Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

Welcome to the pre-season 2014 topic of discussion for all things Shelby County. There is also room for the surrounding counties to join in if they wish because District 13 will be involved with the Shelby County schools throughout the season and in the post season.

Also, since this is the Class AAA section of the message board, this thread will only deal with those schools.

As I see it to date (April 17, 2014) it's going to be the usual suspects with a couple of emerging schools making their prescence felt.

6A: (In no particular order)

District 16: Whitehaven, White Station, and Central

District 15: Germantown, Houston, Collierville, and Southwind

District 14: Arlington and Cordova

5A: (Again, in no particular order)

District 16: Memphis East, Melrose, and Overton

District 15: Ridgeway

District 14: Millington

I think most people around these parts realize that Districts 15 and 16 are the most competitive from top to bottom.

6A Observations:

I actually think Cordova is going to be the new sheriff in town in 6A in District 14. That coach turned little ole' Westwood (2A) into a contender when he was there and last year, in his first year there, Cordova made the play-offs for the first time in a long time. Those guys at Cordova bought in to what he was selling in just his first year. Houston's coach will be in his second year and I am curious to see how this season will go under his leadership. White Station, fresh off of their trip to the semi-finals last year, will again be a formidable team. They graduated a lot of starters from last years team. The new coach is in his second year and they always attract top notch talent. I'm curious to see how they follow-up last year's campaign. Whitehaven will be very deep and athletic. They return most of their starters from laste years 2nd round team. They will have a chip on their shoulder this year and they will feel like they have something to prove. I feel like they should be the team to beat in 6A in Shelby County this year, but they aren't garunteed anything. Arlington and Central are very solid teams. Last year, Central was bigger then Whitehaven across the line. (Offense and Deffense) Both have very good coaches and I expect them to be good as well.

5A Observations:

Overton had a very good season last year. I'm thinking that they build on their momentum this year. They just happen to be in one of the toughest districts in the state, District 16. Melrose had a stupendous turn around last year from the year prior. If they can manufacture some more defense to go with that stellar offense ... watch out. Memphis East, in my opinion, is a State Title contender. They are tough as nails and scrappy as can be.  Man ... District 16 is LOADED ... SMH. Let's not forget Ridgeway with their returning QB, who is going to just SHRED opposing defensive secondaries. It won't be pretty if you are an opposing team. Millington has changed their stripes from being a 'three yards and a cloud of dust' type team to now being a 'Oregon, fast paste, throw it around' style of play.

Well, there will be more to come as others join in in this thread and we discuss the up and coming year. Feel free to jump in and contribute to the conversation. The more the merrier.

Whitehaven was Whitehaven's own worst enemy last season. With a renewed sense of humility AND a healthy Jordan Williams and Elex Harris and a STRONG WR Corps as well as a head bussin' defense we should EASILY run through West Tenn... If there is no Murfreesboro team waiting on Da Haven in the Semifinals we should have a pretty clear road to Cookeville.

Whitehaven was Whitehaven's own worst enemy last season. With a renewed sense of humility AND a healthy Jordan Williams and Elex Harris and a STRONG WR Corps as well as a head bussin' defense we should EASILY run through West Tenn... If there is no Murfreesboro team waiting on Da Haven in the Semifinals we should have a pretty clear road to Cookeville.

I'm not going to disregard any of the strong Memphis/Shelby County schools from last years season. I'm giving credit to last year's East team and last year's White Station team for beating Whitehaven. It was more of those teams play against Whitehaven then it being Whitehaven being their own worst enemy, in my opinion. I'm also not going to overlook the shellacking Whitehaven received at the hands of Sacred Heart-Griffin in Springfield. That was a beatdown, if I ever saw one. Last year Whitehaven had regular season games against Central and Overton that could have very well been losses. I'm not taking ANYTHING for granted. I think this year, whoever comes out of Memphis/Shelby County will have to go through the crucible to get there. Whitehaven's district play alone will be filled with very good, deep, athletic, well coached teams. Whitehaven is the favorite, yes I agree. But this year, East, Melrose, White Station, Central are all expected to be good. If Overton builds off of last years momentum, they will be good as well. District 16 is DEEP. Then, the playoffs will include other good teams such as Cordova, Arlington, Germantown, and Houston to go along with the District 16 teams. What I see is very good and competative games, week in and week out. I'm expecting WShitehaven to the the top seed and I'm expecting them to go far ... but I've been impressed with the coaching and atheletes of the teams I've mentioned. 2014 is going to be "must see" virtually all year long, especially in District 16 play.

