Region 1 back to the present

marshiebaby

since there are only a few of us I hope you all don't mind putting the past threads behind us. New year looking forward to our chats and opinions for the future. As is the norm Science Hill will lead the way with I think a more contentious opposition than the past thanks to upcomming Tenn High, Jeff County, and to some degree but less DB who has sincere potential state champ on the team. Just my two cents hope you are having a great summer!

• 3 weeks later...

Sincerely asking not knowing the longer term history, how long has it been since we had so many potential state finalists and placers in this region? not discounting what the split did at all - but split or not there are three at least from different schools that would have a sincere "no pumping needed" shot at state finals split or no, and a significant number of placers heading into the year not just developing through the year... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How does Science Hill's line up look this season? It will hard to replace guys like Hudgens, Vaughn, and Bagley. Not saying you guys won't be at the top but it will be tough to find point scorers like them.

Also any word on Storm Williams? Still hurt? Haven't seen him at any off season practices.

Edited by newcoach215

Uneducated outsider guess - Cooper williams and eric yother gonna be very productive regionally in the lower weights, middles Lane, Rolston, Jessie surely are making a leap this year with all their experience, strength is pinners in the upper weights Hardin will be very productive and tech or pin most if he is healthy, the bash brothers Nyguen and Bagley interchangeable because they weigh the same can slide throughout 82 to 220 for matchups -  Nyguen is gonna be a force in the region this year (worked harder than any of them this summer) at 82 or 95 and Bagley gonna dominate the region and slide up to 220 anytime we need 6 to win a dual, then the bonus points if Burress is back at heavy he should be able to win most if not all regional heavyweight matches.  Some middle schoolers moving up been in the system 2 years with Coach Price should make the remaining difference... 

Edited by marshiebaby
  • Upvote 1

I have watched the Region 1 threads for a while but I can longer sit by and watch as you all continue to stick your heads in the sand.  Region 1 is so far from being competitive on the state level its beyond funny.  What did you have, 2 or 3 place winners last year?  Out of a possible 84--not a very good percentage.  And then to hear this talk of the kids from Science Hill who will "dominate" and move around at will to gain an easy 6.  This is just ridiculous.  Come on Region 1, get your blinders off!

Edited by truthsquad

I have watched the Region 1 threads for a while but I can longer sit by and watch as you all continue to stick your heads in the sand. Region 1 is so far from being competitive on the state level its beyond funny. What did you have, 2 or 3 place winners last year? Out of a possible 84--not a very good percentage. And then to hear this talk of the kids from Science Hill who will "dominate" and move around at will to gain an easy 6. This is just ridiculous. Come on Region 1, get your blinders off!

The fact that you feel the need to talk about how bad high school level athletes are is sad. I'm also not going to sit and try to convince you how good region 1 is. Quite frankly I don't care how good you think it is. I do find it awful that a grown man has to go on a message board and down high school kids. Bad for the sport and makes you look like a sad individual. Just my 2 cents. Edited by newcoach215
  • Upvote 1

No--that's not what I said at all NewCoach215. You may have chosen to interpret this way for arguments sake, but not what I said.  What I said was those from Region 1 who post on here have their heads in the sand.  I don't think many of the posts are from the wrestlers themselves.  The point is there seems to be a vague sense of reality amongst the parents.  You, for example always seem to tout the Morristown squads who were, for lack of a better term, AWFUL, last year.  I'm just saying...I live in a small town near some of the power house teams in the state.  I rarely, if ever, see parents here go on a message board trying to blow smoke about how there team will dominate.  Maybe its blind optimism on your part, or maybe its just a different take on reality up there in East TN. 

Keep the change.

No--that's not what I said at all NewCoach215. You may have chosen to interpret this way for arguments sake, but not what I said. What I said was those from Region 1 who post on here have their heads in the sand. I don't think many of the posts are from the wrestlers themselves. The point is there seems to be a vague sense of reality amongst the parents. You, for example always seem to tout the Morristown squads who were, for lack of a better term, AWFUL, last year. I'm just saying...I live in a small town near some of the power house teams in the state. I rarely, if ever, see parents here go on a message board trying to blow smoke about how there team will dominate. Maybe its blind optimism on your part, or maybe its just a different take on reality up there in East TN.

Keep the change.

I understand what you're saying and by no means do I think our teams are going to go out and beat Cleveland 72-0 or something outrageous. I'm talking about the improvement. That's what the sport is about. I'm not blowing any team up to be unbeatable but I know they will have just from west atleast 5 make it to state. The record is 4 so its not blind optimization I just believe kids deserve credit when they get better. I also want to point out the fact that region 1 had several kids who are by no means scrubs. Believe it or not there are tough kids in Morristown who work just as hard as everyone else. To judge a wrestler just because they are in region 1 is short sited. Especially when you look like at a team like west. They may not have been very good but Griffen Broyles beat a few ranked guys last year. From east they have Storm Williams and Landon Porter. Also both solid kids. Tennessee high is no joke, db always has it together and science hill is science hill. I have no doubt that you know what good wrestling is but improvement is the most important key in this sport. You misunderstand when we talk about our teams and think we are making them out to be this seasons state champs when in reality we are just excited about improvement. At least that's my point of view.

Having a successful wrestling team in Tennessee is relative depending on the program.  For a few they pitch the 2nd place state tournament trophy in the trash (I have watched this before) on the way out the door.  For other teams if they can get 2 or 3 wrestlers to the state tournament they have had a successful season.  It all depends on the expectations of the team and their fans.

Having a successful wrestling team in Tennessee is relative depending on the program. For a few they pitch the 2nd place state tournament trophy in the trash (I have watched this before) on the way out the door. For other teams if they can get 2 or 3 wrestlers to the state tournament they have had a successful season. It all depends on the expectations of the team and their fans.

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm getting at!

I have watched the Region 1 threads for a while but I can longer sit by and watch as you all continue to stick your heads in the sand.  Region 1 is so far from being competitive on the state level its beyond funny.  What did you have, 2 or 3 place winners last year?  Out of a possible 84--not a very good percentage.  And then to hear this talk of the kids from Science Hill who will "dominate" and move around at will to gain an easy 6.  This is just ridiculous.  Come on Region 1, get your blinders off!

I generally dont get into this with moronic half cocked statements, but if you bother to read the discussion was between two Region 1 fans - talking about REGION 1 dual competition.  The discussion was about dominant REGION 1 wrestlers relative to Region 1 duals... Busy body...

And furthermore our regional successes are relative to past region 1 success, if you are so hyper focused on your regions superiority frame it in a discussion about your region like we were doing amongst ourselves, and of course i will leave you alone... 

Lastly having three returning placers each from different schools is an improvement and is a good restart with me in comparison to recent history...