MyTV30's Thursday Night Lights is now Friday Night Rivals

MTSN

I only found out about the change today. They don't have a schedule out yet, but I do know that the broadcast team will be completely different (yep, no more Murphy Fair).

I'm thinking they made this change because they didn't want to go up against CBS's Thursday Night NFL block, but that's just me.

Edited by MTSN

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TNL's will be missed and this may be a mistake because I'd rather be sitting in the stands Friday nights.

Yep. I think this is a gamble that may not work out in the long run. CSS lasted less than a decade with a full slate of Friday night games before their schedule went from a half-season to no games at all.

Another big thing for me regarding TNL was the fact that they had a different title sponsor every single year, and FNR has a different one in Dr Pepper. I know times are tough, but having a different title sponsor each year is a red flag that maybe the people behind the production aren't treating the big sponsor like they should.

Edited by MTSN

Yep. I think this is a gamble that may not work out in the long run. CSS lasted less than a decade with a full slate of Friday night games before their schedule went from a half-season to no games at all.

Another big thing for me regarding TNL was the fact that they had a different title sponsor every single year, and FNR has a different one in Dr Pepper. I know times are tough, but having a different title sponsor each year is a red flag that maybe the people behind the production aren't treating the big sponsor like they should.

Or doesnt know what theyre doing at all. I like Kevin Ingram and Kelly Holcomb both, but most games they have no idea what they were talking about.

Nobody is going to sit at home to watch a game when there are games all over the place that they can attend personally

Or doesnt know what theyre doing at all. I like Kevin Ingram and Kelly Holcomb both, but most games they have no idea what they were talking about.

Nobody is going to sit at home to watch a game when there are games all over the place that they can attend personally

And there's another part of it. The schedule for the Rivalry Thursday series on MyVLT2 in Knoxville is already out. It's been out. Friday Night Rivals hasn't released their schedule yet, and we were a month from the season starting back on Monday. They need to post a schedule on their site, and fill it in as they confirm games, because the longer you wait to unveil a whole 11-week schedule, the more and more people are going to start to wonder if you'll be around at all. That's not good business sense. When they aired basketball games back in January and February, they didn't even have a schedule of games on their website. You had to see the broadcast itself to know which game was next. I read an interview with the guy whose production company does all the behind-the-scenes work for FNR and HS Hoops. He says they're talking about adding baseball in the future, but if poor promotion by the people who air the games continues, there won't be any FNR or HS Hoops or whatever they would title a baseball broadcast because people won't care if the station gives no effort.

And there's another part of it. The schedule for the Rivalry Thursday series on MyVLT2 in Knoxville is already out. It's been out. Friday Night Rivals hasn't released their schedule yet, and we were a month from the season starting back on Monday. They need to post a schedule on their site, and fill it in as they confirm games, because the longer you wait to unveil a whole 11-week schedule, the more and more people are going to start to wonder if you'll be around at all. That's not good business sense. When they aired basketball games back in January and February, they didn't even have a schedule of games on their website. You had to see the broadcast itself to know which game was next. I read an interview with the guy whose production company does all the behind-the-scenes work for FNR and HS Hoops. He says they're talking about adding baseball in the future, but if poor promotion by the people who air the games continues, there won't be any FNR or HS Hoops or whatever they would title a baseball broadcast because people won't care if the station gives no effort.

Or if you just fill it up with local sports personalities and not people who are informed at the high school level. I dont have a problem revealing a schedule because its hard to guess which games will turn out over the course of a season. Maybe come up with games that you know beyond a doubt that you will do, and leave some wiggle room for a team or two that might suprise this season. 

Or if you just fill it up with local sports personalities and not people who are informed at the high school level. I dont have a problem revealing a schedule because its hard to guess which games will turn out over the course of a season. Maybe come up with games that you know beyond a doubt that you will do, and leave some wiggle room for a team or two that might suprise this season. 

I've always thought that they should do a flex schedule, or viewers' choice games, like CSS did in its later years, come October. I remember when their last game in 2010 was Independence-Ravenwood, when both teams were below .500 and out of playoff contention. Indy won that game 9-3. Being on Fridays now makes it a bit easier to flex.

Another issue, though, is the fact that, outside of exposure, there's no real benefit to the school itself (read: $). I won't mention whom, but one school won't let TNL/FNR around anymore because they end up losing money with people opting to stay home, and the station offers no partial recoup. I sure hope ESPN is giving Blackman something besides exposure for the Oakland game, because that's kind of a raw deal to have two teams based in the Southeast playing at 11 AM on a Sunday in August.

Edited by MTSN

I've always thought that they should do a flex schedule, or viewers' choice games, like CSS did in its later years, come October. I remember when their last game in 2010 was Independence-Ravenwood, when both teams were below .500 and out of playoff contention. Indy won that game 9-3. Being on Fridays now makes it a bit easier to flex.

Another issue, though, is the fact that, outside of exposure, there's no real benefit to the school itself (read: $). I won't mention whom, but one school won't let TNL/FNR around anymore because they end up losing money with people opting to stay home, and the station offers no partial recoup. I sure hope ESPN is giving Blackman something besides exposure for the Oakland game, because that's kind of a raw deal to have two teams based in the Southeast playing at 11 AM on a Sunday in August.

Agreed. Frankly, if ESPN wanted to televise the game that badly, that should have given Blackman enough leverage to schedule this game at a time where the weather wont be so oppressive

• 2 weeks later...