Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

East Tenn football, top to bottom, is suspect, thus the reason ONE particular team (The Red Dragon) is year in and year out superior and they aren't always superior Talent wise... What I am saying is if every year Maryville produced a Patton  Robinette (sp?)  or 2-3 other Upper level D1 athletes I would understand the constant dominance because it would be a combination of better players and the best coaching in the state. The FACT that the coaching is the only thing that's consistent makes me believe that East Tenn football is ifey year in and year out. Maryville is not fielding a  quarter of UT or Vandy's roster. No disrespect to the OVC schools or Big South schools but that's the talent level that is prevalent with that team.  

I tend to think that Maryville's schedule is pretty decent. I've seen schools on their schedule do well in the post season. (OOD teams) I also believe that Maryville is in the heads of East TN HS teams. Coaches on down to the managers. That's what happens when you go to the championship game 5 years in a row in 6A and hold three (3) Gold Balls and two (2) Silver. For years when Maryville played in 4A when there were only five classifications, all the Maryville folk heard was ... "Maryville is good in 4A, but they can't play with the big dogs". Well ... now Maryville IS the BIG DOG ... and they have figuratively put their finger to their lips and collectively told the rest of the doubters to ... SSSSHHHHH! As Anderw Jackson so eloquently stated ... "To the Victor goes the Spoils!" I haven't stated anything that anybody that follows high school sports in Tennessee doesn't already know.

However, this is a Shelby County Dsitrict 14, 15, and 16 thread. Why on earth is someone jumping in this thread spouting the virtues of Maryville? Maryville has their own thread. Take all of that talk to THAT thread. My Goodness!

Now ... if we can get people on WEST side of the Tennessee River that reside in Shelby County to comment on high school football in this area, it would be greatly appreciated. If BHS and I are the only people to make comments and it concentrates soley on Whitehaven ... that's understandable. Even if you DON'T reside in Shelby County, or close to it, this thread is dedicated to the schools that reside in that area.

Now ... back to your regularly scheduled program.

This just in from the Commercial Appeal.

1) Ridgeway RB, Earl Harrison has verbaled to play at Arkansas State.

2) Gridiron Heroes, a San Antonio-based non-profit orginization that provides resources and support to high school football players who have suffered catastophic spinal cord injuries, will be at Millington High Friday, May 16, 2014 to present a fully equiped van to former Trojans player Terrell Woods. Woods was paralyzed after suffering an injury to the upper part of his neck during a freshman game in 2007. Trojan football coach Chris Michael said Gridiron Heroes will be on hand during his team's scrimmage against Houston to present the van to Woods and his family. The scrimnmage will begin at about 5 p.m.

3) Whitehaven High School will host the "Make the Right Call" football camp Saturday, May 17, 2014 from 9 a.m  - 1 p.m. The camp will feature instruction for players aged 10 - 14 and will feature several NFL players, including former Harding Acadamy and current Baltimore Raven standout wide receiver Marlon Brown and Tennessee Titan linebacker Zach Brown. For registration information call (901) 484-7382 or visit geneticssportsmanagement.com

• 3 weeks later...

This just in from the Commercial Appeal.

Elontae Bateman, a 6'-3" 265-pound DL from Ridgeway verbally committed to Arkansas State joining his teammate RB Earl Harrison.

To date, the CA has stated that five Memphis area players high schoolers have verbally committed. The other three are Central's QB, Deddrick Thomas, who has committed to play at Mississippi State; Melrose ATH, Tony Pollard and MUS' DE, Peyton Jones who have both committed to play at The University of Memphis.

That's all for now folks.

Edited by kwc

East Tenn football, top to bottom, is suspect, thus the reason ONE particular team (The Red Dragon) is year in and year out superior and they aren't always superior Talent wise... What I am saying is if every year Maryville produced a Patton Robinette (sp?) or 2-3 other Upper level D1 athletes I would understand the constant dominance because it would be a combination of better players and the best coaching in the state. The FACT that the coaching is the only thing that's consistent makes me believe that East Tenn football is ifey year in and year out. Maryville is not fielding a quarter of UT or Vandy's roster. No disrespect to the OVC schools or Big South schools but that's the talent level that is prevalent with that team.

