7-AAA 2014

With the dead period upon us, that means we are just 2 months away from the start of the 2014 season. This will be a interesting season for the district as most of the district has some major questions to be answered heading into the 2014 season. So without further delay, my predictions for 2014...................

1.) Oakland- I am sure alot of you are saying "suprise, suprise, the Oakland Alum picks the Patriots", but trust me when I say that this is the most talented team Oakland has ever fielded. 9 of Oakland's upcoming seniors have already received scholarship offers, with 4 of those players offers from FBS schools. It is true that talent does not always win championships, but experience does, something Oakland has plenty of with 15 returning starters. Quarterback will once again be a question mark for Oakland going into the spring with 3 QB's vying for playing time. Oakland will also need to find an answer at punter and placekicker

The matchup everyone wants to see will be its Week 0 matchup against Blackman. If the Patriots can navigate safely through that game, Oakland will be a decisive favorite in every game for the rest of the year. 

Players to Watch: OL Jack Jones, TB/LB Kevin Prather, QB/S Tyler Black, OL Hudson Smith, DT Ty Nix, LB Josh Smith, WR Kyle Oliver

2.) Blackman- Gone from the record-setting 2013 season is a entire front seven on defense, as well as Defensive Coordinator Steve Williams, who has become Head Coach at Nashville Overton. Returning however is a offense that will be as good as anybody next season, will a always reliable offensive line, supported by a dynamic receiver corps and a running game that is a good as anyone in the area. Blackman for sure will not have any problems putting points on the board, but can their defense gel in time for their Week 0 showdown against Oakland? Would be a major suprise if Blackman loses to anyone inside district play outside of the Patriots

Players to Watch: QB/S Jauan Jennings, WR/DB Ronnie Killings, WR Quin Hardy, LB Andre Talley, OL Caleb LaFleur

3.) Siegel- In a year where there is a razor thin difference bewteen 3rd-7th in this district, Siegel gets the nod because of the remaining schools, it is the best overall program in all phases. Siegel lost a ton of experience on both sides of the ball, but has the potential to have a high flying offense once again with a influx of talent at the tailback position. Siegel does have some question marks at receiver, but I anticipate those will be answered. The defense has to be better for Siegel to be a contender this year, the defense forced Siegel into alot of shootouts last year, which the Stars can no doubt handle, but eventually it is going to take its toll. Despite its losses, I still expect Siegel to be playoff bound in 2011.

Players to Watch: TB/DB Andre Knox, TB/LB Andrew Knox, WR/LB, Greedy Howse, QB Jordan Middleton, WR/DE Luke Hillis

4.) Riverdale- There is no doubt Riverdale had a strong finish to the 2013 season, making one wonder only what could have been if Riverdale came out to start the 2013 season with that kind of effort. The good news is that the strong finish should not be in vain as Riverdale returns a ton of experience on both sides of the ball. A strong running game will once again lead the Warriors on offense in 2014, but if Riverdale is to make major strides this season, they will have to upgrade the passing game as well.

Players to Watch: QB/DB Gene Odom, RB/DB Austin McGrone, RB/LB Austin Bryant, TE/LB Jalon Baker, OL/DL Ethan Aurand

5.) Smyrna- 2013 was a nice bounce back season for the Bulldogs, winning 6 games a year after going 1-9. For the Bulldogs to continue their surge to the top however, they are going to need to find some answers on offense. Look for Smyrna to turn to a spread-based offense, but the emphasis will still be on establishing the run first. If Smyrna can come up with a solid defensive line, they have the making of what could be a pretty good defense.

Players to Watch: QB John Turner, WR/DB D.J. Williams, TE/LB Dallas Padgett, LB Austin Brown, OL Josh Baker

6.) LaVergne- If Football was just about having the most talent, then the Wolverines would no doubt be playoff bound in 2014. Unfortunately for LaVergne, that is not the case. LaVergne has talent galore at the skill positions, but must get solid play out of their men in the trenches for them to have any chance at making some noise in 2014. I could see LaVergne finishing as high as 3rd or 4th, but until they put it all together and prove to everyone that they can do it, it is just a pipe dream. LaVergne will also need answers at QB as well, a position of strength for them last season

Players to Watch: ATH Maleik Gray, WR Quin Jernighan, RB/DB, WR/DB O'Shea Benjamin, QB/s Mario Dismuke, DL Jean Phills

7.) Stewarts Creek- I expect the 2nd season for Stewarts Creek to be a improvement for them, even if it does not show that much in the won-loss record. A big issue with any new program is consistency. Stewarts Creek had a chance to win a few more games, but just wasnt able to make it happen. On offense, Stewarts Creek should be pretty solid for their 2nd year, games where they tear it up should be more plentiful. For them to show improvement in the won-loss department, the defense will need to make strides.

Players to Watch: QB Mason Hall, TB Jasper Snowden, ATH Jerry Carnell, WR/DB Cynterius Lyons, LB Connor Helton

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write-up. I think this is the year that Lavergne might sneak up and surprise some people. Also, having the Oakland vs. Blackman game Week 0 works out really well for the Patriots. There are a lot of question marks on the Blaze defense and it will take them a couple of weeks to get things firing on all cylinders. I expect Oakland to be more game-ready off the bat because of the experience they have coming back. 10-0 for the Patriots, 8-2 for the Blaze

Great write-up. I think this is the year that Lavergne might sneak up and surprise some people. Also, having the Oakland vs. Blackman game Week 0 works out really well for the Patriots. There are a lot of question marks on the Blaze defense and it will take them a couple of weeks to get things firing on all cylinders. I expect Oakland to be more game-ready off the bat because of the experience they have coming back. 10-0 for the Patriots, 8-2 for the Blaze

Ive fallen into the trap on being optimistic about LaVergne more than a few times. Until Coach Stevens is willing to put the commitment that every other program in this district puts in, they are going to continue to be in the bottom part of the district.

You are right about Oakland getting to play Blackman Week 0. Blackman has more questions than Oakland at this point. The Blaze always seem to get better as the year goes on as well. However, having this game in Week 0 helps Blackman  as well, because I doubt they would want to play Oakland and Hoover in consecutive weeks

Ive fallen into the trap on being optimistic about LaVergne more than a few times. Until Coach Stevens is willing to put the commitment that every other program in this district puts in, they are going to continue to be in the bottom part of the district.

You are right about Oakland getting to play Blackman Week 0. Blackman has more questions than Oakland at this point. The Blaze always seem to get better as the year goes on as well. However, having this game in Week 0 helps Blackman  as well, because I doubt they would want to play Oakland and Hoover in consecutive weeks

Excellent point about Stanton Stevens over at Lavergne. He did the same thing at Oak Ridge that he's doing at Lavergne and he set their proud program back a good amount in a short time.