District 4A 2014-2015

Cookevegas3

Its never too early to talk about the upcoming basketball season.  Predictions, best players, etc.  So Coalfield, Jellico, Oakdale, Oliver Springs, Oneida, Sunbright, and Wartburg, lets hear it!  I will start it off so we have something to debate and agree to disagree.  I will base this off what everyone has returning....power rankings/predictions.....

Coalfield - Lost a good player in Hill, but returns a good cast of players that were part of last year's championship team. 

Jellico - Returns their PG, but lost 2 key players(shooter and post) from last season.  They did play a few young guys last season who will need to step up their play this coming year.

Oakdale - All 5 starters return and they are a year older.  Still no seniors in their starting 5.  They need to develop some depth behind a talented starting lineup.

Oliver Springs - Returns a lot of players who played last season including 4 starters.  They played with a lot of youth and inexperience last season so this could be the year the get back to the top. 

Oneida - They were hit hard with the loss of West as he carried that team.  They return the best shooter in the district but need others to step up to help fill the loss of West.

Sunbright - They return a good scorer who came out of nowhere last year, but they also lost their coach.  They have a new guy leading this team who played a lot of underclassmen.

Wartburg - Lost a few guys inside and out who provided a lot of points, but played several young players including freshmen.   

Like last season, there is enough balance where 5-6 teams can win it.  Its all about getting hot at the right time.

1. Coalfield - They have enough to compete again for the title.

2. Oliver Springs - They have the right mix of talent and experience to be back on top.

3. Oakdale - This year they will build depth and should be top team the next year.

4. Wartburg - Their top guys will still be young but they could easily make a run at season's end.

5. Jellico - They might have the top player in district, just a lot of unknowns after that.

6. Oneida - Will struggle some until a new crop of players step up.

7. Sunbright - They will be better than last year but someone has to be last.

It was hard to separate teams 1-5, so should be another fun season in this district.

Also, with Grace and Meigs Co losing some good talent, the Region title could go back to 4A.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here is what I know from last year and what's gone on this summer.  Coalfield probably will not lose a district game, too strong all around and the new freshman is gonna cause a lot of problems for the district, I mean he did win Tourney MVP.   OS good talent, should be a toss up between them and Oakdale for second.  I would put Wartburg over Jellico for a couple reason. 1. Jellico has to travel too far for district games 2. Other than Jellico's PG, I don't think enough points can get scored to win, Wartburg should be balanced and has good coaching.  Now the bottom feeders, Oneida and Sunbright.  New coach at Sunbright, saw him as an assistant at Scott County, has lots of enthusiasm coaching is questionable, new system, new coach = growing pains.  Oneida, well, when you don't develop of coach younger players is comes back to bite you in the tail.  Always had good athletes but average coaching.  I'd be surprised if they win more than 4 district games.  No height but they had two great shooters who were Juniors, if both play they could carry the team and they need to be coached to play as a team.  Heard from an Oneida dad that one of them might not play, if not, that could land them in the cellar.

And as for the region, saw Megis County this summer, VERY DOMINANT. talented wing man that I think is a sophomore.  They are the favorites.  

• 2 weeks later...

I watched os play over the summer, and they will be a hard to play against. Seemed as if every player in the starting lineup was over 6 ft tall. Oakdale was also very good Steinmetz can shoot the lights out and the big guy down low will be hard to guard. I didn't get to watch wartburg player over the summer but i heard that they are still playing a fast paced game which means they can run any team out of the gym. Oneida did not look good over the summer, they was having trouble scoring, looked disorganized without West there to give them their scoring. Next is coalfied, they will be one of the toughest teams to play against this summer. Their young pg will run the show and will be favorite for district mvp, they are solid and physical all the way around. Went and watched Jellico play at Fulton and Bowlin is honestly the best player in all the district, he has improved his shooting, and is honestly unguardable. But besides him that was all the scoring they had besides a Lay kid who can only catch and shoot. I'm expecting a good year in the district, anyone can be the favorite to win this year.

1. Jellico - If Bowlin wants to takeover the district, he will. Needs other players to step up to make a all around team.

2. Coalfied - District MVP returning! Have the capability to win it all. 

3. Oliver Springs - With their size and ability to score at any position gonna be hard to beat .

4. Oakdale  - Returning everyone, can Steinmetz take the district from Bowlin and a talented Coalfield team.

5. Wartburg - Young, but can shock the district with the offense that is the best tempo around.

6. Oneida - After losing West and Coach Yaden, can last seasons early favorites win it all.

7. Sunbright - Still really young, and not much talent. Honestly don't expect much from them.

• 2 weeks later...

The freshman from coalfield was not the District MVP, He was the district tourney MVP. Cole West was the season MVP. The district is stacked with a lot of good point guards this season. But in all honesty you can't say the Coalfield kid is the favorite for the MVP. Bowlin is a couple of assists from breaking the all time record for assists. But, I agree to everything that was said about the standings. Coalfield is young and untested in high school but very talented. Oliver Springs is big and athletic. Oakdale has really good talent, and the new coach should teach them how to become winners. Jellico has the best player in the district but, needs to work on depth. Wartburg is young as well, losing the Kelby kid hurts with their presence inside. Oneida has a really good shooter besides that looks rough without West and Yaden. Sunbright has a new coach as well, really young, not much talent.

Edited by Basketball33

• 2 weeks later...