All of the above being said, if the 2014 Whitehaven defense with Elix and Josh at the LB position wrecking havock, then I'm expecting Whitehaven's 'D' to be DOMINATE.

Edited by kwc

I'm not going to disregard any of the strong Memphis/Shelby County schools from last years season. I'm giving credit to last year's East team and last year's White Station team for beating Whitehaven. It was more of those teams play against Whitehaven then it being Whitehaven being their own worst enemy, in my opinion. I'm also not going to overlook the shellacking Whitehaven received at the hands of Sacred Heart-Griffin in Springfield. That was a beatdown, if I ever saw one. Last year Whitehaven had regular season games against Central and Overton that could have very well been losses. I'm not taking ANYTHING for granted. I think this year, whoever comes out of Memphis/Shelby County will have to go through the crucible to get there. Whitehaven's district play alone will be filled with very good, deep, athletic, well coached teams. Whitehaven is the favorite, yes I agree. But this year, East, Melrose, White Station, Central are all expected to be good. If Overton builds off of last years momentum, they will be good as well. District 16 is DEEP. Then, the playoffs will include other good teams such as Cordova, Arlington, Germantown, and Houston to go along with the District 16 teams. What I see is very good and competative games, week in and week out. I'm expecting WShitehaven to the the top seed and I'm expecting them to go far ... but I've been impressed with the coaching and atheletes of the teams I've mentioned. 2014 is going to be "must see" virtually all year long, especially in District 16 play.

All of the above being said, if the 2014 Whitehaven defense with Elix and Josh at the LB position wrecking havock, then I'm expecting Whitehaven's 'D' to be DOMINATE.

K- Dub,

You seen the games like I did...

SHG didn't dominate... They had ONE mismatch that they exploited, period. The Offense shot itself in the foot a few times that game as well.

All the teams that gave Whitehaven "Problems" last season simply aren't on Whitehaven's level with all things equal. Whitehaven's A+ ball is better than Every team in 6A West of The Eastern Time Zone (Respect to the Red Dragon). White Station is always a tough game because they not scared of Da Haven but Melrose, Overton, East, Central, etc should NOT be able to run with Da Haven. Not because I said so but because it is what it is. If Whitehaven is healthy, humble, HUNGRY and focused from June thru December they'll be in Cookeville Again... I'm not discounting the other teams in West Tenn, I just know that what I saw last season was an aberration that had more to do with injuries than it did with other teams CATCHING UP to Whitehaven. With everyone on the same page at Whitehaven they will be back in the Semifinals like they should always be.

Mind you if EGOS or injuries or Selfishness rule the day in the 38116 they will be playoff one and done. With that said Da Haven holds the future in their hands. G-Town, Houston, Collierville, Southwind, Brighton, Arlington, etc aren't better than Whitehaven at anything except tending to their grounds. THREE hard games and them Tigers will be back. 

K- Dub,

You seen the games like I did...

SHG didn't dominate... They had ONE mismatch that they exploited, period. The Offense shot itself in the foot a few times that game as well.

All the teams that gave Whitehaven "Problems" last season simply aren't on Whitehaven's level with all things equal. Whitehaven's A+ ball is better than Every team in 6A West of The Eastern Time Zone (Respect to the Red Dragon). White Station is always a tough game because they not scared of Da Haven but Melrose, Overton, East, Central, etc should NOT be able to run with Da Haven. Not because I said so but because it is what it is. If Whitehaven is healthy, humble, HUNGRY and focused from June thru December they'll be in Cookeville Again... I'm not discounting the other teams in West Tenn, I just know that what I saw last season was an aberration that had more to do with injuries than it did with other teams CATCHING UP to Whitehaven. With everyone on the same page at Whitehaven they will be back in the Semifinals like they should always be.

Mind you if EGOS or injuries or Selfishness rule the day in the 38116 they will be playoff one and done. With that said Da Haven holds the future in their hands. G-Town, Houston, Collierville, Southwind, Brighton, Arlington, etc aren't better than Whitehaven at anything except tending to their grounds. THREE hard games and them Tigers will be back. 

Yeah ... I saw them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That game against SHG had more issue then just stopping the D-1 WR. The QB ran all over us as well. But I digress ... that was last year.

