District 4A 2014-2015

Cookevegas3

I don't have any idea how it would impact the Oneida Boys Team but I have heard that some players that have been roaming the halls for couple of seasons will be returning to give BB a shot.  Whether or not that helps is anyones guess.  Of course we are still quite a ways before football ends so prehaps it is just much ado about nothing.  I do know the boys middle school team was very successful two or three years ago.  This is just stuff that gets batted around (don't know what is true and what ain't) and regardless of what is accurate or not....any team would be helped by good players if they joined up.  I guess time will tell.

Kaz

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt the freshman group at Coalfield is the best they've had in a long time. Mckinney is a fantastic player, potentially even the best player in the district even as a freshman this year; however, they lost their best player + another quality senior starter and a couple others that played a decent amount. (four of their top 7 gone) I'd be hardpressed to see them as a favorite given how many freshmen they'll likely have to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Coalfield should be the favorite. The Lee kid is really underrated and could have an MVP type season plus they have two more starters back from last years team along with Parker. Finding kids to provide quality bench minutes will be crucial for them to repeat.

you may well be correct, perhaps they can win it. but I think 12 out of 17 on the roster are freshmen or sophomores. Freshman group is very strong, one elite player+ 2 or 3 other good ones. Sophs much less so....one played a decent amount last yr... That much youth will be tough to overcome even in a weak single A district like this one. I think I would have to give the nod to a more veteran team as the favorite going in.

I suppose the real question with McKinney is can he replicate his play in the district tournament ('13) over the course of the season.  He has a very good Basketball IQ and the athletic ability to support that knowledge.  I don't think there is a clear frontrunner just yet.  However, I think there are a whole bunch of contenders right off the bat.  No real night off for anyone or they gonna be taking home a loss.  All that said, I like Coalfield and Oakdale's chances.....then perhaps Jellico, Wartburg, OS, and Oneida to scramble things up.  It will surprise me if Sunbright continues their play of recent years because they no longer have the same coach.

Kaz

I suppose the real question with McKinney is can he replicate his play in the district tournament ('13) over the course of the season. He has a very good Basketball IQ and the athletic ability to support that knowledge. I don't think there is a clear frontrunner just yet. However, I think there are a whole bunch of contenders right off the bat. No real night off for anyone or they gonna be taking home a loss. All that said, I like Coalfield and Oakdale's chances.....then perhaps Jellico, Wartburg, OS, and Oneida to scramble things up. It will surprise me if Sunbright continues their play of recent years because they no longer have the same coach.

Kaz

I really think 4 teams could win the regular season in Coalfield, Jellico, Oakdale, and Oneida plus throw in Wartburg when it comes tournament time to make it a very interesting season.

I may get  flogged, tarred, and feathered for saying this, but Oneida must collectively play better than they have over the summer.  I mentioned they may add a few kids that haven't played in the past couple of years.....we'll see if that is true.  They don't have a player that can take over the game but they will be pretty athletic when football concludes.  Be nice if the crystal ball showed a clear picture but right now it's pretty fogged up.

Kaz

The District is pretty much wide open. I think the top four teams in no particular order are Coalfield-Oakdale-Jellico-OZ. Wartburg is close to cracking that top 4. They will be coached up by Layne. With the tournament being played on a neutral site this year it's up for grabs and should be an exciting tournament.  OZ has good size and experience, Jellico has the top player in district in Bowlin, Coalfield has good young talent, Oakdale returns plenty of experience. I think Oneida & Sunbright would have to be underdogs to claim a title.

Anybody scrimmaged? Results? Oliver Springs scrimmaged Cumberland co, Kingston, and Clarkrange. CC took control of game in 2nd half and won by double digits. In 2 varsity quarters beat Kingston by a few. In 2 varsity quarters, missed tying 3 to lose to Clarkrange. Rest of quarters belonged to jv action for both teams in each game. OS has size and improved guard play.