Marion County New System New Coach

pegleg

will get more out of the players and will coach them up

I call BS on that one. Mccurry might not be a good man, but you can't deny what he got out of a team that was absolutely pathetic when he took it over. He got more out less than anyone around. I don't doubt Ross is a quality coach but he won't get anymore out them than Mccurry. Ross coached D1 football players at Calhoun. There ain't been any of those in Jasper since Westmoreland. I got a lofty prediction right now. My Indians beat them in a close one this year.

Old Indian, this is where I agree with you, no doubt Ross is a good coach, however there is major differences that he is going to have to adjust to. When at Whitwell by the end of the season people were saying same old Whitwell, not in shape lose it in forth quarter not in shape. what they did not realize was the lack of depth, and us playing freshman that you were good to get a couple of quarters out of. At the bigger schools depth was not an issue, you could about run whatever defense or offense you wanted too because you had the kids to do so. At the smaller schools you do not have that luxury. to be quite honest some of your best coaches are at small schools that usually are average at best. you have to coach your but off for every win. At the bigger schools kids gave 100 percent every play because there was someone behind them that is about as good. At the smaller schools you do not have that. You have to find a way to motivate, and teach your kids to get an advantage sometimes over much better athletes. There are things you would like to do that are just unrealistic. Example is Tom Weathers a coach that had the most wins in the state. Went to Dade county and won two ball games in two or three years. went to Soddy Daisy and did not do much better. I have had coaches tell me get that guy out of there, and I am like who am I going to put in there some body that is clueless, with lack of ability that is going to get themselves or someone else hurt. I hope and expect coach Ross to do well! but it is not a given. I think it will be an adjustment.

Old Indian, this is where I agree with you, no doubt Ross is a good coach, however there is major differences that he is going to have to adjust to. When at Whitwell by the end of the season people were saying same old Whitwell, not in shape lose it in forth quarter not in shape. what they did not realize was the lack of depth, and us playing freshman that you were good to get a couple of quarters out of. At the bigger schools depth was not an issue, you could about run whatever defense or offense you wanted too because you had the kids to do so. At the smaller schools you do not have that luxury. to be quite honest some of your best coaches are at small schools that usually are average at best. you have to coach your but off for every win. At the bigger schools kids gave 100 percent every play because there was someone behind them that is about as good. At the smaller schools you do not have that. You have to find a way to motivate, and teach your kids to get an advantage sometimes over much better athletes. There are things you would like to do that are just unrealistic. Example is Tom Weathers a coach that had the most wins in the state. Went to Dade county and won two ball games in two or three years. went to Soddy Daisy and did not do much better. I have had coaches tell me get that guy out of there, and I am like who am I going to put in there some body that is clueless, with lack of ability that is going to get themselves or someone else hurt. I hope and expect coach Ross to do well! but it is not a given. I think it will be an adjustment.

2 great post . If he don't go 9 1 first year he will be run out of town. I just hope that ever fan that greets him doesn't say, what ever you do....you have to beat those Pirates. That puts way too much pressure on a coach . Besides as you say they had better start watching up north , as much as they been looking south.

I call BS on that one. Mccurry might not be a good man, but you can't deny what he got out of a team that was absolutely pathetic when he took it over. He got more out less than anyone around. I don't doubt Ross is a quality coach but he won't get anymore out them than Mccurry. Ross coached D1 football players at Calhoun. There ain't been any of those in Jasper since Westmoreland. I got a lofty prediction right now. My Indians beat them in a close one this year.

I did not deny what Mac got out of the team. And I think Sequatchie will beat MC and have a very good yr. I don't consider that a lofty prediction.