That's not really a good argument because very few teams can hang with Maryville.. Period.. Most teams in this state cant hang with them.. heck most teams in this Country couldn't hang with Maryville, so how does it reflect badly on East Tennessee football when our schools rarely hang with or beat Maryville? The facts dont lie ... Alcoa,Fulton, West, and Maryville (and Webb I think?) all represented East Tennessee in the title games this past year. And all of them but West not only won but dominated their state title matchups. And let's be real West gave that game away but thats neither here nor there. My point is the whole state has a very good brand of football, you can't diss East Tennessee football because we get beat by Maryville. We just get our beatdown earlier because we have to play them in the 1st,2nd, or 3rd round. Edited by Governors91

I've only seen the highlights of the Whitehaven scrimmage back in May. I also know that several people didn't play in that scrimmage. I'm interested in the opinions of those who were there or those who have seen the footage of the entire scrimmage. I did notice our abundance of DL, DE's and LB's. Our cup runneth over. I also noticed that our WR corp is insanely deep.

What was your impression guys?

Edited by kwc

Only Gov91 would come to a Shelby County thread and be talking about the merits of Maryville lol. 91 I am starting to think you're a closet Maryville fan. You can't seem to stop talkin' 'bout 'em :) Now let these guys have their thread back, geez lol

Haha. I think you're onto something

IMO the reason the rest of the state continues to lose to Maryville is because they disrespect Maryville and furthermore they disrespect East Tennessee football as a whole. Last year I was sitting with the Blackman fans at the semi-finals game here in Maryville. They were so arrogant and convinced that they were going to kill Maryville because they had "The Murfreesboro Speed". And at the end of the night they drove back home with a loss. I have seen people on this board and IRL talking about the supremacy of Middle and Western Tennessee football. And I have heard people imply and outright say that Maryville has an easy road until the Semis. This way of thinking is so far off it isnt even funny. The fact is Maryville plays in a very tough district that challenges them as much as any other district in the state would. They also have a yearly rivalry with Alcoa who is a 3A team that could destroy most teams in the State regardless of classification. You might not know this by the weekly box scores because Maryville dominates. The fact is this does not reflect poorly on East Tennessee football, it just serves as proof that Maryville is really just that good. If you put maryville in any other district in the state they would dominate everyone with the exception of a close game here and there. Now Teams like the '12 Whitehaven and '13 Blackman squads are the exception but 9 times out of 10 Maryville will dominate any team they are on the field with. The sooner teams start realizing these facts the sooner they will start having more success against Maryville. You gotta come with the Kitchen sink and a total team effort if you want to beat them and sometimes even that isnt enough. Good luck to all the teams in West Tennessee in 2014. #respectdaeast

Who Maryville Played from the Following States: GA, VA, NC, SC or AL??? How can you say how great they are compared to the rest of the country when they beating teams that DON'T BELIEVE they can beat them with the Rare exception of Alcoa??? Top to bottom its suspect in East TN. Suspect only means it lacks Depth of great Teams and Individual Talent, imho. Not saying the teams you mentioned can't or don't play good football, its just not as good as yall think. 

I've only seen the highlights of the Whitehaven scrimmage back in May. I also know that several people didn't play in that scrimmage. I'm interested in the opinions of those who were there or those who have seen the footage of the entire scrimmage. I did notice our abundance of DL, DE's and LB's. Our cup runneth over. I also noticed that our WR corp is insanely deep.

What was your impression guys?

Who did we Scrimmage? 

