Best teams not to win a state title.

QSouth89

1988 McNairy Central Bobcats. Had 4 of the 5 starters sign to play college ball. They got beat by a Memphis East team that had 7 players sign D1 scholarships. Anthony Douglas was a high school all american who played at memphis state, troy lewis who starred at uab. There were so many great players on that team. They destroyed every team in murfreesboro that year. My opinion is they were 1 of the top 10 all time great high school teams from tennessee.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) 1995? Clarksville High School- Upset in the substate at Overton High by Brandon Wharton led team (Mr. Basketball, University of Tennessee, and others who played college bball). Clarksville had two guys named Trenton Hassell and Shawn Marion who went on to play for many years in the NBA.

2) Goodpasture team from the 90's (Ron Mercer, Drew Maddux, Sam Howard) team that lost to little old Battle Ground Academy (Seth Pettus, RIP) no way in the world BGA should have won but they did!

• 5 weeks later...

Just a few that come to mind:

1981- Kingsport D-B. Unbelievable team, went undefeated during regular season, only loss of season was to eventual champion Nashville Pearl in state semifinals, best team I have ever seen from East Tennessee, period.

2006 Memphis Mitchell- Thad Young and company, had misfortune of playing Bolivar in first round, that team was loaded with talent, not just Thad Young

2008- Maryville- As good or better team, IMO, than 2007 MHS team that won AAA state title, lost a nip and tuck battle with a dynamite Oak Ridge team in Region elimination game. If only the late, great Aaron Douglas had been fully healthy instead of nursing lingering injuries from football. He played but was only a shell of the player he was in 2007 due to injuries.

Edited by Norman Dale

1981- Kingsport D-B. Unbelievable team, went undefeated during regular season, only loss of season was to eventual champion Nashville Pearl in state semifinals, best team I have ever seen from East Tennessee, period.

2006 Memphis Mitchell- Thad Young and company, had misfortune of playing Bolivar in first round, that team was loaded with talent, not just Thad Young

2008- Maryville- As good or better team, IMO, than 2007 MHS team that won AAA state title, lost a nip and tuck battle with a dynamite Oak Ridge team in Region elimination game. If only the late, great Aaron Douglas had been fully healthy instead of nursing lingering injuries from football. He played but was only a shell of the player he was in 2007 due to injuries.    Mitchell beat Boliver that year and lost to Liberty Tech  in the finals that  year

2008- Maryville- As good or better team, IMO, than 2007 MHS team that won AAA state title, lost a nip and tuck battle with a dynamite Oak Ridge team in Region elimination game. If only the late, great Aaron Douglas had been fully healthy instead of nursing lingering injuries from football. He played but was only a shell of the player he was in 2007 due to injuries.    Mitchell beat Boliver that year and lost to Liberty Tech  in the finals that  year

2008- Maryville- As good or better team, IMO, than 2007 MHS team that won AAA state title, lost a nip and tuck battle with a dynamite Oak Ridge team in Region elimination game. If only the late, great Aaron Douglas had been fully healthy instead of nursing lingering injuries from football. He played but was only a shell of the player he was in 2007 due to injuries.

That 06 Mitchell team lost in the championship game to Liberty. It was a great team. That was one of the best years for Tennessee basketball. BA, Hamilton, Shelbyville, Raleigh Egypt, Mitchell, Liberty, Bolivar, Haywood, Union City, Middleton Just a great year for basketball

That 06 Mitchell team lost in the championship game to Liberty. It was a great team. That was one of the best years for Tennessee basketball. BA, Hamilton, Shelbyville, Raleigh Egypt, Mitchell, Liberty, Bolivar,Haywood, Union City, Middleton Just a great year for basketball

My mistake, it was Liberty who beat Mitchell, not Bolivar. I was at the Bolivar- Mitchell game that year, great game I believe Mitchell won in OT. I guess I should add Bolivar 2006 to the list as well.:)