WC Pioneers 2014

rickgrimes

I respectfully disagree. If they had loads of talent, it would have shown over the years. Schools with loads of talent, can at least be average on talent alone most years. I'm not trying to make this a white/black thing, but their population is 91.66% white. Compare that to other schools their size, and there will lie the biggest difference.

I know I don't have a dog in this race but I am going to have to disagree. Teams with lots of talent can definitely be bad if they don't have good coaching or discipline. If your coach's scheme doesn't fit the players strengths you will not win ballgames. Especially if you play in a district full of good teams who are disciplined and have good coaches. And on the white/black thing... Do you not realize that maryville is a predominantly white school? they go to state every year.

A big part is disciine and coaching, just look at your Tigers. There were a lot of 1-9 and 3-7 seasons until Trapp took over and it was his 4th year before you really started seeing a turn around. You have to get the kids to buy into the system and keep a coaching staff together for more than 3-4 years before you will see real success. In the past 24 years there have been 8 head football coaches at Warren County, you can't have success without consistency

I know I don't have a dog in this race but I am going to have to disagree. Teams with lots of talent can definitely be bad if they don't have good coaching or discipline. If your coach's scheme doesn't fit the players strengths you will not win ballgames. Especially if you play in a district full of good teams who are disciplined and have good coaches. And on the white/black thing... Do you not realize that maryville is a predominantly white school? they go to state every year.

Yes they can be bad, and a lot of times they are. Teams with top talent aren't awful for nearly two and a half decades though. At some point, they will just out talent other teams, even when coaching is lacking. It's not like WC has been playing in a top district either. Maryville is the exception, not the rule. It helps when you have the tradition of winning, plus a top 3 coach.

A big part is disciine and coaching, just look at your Tigers. There were a lot of 1-9 and 3-7 seasons until Trapp took over and it was his 4th year before you really started seeing a turn around. You have to get the kids to buy into the system and keep a coaching staff together for more than 3-4 years before you will see real success. In the past 24 years there have been 8 head football coaches at Warren County, you can't have success without consistency

I agree 100% with all that. There is no reason why WC cant have consistent success, but that's not what we was talking about.

Hold on a minute sir, I watched practice today and I didn't see a single kid complain about those two young men. Maybe they didn't have a ride or had to work or whatever, maybe they talked to the coach and worked it out, I don't know but if the coaches and the players are ok with the situation that's all that matters. The Pioneers don't need your negativity, so either support them or comment on another subject

Good Luck to the Pioneers this year ..Discipline cost last years team greatly so maybe Coach Smith has that figured out.

alot of good Kids on this team that I think alot of so I hope they are as successful as I know they can be.They will probly surprise alot of teams so Get your popcorn ready!

Edited by SmashmouthFB

Hold on a minute sir, I watched practice today and I didn't see a single kid complain about those two young men. Maybe they didn't have a ride or had to work or whatever, maybe they talked to the coach and worked it out, I don't know but if the coaches and the players are ok with the situation that's all that matters. The Pioneers don't need your negativity, so either support them or comment on another subject

If the coaches and the team are fine with these young men coming back to the team, then I guess that's all that really matters. They aren't hurting anyone but themselves and the team by not being there. Personally, I don't buy the "had to work", or "no ride" excuse. These kids knew their summer football schedule well in advance. You cant tell me they couldn't of talked with their bosses, and scheduled their work around football to ensure their participation in offseason programs. You also cant convince me that if they had wanted to be there, they couldn't of found a ride. Someone on the team would of gladly picked them up. All this sounds an awful lot like how the old staff ran things. All the Jimmy's were there participating for everything all summer long. They worked their butt's off, and done everything that was asked of them. The Joe's decided to show back up a month before the beginning of the season. They missed just about the entire summer, and didn't put in all the hard work. Come game 1, the Joe's are starting over all the Jimmy's. With this stuff going on in the past, it amazes me when people continue to wonder why WC hasn't had success. Simple little things like players missing extended periods of time, then being welcomed back open armed, will always cause internal problems. If this turns out to be a regular thing, players will basically be forced to choose sides like in the past. If that happens, the team will be divided in the locker room, and once again, rumors will rapidly being to spread within the community. No matter how great a coach may be, or all the talent a team may have, if your team is divided, you're not going to have much success, especially sustained success.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

Success will come when you people quit worrying about who does what and who plays where. Support Coach Smith and he will build a winner. He might not be there very long but the man can coach football. Support his decisions whether you agree with them or not, he is the man thats running the program. He will do whats best for his team regardless of opinions any way. When the community is ready to win they will win, until then it will be the same old sad song. Good luck to WC and Coach Smith.

Success will come when you people quit worrying about who does what and who plays where. Support Coach Smith and he will build a winner. He might not be there very long but the man can coach football. Support his decisions whether you agree with them or not, he is the man thats running the program. He will do whats best for his team regardless of opinions any way. When the community is ready to win they will win, until then it will be the same old sad song. Good luck to WC and Coach Smith.

agree...but, he has to have enough talent

Having watched WC play for most of the past 30 years as PBP voice of Tullahoma, I have always been impressed with the tremendous support of the fans. No matter how bad the team might be at times, when we go to McMinnville its always a great crowd cheering on their Pioneers.

The issue of players missing offseason workouts happens at most schools. To suggest there is no excuse for young men missing football-related things in the middle of the summer is unrealistic.

Continuety is, in my opinion, one of the most important factors in building a winning high school sports program. Shelbyville, Lawrence Co. and Franklin Co. are examples of programs that have stuck with coaches and are now consistently solid, competitive programs. Warren Co. and Coffee Co. are two examples of programs that have not stuck with any coach long enough to develop that. Hopefully that changes with Scott Smith and Ryan Sulkowski.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. Nothing. There are a lot of factors that go into a football team's success or failure, but the race of the players is not one of them. IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Having watched WC play for most of the past 30 years as PBP voice of Tullahoma, I have always been impressed with the tremendous support of the fans. No matter how bad the team might be at times, when we go to McMinnville its always a great crowd cheering on their Pioneers.

The issue of players missing offseason workouts happens at most schools. To suggest there is no excuse for young men missing football-related things in the middle of the summer is unrealistic.

Continuety is, in my opinion, one of the most important factors in building a winning high school sports program. Shelbyville, Lawrence Co. and Franklin Co. are examples of programs that have stuck with coaches and are now consistently solid, competitive programs. Warren Co. and Coffee Co. are two examples of programs that have not stuck with any coach long enough to develop that. Hopefully that changes with Scott Smith and Ryan Sulkowski.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. Nothing. There are a lot of factors that go into a football team's success or failure, but the race of the players is not one of them. IMHO.

Scott is correct on Shelbyville, FC, and Lawrence Co. The school Principals understand how to build a program and it takes time, patience, and support from the administrators even when times are tough. Each one of those Principals made sound decisions in choosing their coach and have supported them.