Michael Hooker

mjgIII

From the USA Wrestling 75kg Greco preview: 

75 kg/165.35 lbs.

The 75 kg weight class will see many of the same players as the previous 74 kg weight class. 2013 World Team member Andy Bisek is the class of 75 kg. He has earned gold in four international tournaments since competing at the World Championships, including the Granma Cup, Dave Schultz Memorial International, Haavisto Cup and NYAC International. He also boasts a bronze medal from the 2013 S.A. Lavriko Championships held in St. Petersburg, Russia. Bisek was also a World Team member in 2011.

Michael Hooker wrestled Bisek first round.  Hooker won by fall in 4:19.  Not a bad start to his GR campaign.

From the USA Wrestling 75kg Greco preview: 

75 kg/165.35 lbs.

The 75 kg weight class will see many of the same players as the previous 74 kg weight class. 2013 World Team member Andy Bisek is the class of 75 kg. He has earned gold in four international tournaments since competing at the World Championships, including the Granma Cup, Dave Schultz Memorial International, Haavisto Cup and NYAC International. He also boasts a bronze medal from the 2013 S.A. Lavriko Championships held in St. Petersburg, Russia. Bisek was also a World Team member in 2011.

Michael Hooker wrestled Bisek first round.  Hooker won by fall in 4:19.  Not a bad start to his GR campaign.

This is incorrect.  Trackwrestling had it wrong at first.  Michael Hooker actually got DQ'd.  Michael was winning 4 - 0 in the 2nd period.  He got penalized to make it 4 - 1 and had to go on the bottom.  Bisek locked his hands around Michael's waist and lifter him off the mat.  Michael reached back and grabbed his ankle and the match was stopped and he lost due to a DQ.  Michael looked great up to that point.  Michael is now in the consolation rounds.

Christian Brothers product Nick Marable is 3 - 0 on the day and in the semi-finals.  He looks like a beast at 70 kg.

MBA product William Simpson won his first match and lost his second match and is in the consolation rounds.

Father Ryan product Mark Marchetti lost his first match and is in the consolation rounds.

Good luck to all!

This is incorrect.  Trackwrestling had it wrong at first.  Michael Hooker actually got DQ'd.  Michael was winning 4 - 0 in the 2nd period.  He got penalized to make it 4 - 1 and had to go on the bottom.  Bisek locked his hands around Michael's waist and lifter him off the mat.  Michael reached back and grabbed his ankle and the match was stopped and he lost due to a DQ.  Michael looked great up to that point.  Michael is now in the consolation rounds.

Christian Brothers product Nick Marable is 3 - 0 on the day and in the semi-finals.  He looks like a beast at 70 kg.

MBA product William Simpson won his first match and lost his second match and is in the consolation rounds.

Father Ryan product Mark Marchetti lost his first match and is in the consolation rounds.

Good luck to all!

Dang.  What I get for trusting Track.  Too bad for Hooker but it is encouraging to see that he is competitive with the best. And nice to see 4 Tennesseans in the tournament. 

Update:

Marable is in the semi-finals.  I believe the finals are tonight.

Simpson went 3 - 2 losing 3-0 in his last match.  Had he won, he would have placed. Both wrestlers who beat him will place.

Hooker goes 0 - 2.  Lost to the #1 seed on a DQ while winning 4-1.  Bisek is in the semi-finals.

Marchetti goes 0 - 2.

Good job by all Tennessee wrestlers for stepping up and wrestling the best the country has to offer.

UTC Soto goes 1 - 2.  Good job.

Are there any other Tennessee wrestlers in the tournament that I missed? I applaud all of these wrestlers for competing against the BEST!

Good luck to Nick in the semi-finals.  Memphis has to be proud.

Edited by facenthecrowd

McCoy Newberg (Nebraska) was 2-2

Scottie Boykin (UTC) is 2-0 at 211.5lbs

Michael Murphy (Chattanooga) was 2-2 with 1 bye

And Hamza Yunis, registered under Kenwood Hs went 0-2, caught Gabe Dean first round.

I didn't find any cadets from TN.

I wanna know where was our Fargo Champ Oliver, and the AA Robinson?

Edited by WrestlingGod

Dang.  What I get for trusting Track.  Too bad for Hooker but it is encouraging to see that he is competitive with the best. And nice to see 4 Tennesseans in the tournament.

Lifted from the USA wrestling board :

Why Greco pains me

Postby fullnelson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Just watched the 75kg Greco match with top seed Bisek against unknown M. Hooker; total screw job. Bisek never scored a single activity point. Hooker led 4-0 after 1st pd, but was called for passivity with 8 seconds then in the 2nd period Hooker gets called for passivity, giving up a point and placed in down position, he fights the gut and lifts, but apparently is called for a leg block violation which was unseen by this viewer. With an Olympic coach in the corner and USA officials clamoring for a call, Bisek wins via DQ. Hooker had no one (that officials recognized) to plea his side, and promptly loses. Greco blows and is far too subjective. Bring back the 70's and 80's when Greco was awesome.fullnelson

Silver Member

Silver Member

Edited by maj