New T$$AA Divisions!

confucuis say....If you are drawing kids from more than one zip code...you are no different than a private school!!

You can stand in the parking lot at Scotts Hill High and throw a rock into two different zip codes, another is three miles (by the road, not as the crow flies) away.

tradertwo say...confuciuschang head is hard as woodpecker lips.

So you should have no problem establishing your zone and if you allow players from outside it you get hit with the multiplier

Seriously, you really don't know as much as you think about some of the rural counties like SP and Coalfield are in if you are really thinking you need to level the playing field.  Both those schools have <250 students and aren't open enrollment in the sense you are making it out to be.  Transfers require paperwork with the TSSAA.  The multipier is dumb.  If a kid played at jasper last year, he would have to sit out a year to play at Whitwell or SP unless the parents actually moved and proved it to TSSAA.   There is another solution.  There can be a Div 1, Div 2 and a Muffin league for the 2-8 and 3 - 7 whiners. 

You can stand in the parking lot at Scotts Hill High and throw a rock into two different zip codes, another is three miles (by the road, not as the crow flies) away.

tradertwo say...confuciuschang head is hard as woodpecker lips.

confucuis say...ya'll should have picked a better spot to build your high school...pulling kids from 3 zip codes is stuff that private schools do!

confucuis say...ya'll should have picked a better spot to build your high school...pulling kids from 3 zip codes is stuff that private schools do!

Zip codes are kind of random and generally lack anything to do with school zones.  There are 3 public high schools in Marion County and 6 zip codes. 

Edited by rlh

I have no idea why you keep referring to transfers, transfers arent the problem. the problem is the kids that come from all over marion co and north alabama and start at Sp day 1 of 9th garde because the football program is more successful than the school they are zoned to.  SET YOUR ZONE and play the players that reside in it.  it is a simple concept 

Actually, the small privates in metro areas are the ones who most likely would have an advantage with the "one zip code" garbage. Bigger cities have much larger talent pools than rural publics, who's student population comes from over a  greater geographical area. Change the policy, and they'd adapt. Restrict Scotts Hill to one zip code and their doors close for lack of students...there are only two high schools in the county and over ten zip codes.

Edited by tradertwo

Zip codes are kind of random and generally lack anything to do with school zones. There are 3 public high schools in Marion County and 6 zip codes.

Scott County is 533 square miles with 2 high schools & has 9 zip codes! I wasn't even aware some of these were in Scott county until recently. Here's a link, each color section is a different zip code, the couple I wasn't aware of are sections of zips in another county that extends into Scott. Which brings up another point. Zip codes don't even follow county boundries, with the zip code theory now kids would be allowed to attend a school that isn't even in the county they reside in right? Makes sense to me :lol:

http://www.zipmap.net/Tennessee/Scott_County.htm

Edited by crow

Scott County is 533 square miles with 2 high schools & has 9 zip codes! I wasn't even aware some of these were in Scott county until recently. Here's a link, each color section is a different zip code, the couple I wasn't aware of are sections of zips in another county that extends into Scott. Which brings up another point. Zip codes don't even follow county boundries, with the zip code theory now kids would be allowed to attend a school that isn't even in the county they reside in right? Makes sense to me :lol:

http://www.zipmap.net/Tennessee/Scott_County.htm

confucuis say...some zip codes even cross state lines!!

Edited by confuciuschang

Two questions for anyone who would answer:

1.  What is wrong with the family of a student athlete buying a house or moving into a district to go to a school or to play football.  Its perfectly legal.  If you "closed south pitts" zone then that is what many would do in order to go there.

2.  Do you really think the only reason open zone football programs are succesful is because they are open zone ?  Seriously great football programs work really hard and hace great coaching. 

I have no idea why you keep referring to transfers, transfers arent the problem. the problem is the kids that come from all over marion co and north alabama and start at Sp day 1 of 9th garde because the football program is more successful than the school they are zoned to.  SET YOUR ZONE and play the players that reside in it.  it is a simple concept 

Again, you are incorrect. I don't know why YOU keep referring to students from all over the county.  It is very uncommon.  In fact, the few that do may not even be playing sports. Furthermore, The kid from Alabama moved there last year.  The other student some time back moved back from Georgia and went to SP elementary. Oh wait, they were just a couple of transfers over the past 6 years and that isn't the problem according to you.   Furthermore, if SP is picking up all these athletes, explain to me why the play 7 or 8 kids both ways?

Edited by rlh

It doesnt take many it only takes a few of the best ones to tilt the playing field.  SET YOUR ZONE  to city limits of south pittsburg.  If some little Jasper  kid just has to come there for the "corn bread making class" that isnt offered at Marion Co he doesnt get to play sports.  If he plays you get hit with multiplier