Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

Both teams looked a little rusty as expected for a first scrimmage.. Millington's 1st offense score once while their 1st Def held Collierville's 1st Off scoreless. On the other hand Collierville's 2nd off score twice while holding Millington's 2nd Off scoreless. 

Collierville has some big boys up front on def. and was getting through Mill. O-line regularly but Mill. QB was very elusive, stay calm for the most part and done a pretty good job back there. Collierville's QB is a big boy. He's D1 size QB already and #21 just about caught everything thrown at him. Collierville also seemed to have very good speed and size on both sides of the ball. They were able to pick up several yards after the catch...

#6 and #44 really stood out on Def for Millington. made a lot of tackles. Collierville's was a lot deeper than Millington. I really look for Millington's #44 to put up some huge numbers this year along with their Jr. QB. This is his third year as a starter and it really showed even in their 1st scrimmage. 

#44 is Patrick Macon. He has lead the Trojans in tackles as a sophomore, and junior, and looks poised to have a big senior season. He has D-1 size for sure at 6'3" 235 pounds. Eldon Tyms is entering his junior season already starting for two years. Yes, you heard that right. He started varsity as a 9th grader which should pay huge dividends the next two years. He is diminutive in size, but is very elusive and pretty accurate throwing the football. Depth is a definite concern this year and moving forward as the New Millington School system has really reduced the size of the school (300 or so less kids for this year and probably another 100 more gone next year). But, MCHS will adapt. Millington has a legitimate chance to win the district crown this year. Arlington which has been their major competition the last 5 years is rebuild mode this year. I look for both Bartlett and Cordova to be much improved but both still 1 year away from any consistency. The big question on offense for the Trojans is who is going to run the football. The air apparent at the RB position was to be sophomore Keno Taylor who rushed for over 150 yards in the playoff game vs Germantown as a freshman, But a couple of weeks prior to summer camp, He informed the staff that he was moving out of state. Big blow but also a big opportunity for someone else. Where is another Barnes? (As you may or may not know Millington has been blessed over the last 25 years to have a plethora of RB's from the Barnes family. Brothers Marvin, Melvin, Marlon, Marcus, and Miguel and have played at Millington over the last 25 years and went out to play collegiately as well. Marlon being the most successful, playing at the University of Colorado and then in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins and Chicago Bears. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since tomorrow will be the official end of the preseason, I've been giving this some thought. Who has he toughest out of district schedlue between Ridgeway and White Station?

Ridgeway's out of district opponents:

Aug. 22 — at Olive Branch

Sept. 12 — at Henry Co.

Sept. 26 — Whitehaven at Halle

Oct. 23 — East at Fairgrounds

White Station's out of district opponents:

Aug. 22 — at South Panola

Aug. 29 — at Oakland

Sept. 26 — at Christian Brothers

Oct. 10 — Arlington at Fairgrounds

Since tomorrow will be the official end of the preseason, I've been giving this some thought. Who has he toughest out of district schedlue between Ridgeway and White Station?

Sept. 12 — at Henry Co.

Aug. 29 — at Oakland

Slight edge to White Station. Going to da Boro and to Batesville is almost assuring themselves 2 Ls

Slight edge to White Station. Going to da Boro and to Batesville is almost assuring themselves 2 Ls

Going to Olive Branch and going to Paris, TN isn't a cake walk either.. But, I agree ... slight edge by the tiniest of margins to White Stations degree of difficulty being greater the Ridgeway's ... but that tiny margin is extremely small in its infinitesimalness.

:o 

Sept. 12 — at Henry Co.

Aug. 29 — at Oakland

I believe they're about the same. But I'd have to go with White Station also due to the WH game weaking theirs slightly,,,,, :o  :roflol:  just joking BHS,,,,They're both tough non-D schedules.