District 4A 2014-2015

Cookevegas3

No way the title will go back to 4A. 3A could sweep the region tournament with Meigs, Grace, Harriman and Tellico

I think District 4 No. 1 has a good chance to beat District 3 No. 4. After that, I would say District 3 will have the advantage in all other opening round region games. I saw Meigs beat Cosby in the King of the Smokies tournament at Pigeon Forge. They are a solid team and will be a tough our come tournament play. Also, saw Jellico defeat triple A Cumberland County in the same tournament by 3 in a very entertaining game. Bowlin was double teamed on every in-bound possession and a double team came at him every possession he had the ball in his hands. He was was probably fouled on every in bound possession as he was held quite a bit by the opponent. (by the way the officiating was very consistent the whole way it was a wrestling match and very physical) He still had 17 points and numerous assists. I'm not sure that is the best way to play them because the double teams lead to easy baskets for other players. I would think that the best way to play them would be to man up with your half court defense and have good help when bowlin penetrates and make him kick out and see if the other players can make shots consistent. Make them earn their points by knocking down jump shots from the outside. By doubling him full court it's leaving them with easy shots close to the basket which most of their players will make. Just an opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to go way out on a limb here.  Oneida has played about as poorly, as a group, of all the teams in the district.  They have been injured....finding chemistry.....intergrating lineups.... and generally trying to figure out what works as they have gone along.  Have no idea if Sharp will return, but if he did, they are starting to get pieces in place that could make them a tougher out than they have been to this point.  If they can find some fluidity to their team they might surprise someone.  Having said all that, they still got to get it together or baseball will be here quick.

Kaz

One other thing......I have yet to see a team in this district look head and shoulders over everybody else.  I know Jellico is unbeaten in league games but in the one game I have seen them play I was honestly only impressed with one player (duh).  I think the pieces around him are solid, just nothing really jumps out at you though.  I'm sure C-town is rounding into form and I know ParMac is going to make them formitable come tournament time.  Wartburg has a bunch of guards running around creating havoc but if you beat their pressure, a solid inside game can hurt them.  Oakdale has good parts.....I like them.  Solid bunch

Kazzy

Quality game Tuesday between Coalfield and Oakdale. Niether team is great, but both are decent single A teams which made for an entertaining matchup. Back and forth throughout until late...Coalfield lost an 8 pt lead in the final 3 mins and missed 2 free throws with one sec left to send it to OT. Oakdale pulled it out in OT. On a good night, either team might get by a couple of the 3A teams (Tellico barely beat CF without football players), but neither can beat Grace under normal circumstances.

I want to go way out on a limb here. Oneida has played about as poorly, as a group, of all the teams in the district. They have been injured....finding chemistry.....intergrating lineups.... and generally trying to figure out what works as they have gone along. Have no idea if Sharp will return, but if he did, they are starting to get pieces in place that could make them a tougher out than they have been to this point. If they can find some fluidity to their team they might surprise someone. Having said all that, they still got to get it together or baseball will be here quick.

Kaz

After seeing Oneida last night I wouldn't want to play them in the first round. Was only down 4 in the 4th before coalfield pulled away. If they keep the pace slowed down they will have a chance to pull an upset.

That is pretty much what I was indicating.  They are probably capable of challenging several teams in their current condition.  I know Coach Smith is getting a bunch of "too young to coach/doesn't know what he is doing", but if you are watching them play.....you'd be blind to be saying they aren't improving as they continue the season.  Most teams with Oneida's current record would be throwing in the towel by this point, but their Coach is managing to get them a little better each time out.  Will it be enough....?  All that is left on their schedule is the top 4 teams remaining in the district.....so if they keep those games close, I guess it is possible they could be a factor in the tournament.  Here is an interesting thought.....Sharp and the football players have played about 3 games together this year.....I wonder if their record would have improved eventually if they had been on the court more?  (again, that may not happen)

Kaz

That is pretty much what I was indicating. They are probably capable of challenging several teams in their current condition. I know Coach Smith is getting a bunch of "too young to coach/doesn't know what he is doing", but if you are watching them play.....you'd be blind to be saying they aren't improving as they continue the season. Most teams with Oneida's current record would be throwing in the towel by this point, but their Coach is managing to get them a little better each time out. Will it be enough....? All that is left on their schedule is the top 4 teams remaining in the district.....so if they keep those games close, I guess it is possible they could be a factor in the tournament. Here is an interesting thought.....Sharp and the football players have played about 3 games together this year.....I wonder if their record would have improved eventually if they had been on the court more? (again, that may not happen)

Kaz

I forgot about sharp being out. If he could get back for the district tournament that would give them the scoring threat they lack.