Whitehaven is one of the top teams in the west in 6A. No doubt about it. A favorite to get to the championship game. I don't know who Whitehaven's biggest obstacle will be this year. It may very well be White Station this year as well. I do know this though. District 16 alone will be enouth to get the team ready for the post season. Central is improved and their QB/Athlete has already verballed to Ole Miss/Miss State. (I can't remember which one). He gave us FITS in last year's game as a junior. Melrose already has one of it's star athlete's verbal to the U of M as well.  Not to mention that one of their dynamic WR is coming back. Let's not forget about East and that 'shut down Whitehaven's run game last year' defense that is coming back. East is a very legitimate 5A contender. I think they make it to the championship game this year. Not to mention the improvement of Overton last year. Hamilton is the only District 16 team that didn't make the post season last year, but they did make it to the playoffs the year prior. This season could be VERY special in District 16.

All of the above being stated, Whitehaven is the 6A favorite coming out of Memphis. I think the severity of the strength of the District 16 teams helps Whitehaven (6A) and East (5A) for making title runs. Iron sharpens iron.

I'm looking forward to a VERY STINGY 'D' from Whitehaven this year. Scoring on Whitehaven will be VERY problematic for opposing teams this year. I'm looking forward to a lot of donuts for our opponents on the scoreboard.

Edited by kwc

Yeah ... I saw them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That game against SHG had more issue then just stopping the D-1 WR. The QB ran all over us as well. But I digress ... that was last year.

Whitehaven is one of the top teams in the west in 6A. No doubt about it. A favorite to get to the championship game. I don't know who Whitehaven's biggest obstacle will be this year. It may very well be White Station this year as well. I do know this though. District 16 alone will be enouth to get the team ready for the post season. Central is improved and their QB/Athlete has already verballed to Ole Miss/Miss State. (I can't remember which one). He gave us FITS in last year's game as a junior. Melrose already has one of it's star athlete's verbal to the U of M as well.  Not to mention that one of their dynamic WR is coming back. Let's not forget about East and that 'shut down Whitehaven's run game last year' defense that is coming back. East is a very legitimate 5A contender. I think they make it to the championship game this year. Not to mention the improvement of Overton last year. Hamilton is the only District 16 team that didn't make the post season last year, but they did make it to the playoffs the year prior. This season could be VERY special in District 16.

All of the above being stated, Whitehaven is the 6A favorite coming out of Memphis. I think the severity of the strength of the District 16 teams helps Whitehaven (6A) and East (5A) for making title runs. Iron sharpens iron.

I'm looking forward to a VERY STINGY 'D' from Whitehaven this year. Scoring on Whitehaven will be VERY problematic for opposing teams this year. I'm looking forward to a lot of donuts for our opponents on the scoreboard.

You being too kind K-Dub lol... Whitehaven should be dominate this season if we stay healthy and/or have some functional depth... Jordan Williams and Kerrick Jones will be the newest version of the bomb squad a la T-Money and GP a couple of seasons ago. I can't wait to check out a few scrimmages. 3 to 4 tough games tops. Saulsberry, Harmon and D got the ingredients... Let's just hope the have the recipe to get back to the Upper Cumberland 

You being too kind K-Dub lol... Whitehaven should be dominate this season if we stay healthy and/or have some functional depth... Jordan Williams and Kerrick Jones will be the newest version of the bomb squad a la T-Money and GP a couple of seasons ago. I can't wait to check out a few scrimmages. 3 to 4 tough games tops. Saulsberry, Harmon and D got the ingredients... Let's just hope the have the recipe to get back to the Upper Cumberland 

1) White Station will be tough. 2) East will be tough. 3) Central will NOT be easy. 4) Ridgeway (non-district) will be tough and they will test our 'D'.  5) Melrose willl NOT be easy and they will test our 'D' as well. 6) Who ever our 'Out-of-Town' game will be tough.  

7) Fairley, and 8) Hamilton probably won't be difficult wins. 9) Overton was better then expected last year, but I suspect we will beat them handily. 10) Mitchell is just too small of a school to cause concern, even though they will play us tough in the first half.

Then, there will be the post season.

That's how I see things NOW. It just depends on how DOMINATE our defense will be. I think they will rise to the challenge.

I'm curious to see what coach Jones does in his second year at Cordova and 'What's his name' at Houston. Those are intriguing to me, especially Jones at Cordova. I've said it before ... I think they become the Big Dog in District 14. Arlington, Cordova, and Millington will be a formidable three headed monster. It definately adds some spice to the area if they (Cordova) become a strong team in that district. Houston is another team that I will be watching from afar. I think the new blood at Houston will be benificial and add to the depth of District 15. I thought that District 16 was the stronger district last year. I don't see that changing this year either, but I think the other districts may be answering the challenge. 