HEY MEMPHIS!!AND WHITEHAVEN...I HAVE BEEN GLOATING OVER WHAT MARK DODSON DID TO MERRYVILLE AND THEY HAVE FRIED ME FOR IT...IN WHICH YOU KNOW BY NOW I DON'T CARE AND AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION...I JUST WANTED TO HIGHLIGHT WHAT THE HEART OF A CHAMPION CAN ACCOMPLISH ON THE BIG STAGE...AND HE WAS NOT GOING TO BE DENIED BY THE ZEBRAS OR THE CHAMPS WHO WERE ON A 43 GAME WINNING STREAK BEFORE HE CRACKED THE CODE....YES I CAN RESPECT THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF A TEAM LIKE MERRYVILLE... BUT SOME OF THOSE TEAMS IN THE EAST JUST ACCEPT DEFEAT BEFORE THE EVEN PLAY THE GAME....NOW THE GOVERNOR.. IS FROM WILLIAM BLOUNT AND KNOW THEY SUCK AND CONTINUES TO CONCEDE TO THE CHAMPS AND IF WB THE TEAM HAS THAT MINDSET....THE CHAMPS WILL CONTINUE TO FEAST ON THOSE CUPCAKES.....AND I KNOW HOW FOOTBALL IS IN THE WEST AND MIDDLE....AND KNOW HOW IT IS IN THE EAST...VERY UNBALANCED...

I'M AN OOLTEWAH OWL TO HEART AND WE HAVE A VERY GOOD TEAM IMO....BUT JUST HADN'T REACHED THAT LEVEL OF CHAMPIONSHIP YET... BUT VERY WELL ON THE WAY..I WOULD NEVER CONCEDE TO ANY TEAM IN MY MIND THAT I THOUGHT COULDN'T BE BEAT....AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH SOME OF THESE EAST TEAMS....THEY HAVE TOO MUST RESPECT IMO...LOOKING FORWARD TO WHO EVER WILL CRACK THE CODE OF ANY OF THE CHAMPS....I LOVE A CHALLENGE....MAY THE BEST MAN WIN :thumb:

HEY MEMPHIS!!AND WHITEHAVEN...I HAVE BEEN GLOATING OVER WHAT MARK DODSON DID TO MERRYVILLE AND THEY HAVE FRIED ME FOR IT...IN WHICH YOU KNOW BY NOW I DON'T CARE AND AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION...I JUST WANTED TO HIGHLIGHT WHAT THE HEART OF A CHAMPION CAN ACCOMPLISH ON THE BIG STAGE...AND HE WAS NOT GOING TO BE DENIED BY THE ZEBRAS OR THE CHAMPS WHO WERE ON A 43 GAME WINNING STREAK BEFORE HE CRACKED THE CODE....YES I CAN RESPECT THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF A TEAM LIKE MERRYVILLE... BUT SOME OF THOSE TEAMS IN THE EAST JUST ACCEPT DEFEAT BEFORE THE EVEN PLAY THE GAME....NOW THE GOVERNOR.. IS FROM WILLIAM BLOUNT AND KNOW THEY SUCK AND CONTINUES TO CONCEDE TO THE CHAMPS AND IF WB THE TEAM HAS THAT MINDSET....THE CHAMPS WILL CONTINUE TO FEAST ON THOSE CUPCAKES.....AND I KNOW HOW FOOTBALL IS IN THE WEST AND MIDDLE....AND KNOW HOW IT IS IN THE EAST...VERY UNBALANCED...

I'M AN OOLTEWAH OWL TO HEART AND WE HAVE A VERY GOOD TEAM IMO....BUT JUST HADN'T REACHED THAT LEVEL OF CHAMPIONSHIP YET... BUT VERY WELL ON THE WAY..I WOULD NEVER CONCEDE TO ANY TEAM IN MY MIND THAT I THOUGHT COULDN'T BE BEAT....AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH SOME OF THESE EAST TEAMS....THEY HAVE TOO MUST RESPECT IMO...LOOKING FORWARD TO WHO EVER WILL CRACK THE CODE OF ANY OF THE CHAMPS....I LOVE A CHALLENGE....MAY THE BEST MAN WIN :thumb:

Fired from where???