's staff when he was hired as the head coach to follow Duncan.  Larry was Clark's offensive coordinator.  He had previously been the head coach at Maryville College and Heritage High School and an assistant at several other college programs. 

Jones was an assistant at AE when he was hired at Hardin Valley. 

Larry Stephens was already on Clark Duncan's staff when he was hired as the head coach to follow Duncan.  Larry was Clark's offensive coordinator.  He had previously been the head coach at Maryville College and Heritage High School and an assistant at several other college programs. 

Jones was an assistant at AE when he was hired at Hardin Valley.

Thanks for clearing that up. Any knowledge yet as to who might get the Powell job? I know you said you'd expect it to be known next week sometime.

Powell has offered the Chart Central old coach Allen after being turned down by others, thanks for changing the thread to talk about more interesting teams, seems Knox county having trouble filing jobs, what's your take HTV you seem to know everything bout Knox county fill us in.

I was told this evening by one involved in the hiring process that the job has not been offered to anybody at this point.  It is still being evaluated.