Edited by kwc

1) White Station will be tough. 2) East will be tough. 3) Central will NOT be easy. 4) Ridgeway (non-district) will be tough and they will test our 'D'.  5) Melrose willl NOT be easy and they will test our 'D' as well. 6) Who ever our 'Out-of-Town' game will be tough.  

7) Fairley, and 8) Hamilton probably won't be difficult wins. 9) Overton was better then expected last year, but I suspect we will beat them handily. 10) Mitchell is just too small of a school to cause concern, even though they will play us tough in the first half.

Then, there will be the post season.

That's how I see things NOW. It just depends on how DOMINATE our defense will be. I think they will rise to the challenge.

I'm curious to see what coach Jones does in his second year at Cordova and 'What's his name' at Houston. Those are intriguing to me, especially Jones at Cordova. I've said it before ... I think they become the Big Dog in District 14. Arlington, Cordova, and Millington will be a formidable three headed monster. It definately adds some spice to the area if they (Cordova) become a strong team in that district. Houston is another team that I will be watching from afar. I think the new blood at Houston will be benificial and add to the depth of District 15. I thought that District 16 was the stronger district last year. I don't see that changing this year either, but I think the other districts may be answering the challenge. 

Memphis East may be tough for other teams... They only scored 13 points in their win against Whitehaven...

Memphis Central had some amazing size last season and actually may of had the ONE Bellevue Class that the Best players (while in 7th and 8th grade) decided NOT to come to Da Haven. They will fall... Easily 

Ridgeway has given up ridiculous amounts of point to Da Haven since that win they got in 2010... With 9 returning starters on defense for us I say R'Way gives up the same type of point total and Whitehaven doesn't...

Melrose is ONE season away from truly being back, I believe...

I dare say the Fairley game or Mitchell game will be that ONE unexpected tough game since they are slick neighborhood rivals...

The First 3 rounds of the playoffs minus a re-match versus White Station will not be super difficult.

So let me re-state my idea... There may be One or two truly difficult Area games for Whitehaven. White Station and Fairley are my early picks for those games

Unless Whitehaven is playing a 7AAA them in the Semifinals, they will have a moderately difficult game at best...

The ooa team will likely be difficult if they have a winning pedigree... But that game could very easily NOT be difficult...

The Title game against Maryville or the survivor of 7AAA will be a difficult game...

I'm still saying 3-4 tough games out of 15... That's more than that one team from Blount Co. deal with. We'll be ready for them      :hungry:  :thumb:

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

IMO the reason the rest of the state continues to lose to Maryville is because they disrespect Maryville and furthermore they disrespect East Tennessee football as a whole. Last year I was sitting with the Blackman fans at the semi-finals game here in Maryville. They were so arrogant and convinced that they were going to kill Maryville because they had "The Murfreesboro Speed". And at the end of the night they drove back home with a loss. I have seen people on this board and IRL talking about the supremacy of Middle and Western Tennessee football. And I have heard people imply and outright say that Maryville has an easy road until the Semis. This way of thinking is so far off it isnt even funny. The fact is Maryville plays in a very tough district that challenges them as much as any other district in the state would. They also have a yearly rivalry with Alcoa who is a 3A team that could destroy most teams in the State regardless of classification. You might not know this by the weekly box scores because Maryville dominates. The fact is this does not reflect poorly on East Tennessee football, it just serves as proof that Maryville is really just that good. If you put maryville in any other district in the state they would dominate everyone with the exception of a close game here and there. Now Teams like the '12 Whitehaven and '13 Blackman squads are the exception but 9 times out of 10 Maryville will dominate any team they are on the field with. The sooner teams start realizing these facts the sooner they will start having more success against Maryville. You gotta come with the Kitchen sink and a total team effort if you want to beat them and sometimes even that isnt enough. Good luck to all the teams in West Tennessee in 2014. #respectdaeast

East Tenn football, top to bottom, is suspect, thus the reason ONE particular team (The Red Dragon) is year in and year out superior and they aren't always superior Talent wise... What I am saying is if every year Maryville produced a Patton  Robinette (sp?)  or 2-3 other Upper level D1 athletes I would understand the constant dominance because it would be a combination of better players and the best coaching in the state. The FACT that the coaching is the only thing that's consistent makes me believe that East Tenn football is ifey year in and year out. Maryville is not fielding a  quarter of UT or Vandy's roster. No disrespect to the OVC schools or Big South schools but that's the talent level that is prevalent with that team.