summer camps

lovinbball

well I have a question for parents if you already had a vacation plan for june and the basketball coach tells your child if she goes on vacation and not camp she possiably wont be playing this season... I don't think that's right these are still kids and want to enjoying a little of the summer... they are being paid and its not like we will have a winning season we never do

Just cancelled a vacation over a summer camp yesterday. Coaches are bad about releasing summer schedules late. Our family just come to the conclusion can't plan too far in advance any more. Our family has been spending money on camps for years that were not mandatory. I would find a camp that meets your vacation schedule and tell coach I will sign her up with that camp to replace the week she missed.

There is a TSSAA mandatory 2 week dead period the last week of June and the first week of July. This would be a great time to schedule any vacations as it falls those two weeks every year. Basketball coaches/teams are only allowed 15 days to practice and compete during the offeseason. (those 15 days generally fall between June 1-21) So you can schedule vacations on spring break, fall break or anytime between June 21 and whenever school starts back. If I am the coach and I only have 3 weeks to work with my team from the time my season is over in February until practice starts in November. and you schedule your vacation during that time, I'd be upset too! Just saying...

• 4 weeks later...

well I have a question for parents if you already had a vacation plan for june and the basketball coach tells your child if she goes on vacation and not camp she possiably wont be playing this season... I don't think that's right these are still kids and want to enjoying a little of the summer... they are being paid and its not like we will have a winning season we never do

always in June till dead period

That is reason for dead period.

Most serious basketball players are use to it and expect it so u may want to get a schedule ahead of time and plan around it because Cousin Trev is right, after June you have July which is when the colleges are allowed a certain period of time to come out and see the tournaments and if your kid wants to play at the next level playing in July is a must, I say check your schedules because think about the money you will save if your child picks up some scholarship offers I'd take that deal over a vacation anyday. But like I said it's for serious basketball players because most are use to this type of schedule. And could someone please post June Camp schedules for the High Schools if you have any. Thanks in advance

Just cancelled a vacation over a summer camp yesterday. Coaches are bad about releasing summer schedules late. Our family just come to the conclusion can't plan too far in advance any more. Our family has been spending money on camps for years that were not mandatory. I would find a camp that meets your vacation schedule and tell coach I will sign her up with that camp to replace the week she missed.

Some coaches will work with players. The coach here cancelled a camp trip and added another since the 3 rising seniors would be unavailable.

As I said, you should always expect to play the entire month of June. You won't actually play the entire month unless your coach wants to practice a lot. 
Then IF your child plays AAU you should expect to play July 6-12, and July 22-28. 
IF your child is very serious about basketball they would gladly put vacation to the side in order to play as much basketball as possible.