EastTnfollwer

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.  D-B or Science Hill

2.  Science Hill or D-B

3-7.  everybody else

D-B and SH will easily make the playoffs but get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round.

Tenn High will also play post-season but there are just too many tough 5A teams in Knoxville.

Boone may get lucky and play an 11th game, but their schedule is just too tough to have any realistic playoff hopes.

So pretty much another normal year for the Big 7.      Only 149 days until kickoff

I'd like to hear what other schools in the conference have coming back. I thought I'd read that TH was going to be loaded this year.DC had A terrible defense,but made the playoffs.I wonder what they will do different on that side of the ball to become a better team.Daniel Boone has something to prove after being left behind with the way our playoff system works.Volunteer and Central have had some very good athletes go to other schools over the last few years but have still had some great ones.They have only one way to go and I hope both can be more competitive in the coming years.Dobyns Bennett had their down year and will be much stronger.Last year,SH done what I"ve said for years was going to happen because they just have to many athetes for DB to continue to beat them every year.Now,I'd just as soon not see that again for another twenty years.Either way,DB and SH shouldn't be in the big 7 but only playing a few of the local schools like the Big East days.Playing TH,Greeneville,South,Elizabethton and a couple more on a rotation where they have maybe Tennesse High every year and couple more on a two year cycle.Then pick up a super team like Maryville every year.That would mean something smart from the tssaa instead of the cluster we have.

Batman,

You are so right.....   in the Big 7, the small 5 may as well start the season 0-2 because they will always consistently lose to the BIG 2

The biggest schools do not always have the best teams, but they usually have way more athletes to choose from.     If you cut a random cross section of several hundred students from SH and DB then they would not be nearly as dominate.    We Blazers are pretty well used to losing to the BIG 2 every year,  my only gripe is that when it comes to the playoffs the losses to the 6A teams always count against you.    But I'm sure the T$$AA has their reasons

DB plays @ SH this year for the conference title, is that right?     Wait until you see that SH
stadium (if you haven't already), it is really nice for a high school

2013 enrollments for Big 7 schools:

6A SH (2207)
6A DB (1856)
5A Boone (1348)
5A Crockett (1247)
5A Volunteer (1177)
5A Tenn High (1144)
5A Central (1017)

I've been to a few games at the knew stadium Blazer. It's very nice.I would have done one thing different as long as the bands are allowed to play during the games.I would have set the band closer to the field.Shoot,as long as they will allow it, I'd put the band at the 50 on the visitors side and put their fans way back in the endzone.Im just kidding, no band should be allowed to play while the game is in progress. Should be an unsportsmanlike call.Im not sure how it is now, but cowbells and different noise makers used to be illegal in college (dont know about high school) but it atleast should be a class call by the fans and bands.I know it's not golf, and the fans should be able to make all the natural noise they can.If there is a rule in high school, I wonder how they would penalize a team whose own band or fans make illegal noise while they are calling a play at the line.I guess the ref would say that team is being penalized enough as it is.Anyway, it is a very, very nice stadium and the folks in Johnson city should be proud.

I've been to a few games at the knew stadium Blazer. It's very nice.I would have done one thing different as long as the bands are allowed to play during the games.I would have set the band closer to the field.Shoot,as long as they will allow it, I'd put the band at the 50 on the visitors side and put their fans way back in the endzone.Im just kidding, no band should be allowed to play while the game is in progress. Should be an unsportsmanlike call.Im not sure how it is now, but cowbells and different noise makers used to be illegal in college (dont know about high school) but it atleast should be a class call by the fans and bands.I know it's not golf, and the fans should be able to make all the natural noise they can.If there is a rule in high school, I wonder how they would penalize a team whose own band or fans make illegal noise while they are calling a play at the line.I guess the ref would say that team is being penalized enough as it is.Anyway, it is a very, very nice stadium and the folks in Johnson city should be proud.

Only thing I don't care for about Science Hill's stadium is the distance between the field and the stands.  Other than that, it's a very nice setup.

Speaking of stadiums, they're making preparations for putting the turf down at the Stone Castle. 

For those who haven't hear or read the article :

http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_086b0aae-af0d-11e3-81d5-0017a43b2370.html

Only thing I don't care for about Science Hill's stadium is the distance between the field and the stands.  Other than that, it's a very nice setup.

Speaking of stadiums, they're making preparations for putting the turf down at the Stone Castle. 

For those who haven't hear or read the article :

http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_086b0aae-af0d-11e3-81d5-0017a43b2370.html

I almost forgot a negative,SH's  PA announcer is over the top and one of my least favorite to hear.I'm glad to see the changes to the castle,it is one of my favorite sights when walking up to a high school football game.It should be just as nice inside as it is to look at on the outside.Now,of all the old time area stadiums,Elizabethton needs to update like Greeneville,DB,SH and TH.None of this will win a game,but upgrades to make it better and more safe for the fans should be done.Handrails should have been put in several stadiums years ago to help the older folks and small kids

I wouldn't mind seeing high school adopt the NCAA rule regarding bands which states they can play from the end of a play until the center covers the ball at the LOS. Bands contribute to the atmosphere that is football, so it's pointless to have those kids sit on their hands the whole game if they are required to be there (and they are, the administrators see to that).

I echo your sentiment regarding the PA announcer. They had a very good PA guy doing the JV games a year or so ago. Hopefully, he'll wait until the current doofus calls it quits.

As far as early predictions go:

1-2: SH or DB

3-4: TH or Boone

5-7: let's just say that I had to use google to remember the other members of the conference (Volunteer just doesn't seem to belong...)

I think SH turned a huge corner by defeating DB last year. Of course, DB will be wanting to return the favor in JC. SH also has rematches against Siegel and Brentwood Academy, so it will be interesting to see if any progress can be witnessed against those two opponents.

Edited by voltnh

1. D-B or Science Hill

2. Science Hill or D-B

3-7. everybody else

D-B and SH will easily make the playoffs but get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round.

Tenn High will also play post-season but there are just too many tough 5A teams in Knoxville.

Boone may get lucky and play an 11th game, but their schedule is just too tough to have any realistic playoff hopes.

So pretty much another normal year for the Big 7. Only 149 days until kickoff

Well, that's the nature of the playoffs. Last year, you had Maryville, SH, DB, and Sevier County all in Quad 1. The year before, 7 of the 8 teams in quad 1 were ranked in the final AP Top 10 poll.

I'm not justifying losing and your ultimate goal should be winning the last game of the season. But that kind of success takes time. If you get knocked out of the playoffs by a semi finalist or eventual champion early on doesn't mean the season is a waste and you don't have something to build upon for the next season.