New players at CPA

Hater247

I actually heard someone make a point about having a public private split. Public schools all have a zone for their schools with some type of feeder system. Private schools have no zone and subsequently have to recruit students to their schools. CPA just happens to have a guy in the admissions department that uses his position to better his teams. Has he ever really worked a day in his life? He has never even had to take a bad team and make them better. It's time to make a split!

The sign of a good coach is: he could take your players and beat his. I don't think he would do that with any team in his district!

I actually heard someone make a point about having a public private split. Public schools all have a zone for their schools with some type of feeder system. Private schools have no zone and subsequently have to recruit students to their schools. CPA just happens to have a guy in the admissions department that uses his position to better his teams. Has he ever really worked a day in his life? He has never even had to take a bad team and make them better. It's time to make a split!

Coach Maddux has a a built in team, coming up from elementary school every year.  Technically he doesn't need to recruit. However, he chooses to NOT develop and work with those current students, talent, and non-talent, but kids who want to work.

His goal is clearly not to have a typical high school team, at a smaller sized Christian school. He wants to coach a Nationally ranked team, full of nationally ranked players that he can boast about on twitter. He has even formed his own "Drew Maddux Academy" online for coaching, and as a way to make $$.  It's entirely self serving. 

He has been parading his various AAU boys in school uniforms around since he arrived at CPA. The administration and parents have gotten so caught up in the hype, and excitement of winning, that they haven't even noticed their own kids and kids friends aren't playing.

Coach Maddux has a a built in team, coming up from elementary school every year.  Technically he doesn't need to recruit. However, he chooses to NOT develop and work with those current students, talent, and non-talent, but kids who want to work.

His goal is clearly not to have a typical high school team, at a smaller sized Christian school. He wants to coach a Nationally ranked team, full of nationally ranked players that he can boast about on twitter. He has even formed his own "Drew Maddux Academy" online for coaching, and as a way to make $$.  It's entirely self serving. 

He has been parading his various AAU boys in school uniforms around since he arrived at CPA. The administration and parents have gotten so caught up in the hype, and excitement of winning, that they haven't even noticed their own kids and kids friends aren't playing.

I get the public/private hating, but your argument that you are concerned about the pain of "their own kids and kids friends" not playing is lame. Please produce one comment or proof that any parent or kid at CPA is complaining about their kid not playing. Parents and kids CHOOSE to come to CPA and pay the tuition for many reasons - the least of which is basketball. You think basketball is the sum total of the value of CPA, and you are wrong. My son was not even an athlete - he had disabilities - but we sent him to CPA because they cared for him,  and he got a Christian based education in a loving environment. If a parent wants their kid to play basketball in HS, and that kid is not a very good player, they may not choose CPA as their school. However, most better than average BB players who are willing to work hard as Maddux demands can be on the team. If you ever went to CPA games regularly, you would see the bench play and those kids play a lot and some would not start for some public schools.

You could care less about the kids at CPA who aren't on the team, and you do not know how they feel.

The sign of a good coach is: he could take your players and beat his. I don't think he would do that with any team in his district!

That is a stupid statement because it ignores the talent of the players.There is absolutely NO WAY you know that. That's like saying Saban is only a good coach if he could take the players at Slippery Rock and beat Alabama. It sounds good, but it has no basis of fact. Winning is a combination of players and coaches.

Take a survey of ADs at all HS's  in TN and ask them if they would like to have Maddux as a BB coach. Bet you would get a lot of takers.

That is a stupid statement because it ignores the talent of the players.There is absolutely NO WAY you know that. That's like saying Saban is only a good coach if he could take the players at Slippery Rock and beat Alabama. It sounds good, but it has no basis of fact. Winning is a combination of players and coaches.

Take a survey of ADs at all HS's in TN and ask them if they would like to have Maddux as a BB coach. Bet you would get a lot of takers.

I think many people wonder how well Maddux would do on a level playing field. Jerry Green & Wade Houston would have Gold Balls if coaching at CPA the past few years. Would Maddux be lauded as a great coach as he is now in many circles if he coached at a aa public school that simply got the next crop of incoming 8th graders? I doubt it, but we will never find out for sure. One Gold Ball is not a lot to show for all that talent of the past few years and a damaged reputation statewide.

I think many people wonder how well Maddux would do on a level playing field. Jerry Green & Wade Houston would have Gold Balls if coaching at CPA the past few years. Would Maddux be lauded as a great coach as he is now in many circles if he coached at a aa public school that simply got the next crop of incoming 8th graders? I doubt it, but we will never find out for sure. One Gold Ball is not a lot to show for all that talent of the past few years and a damaged reputation statewide.

