East Tennessee Hoops

QSouth89

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean no disrespect, but the reason much of E Tenn basketball is looking better is due to the fact that younger coaches have taken charge at many of these programs....Many older coaches (successful at one time) stayed a lil too long and much talent was wasted....

You have got to be kidding. What Young coaches in E Tn has had a major impact. State tournament appearences. Developed better talent. Age doesn't matter. Coaches can coach regardless of age. Lots of good old coaches certainly so up and coming young coaches as well but not the reason do better players.

You have got to be kidding. What Young coaches in E Tn has had a major impact. State tournament appearences. Developed better talent. Age doesn't matter. Coaches can coach regardless of age. Lots of good old coaches certainly so up and coming young coaches as well but not the reason do better players.

Think you're being a little harsh RedandBlack and uknoit2. I think there are some good young coaches in the area. I'd start with Aaron Green at OR. Jared Laverdiere has done a great job at Scott County taking a perennial doormat and taking them to then Regional tourney. Shane Wells at CAK has made a huge impact. It's not all about state tourney appearances. The bottom line to getting there is having the horses more so than the coaching.

Not kidding...And didnt say anything about "major impacts" as of yet...Said it was looking better...Look at the coaches and their ages that coached at the state tournament this year and you'll see my point!

I also didnt say old coaches couldn't coach...My point should have been made clearer that some of the older coaches were stuck in their "old way" of coaching and they just couldnt hang with the run-n-gun type of play today...And by that, much talent was wasted the last decade or two at some programs in E and NE Tenn.

But you know, I was reading the article on Hampton's 1960 team and how they pressed the ball so hard for four qtrs and wonder where that type of ball playing went for so many years! I mean, I remember growing up and seeing games that the score of both teams would be less than 20...a team would s l o w l y walk the ball up the floor and spend 10 minutes passing the ball around at half court if they had a one point lead...That type of ball doesn't cut it anymore.

Think you're being a little harsh RedandBlack and uknoit2. I think there are some good young coaches in the area. I'd start with Aaron Green at OR. Jared Laverdiere has done a great job at Scott County taking a perennial doormat and taking them to then Regional tourney. Shane Wells at CAK has made a huge impact. It's not all about state tourney appearances. The bottom line to getting there is having the horses more so than the coaching.

Once again, I dont mean to be harsh nor disrespectful....I love to see older coaches up-to-date with today's game...You just dont see it too often tho...Horses are important! But if trained to run as mules, they'll not achieve much IMO.

Once again, I dont mean to be harsh nor disrespectful....I love to see older coaches up-to-date with today's game...You just dont see it too often tho...Horses are important! But if trained to run as mules, they'll not achieve much IMO.

I feel your pain. My son's team a few years ago had two starters at guard that went on to play in college + an incredible athlete that now starts at safety for the Minnesota Vikings and they averaged 50 points a game but went to the state tourney 3 straight years.

I feel your pain. My son's team a few years ago had two starters at guard that went on to play in college + an incredible athlete that now starts at safety for the Minnesota Vikings and they averaged 50 points a game but went to the state tourney 3 straight years.

How ironic, this year's team averaged more points per game since the 2003-04 season The reins were loosened and the team fast breaks more and we go 9-20 lol. Most of that was due to all the freshmen that started and played and injuries to key upperclassmen, either all year or part of the year.  Should be much better and improved next year

How ironic, this year's team averaged more points per game since the 2003-04 season The reins were loosened and the team fast breaks more and we go 9-20 lol. Most of that was due to all the freshmen that started and played and injuries to key upperclassmen, either all year or part of the year.  Should be much better and improved next year

At least you didn't have to worry about your son blowing an ACL with the head coach yelling to slow it down and the two assistants yelling to push it! Had to buy three pair of shoes that year with all the starting and stopping.

Looking forward to the start of next year. Hopefully all these kids will stay healthy!!!!

At least you didn't have to worry about your son blowing an ACL with the head coach yelling to slow it down and the two assistants yelling to push it! Had to buy three pair of shoes that year with all the starting and stopping.

Looking forward to the start of next year. Hopefully all these kids will stay healthy!!!!

I know all too much about ACL injuries.  Went through two of them with my eldest.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain. My son's team a few years ago had two starters at guard that went on to play in college + an incredible athlete that now starts at safety for the Minnesota Vikings and they averaged 50 points a game but went to the state tourney 3 straight years.

What years was it thar Catholic went to state tournament. Was that DivisionI or Division II? I don't recall. I do recall them making several state tournament appearences back in the 70's.

What years was it thar Catholic went to state tournament. Was that DivisionI or Division II? I don't recall. I do recall them making several state tournament appearences back in the 70's.

They made the state semi-finals in 2004 and 2005 in D-II and the quarter finals in 2006 in D-I (AA).  It was a rally good run by the Irish in those 3 years going 28-3 in 2004, 22-8 in 2005 and 25-7 in 2006.

Edited by QSouth89