Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

East Tenn football, top to bottom, is suspect, thus the reason ONE particular team (The Red Dragon) is year in and year out superior and they aren't always superior Talent wise... What I am saying is if every year Maryville produced a Patton  Robinette (sp?)  or 2-3 other Upper level D1 athletes I would understand the constant dominance because it would be a combination of better players and the best coaching in the state. The FACT that the coaching is the only thing that's consistent makes me believe that East Tenn football is ifey year in and year out. Maryville is not fielding a  quarter of UT or Vandy's roster. No disrespect to the OVC schools or Big South schools but that's the talent level that is prevalent with that team.  

Maryville wins because they play as a team. They don't depend on one or two stars. I have seen teams with a lot of supposed D1 players but those kids took a lot of plays off. Maryville may not produce a ton of D1 talent. What Maryville has a lot of is very good high school players. You take John Garrett for instance. John is 5'10 155lbs but played the QB position as well as you could play it. John had 44 tds passing and rushing. John only had 2 turnovers in 15 games. That is amazing. I saw Juwan Jennings play against Maryville. Juwan was outstandin but for my money I wouldn't trade John Garret tfor no one.

Maryville wins because they play as a team. They don't depend on one or two stars. I have seen teams with a lot of supposed D1 players but those kids took a lot of plays off. Maryville may not produce a ton of D1 talent. What Maryville has a lot of is very good high school players. You take John Garrett for instance. John is 5'10 155lbs but played the QB position as well as you could play it. John had 44 tds passing and rushing. John only had 2 turnovers in 15 games. That is amazing. I saw Juwan Jennings play against Maryville. Juwan was outstandin but for my money I wouldn't trade John Garret tfor no one.

Now don't get it twisted and wadded RevRon,,,,there is life after high school gold balls that collect dust in the SCHOOL Trophy case that don't follow the athlete as a major accolade sir...

Juan Jennings gets to play at the next level at a university near you...and i'm not talking about the one named after your beloved high school on the same road as WB and Heritage.....and he gets to go for free.....he may have had more than 2 turnovers....but it didn't effect his ability to attract a division 1 powerhouse....some athletes are looking at the big picture...the future..not loading up their high school dust grabber for the fans to gloat over on CoachT...and i'm sure Jennings wouldn't trade his future for no one either....#hewon

Don't worry kwc I won't crash your thread. Just had to address some things.

Passive:

I'm not the thread police and this IS a message board, which is an open forum. That being said,  I do appreciate your willingness to not hijack the thread.

Thank you sir.

Passive:

I'm not the thread police and this IS a message board, which is an open forum. That being said,  I do appreciate your willingness to not hijack the thread.

Thank you sir.

In your opinion, what is stopping other schools such as Arlington and Brighton from breaking the hold Whitehaven and White Station seem to have on the rest of 6A in West TN? Better Coaching? Simple Geography?

In your opinion, what is stopping other schools such as Arlington and Brighton from breaking the hold Whitehaven and White Station seem to have on the rest of 6A in West TN? Better Coaching? Simple Geography?

MidTennFootball:

That's a good question. It seems to me that things like this are cyclicle. Actually, It's a combination of things with some of the things you mentioned being a part of the whole tapestry. However, there is no simple answer to your question. Whitehaven and White Station weren't always the large school powerhouses that they are today. Both programs were built over time. I remember when both were doormat programs. Times have changed and both programs have evolved into what you see before you today as a result of cultural changes, administrative changes, coaching changes, philosophy changes, and the presence of an abundance talent as a result of increased student bodies.

Both Whitehaven and White Station put a lot of students in school on scholarship with football being just one avenue to which that endeavor is promulgated. Both schools do a terrific job at keeping the focus on continuing these young peoples education to further their development into successful adults with more opportunites as a result of the hardwork and dedication and emphasis placed upoon them in these institutions of learning.

If you ask, 'What does that do with the football programs being dominant?" I will tell you that it is interwoven in the fabric of what fuels these programs. It's why parents strive to get their sons and daughters enrolled into one of these two schools. That adds to the 'availability' to the abundance of talent. However, just because you have a large student body doesn't preclude that you will have a strong and vibrant football program. That's where coaching, community involvement, strong supportive booster programs, and strong alumni support also comes to play. Finacially, Whitehaven's program is in the black and not the red, and it's mostly due to a combination of student body and alumni participation, as well as, strong and empowered booster programs for both the football team and the band. The coaching staff makes sure that the players are prepared for what is expected. Schollastically as well as with football. They put in the work necessary to be successful. Coaches, student athletes, parents, everybody involved. I can't speak for White Station, but Whitehaven's football program has become a well oiled machine as a result of leadership and community involvement. The last four HC at Whitehaven are all Whitehaven grads. The next HC will also be a Whitehaven grad. The current head principle at Whitehaven, Dr, Hunter, is a Whitehaven grad who once served as the HC for several years before he went into administration at Whitehaven.

That's just off of the top of my head. There are far more extenuating circumstances that have also assisted into making Whitehaven a powerful football program and school. I can't speak for White Station, but I would gather that over the years it has gone through some similar type of metemorphasis.

I'm sure there are others who could weigh in on this topic/question.

That's my 0.02 cents worth.

Edited by kwc