First of all, you are right - we will never find out for sure. Secondly, you are wrong - it is two gold balls, and another final 4 appearance, losing to a very good Southside team that won it all and played a great game when CPA did not play a great game and had their best players on the bench at the end. Great teams (like Southside and CPA) do lose sometimes, but that does not make losers, or the coach a bad coach. CPA, under Maddux, holds a record for most wins in a row against Tennessee teams, and has beaten several nationally ranked teams outside of the state.

"Ifs and buts" mean nothing. You can disagree and I respect that, but I assure you most BB teams in Tennessee would be better off (and win) with Maddux than without him. One other thing I can assure you - the players would graduate better people than when they arrived. Some of you haters who don't like CPA in the public realm (again, I get it) would be well served to really get to know Maddux beyond what you think he is, and what other haters say he is. You may be surprised.

• Upvote 1

First of all, you are right - we will never find out for sure. Secondly, you are wrong - it is two gold balls, and another final 4 appearance, losing to a very good Southside team that won it all and played a great game when CPA did not play a great game and had their best players on the bench at the end. Great teams (like Southside and CPA) do lose sometimes, but that does not make losers, or the coach a bad coach. CPA, under Maddux, holds a record for most wins in a row against Tennessee teams, and has beaten several nationally ranked teams outside of the state.

"Ifs and buts" mean nothing. You can disagree and I respect that, but I assure you most BB teams in Tennessee would be better off (and win) with Maddux than without him. One other thing I can assure you - the players would graduate better people than when they arrived. Some of you haters who don't like CPA in the public realm (again, I get it) would be well served to really get to know Maddux beyond what you think he is, and what other haters say he is. You may be surprised.

I stand corrected- 2 gold balls and should have been 3 if not for some goofy calls a few years ago. Still, not sure if the wins and success on the court are in line with the school's purported mission. Not that I agree, but often perception is seen as reality and CPA's rep across the state is not too great. But then again I guess I am just a hater. Drew has had a lot of success, but has done it in a way that most coaches can't. Haven't seen him develop home grown talent like most coaches must do to be successful. Bottom line is he is playing by a different set of rules.

How does a kid from Iowa just happen to show up at CPA? They are recruiting through the AAU process and it is time for them to go private where recruiting is legal.

Kid's mom asks "who is a good coach/program" that her son could play for in high school. She is given Drew Maddox's name. Parents have the means and willing to move. They initiate/come visit with CPA. They like it and move to Tennessee. If they don't like it they move on to the next option/school.   

"If" a level playing field is that all teams are equal, I like my chances with Coach Maddox. As far as "the next crop of 8th graders"?  Head down to Rutherford County and see all the transferring/moving/maneuvering that goes on to get to the public high school of choice for athletic purposes.   

"If" a level playing field is that all teams are equal, I like my chances with Coach Maddox. As far as "the next crop of 8th graders"?  Head down to Rutherford County and see all the transferring/moving/maneuvering that goes on to get to the public high school of choice for athletic purposes.   

A lot of the problems around the state would be solved if all schools within the top 10 population counties where in their own division regardless of "school size":  Shelby, Davidson, Knox, Hamilton, Rutherford, Williamson, Sumner, Montgomery, Sullivan, and Blount.  That would be interesting!

Kid's mom asks "who is a good coach/program" that her son could play for in high school. She is given Drew Maddox's name. Parents have the means and willing to move. They initiate/come visit with CPA. They like it and move to Tennessee. If they don't like it they move on to the next option/school.   

This is way too simple for haters to understand or accept. They buy into the concept that if you win and succeed, you must be cheating, and if you lose and don't succeed, it must be someone's else's fault. That's the new America.

That is a stupid statement because it ignores the talent of the players.There is absolutely NO WAY you know that. That's like saying Saban is only a good coach if he could take the players at Slippery Rock and beat Alabama. It sounds good, but it has no basis of fact. Winning is a combination of players and coaches.

Take a survey of ADs at all HS's  in TN and ask them if they would like to have Maddux as a BB coach. Bet you would get a lot of takers.

Since you are ignorant  (not trying to be negative) that quote is what people used to say about the great Bear Bryant. I would like to see him coach "normal" students", not all stars from all over the mid-state and now Iowa. I guess the next we will hear is some Mom from Germany asking about sending her 6' 7" son to the best basketball factory in Tn. I don't have any problem with parents sending their children to these factories but at least put them in their own division with the rest of the privates. 

Maddux is a good coach but we will never know how good he is because he will never coach normal players. Most schools will never in their history will have the talent level CPA has had the last four years. To me that just doesn't seem normal for a school so small to have that much talent.