Big Games in Memphis - Week 0

kwc

KWC-  You can't go wrong with any of those games!  Not sure if you knew or not, But I co-host the Shelby Metro Sports Scoreboard Show and we hit the airways beginning this Friday night following the games on Sports 56/ 88.7 FM.  Make sure to give us a call and let us know what you saw.  Excited about another GREAT year of HS football. I will be at the Millington @ Germantown game myself prior to the show. 

• Upvote 1

Alright everybody, it's that time again. I thought that I would get a jump on next week's games to allow everybody some time to think about who they want to roll with in the first week of games. Selections can be crucial in this first week. I selected games that I thought were BIG GAMES because the teams that are pitted against each other were both good programs in 2013.

I've selected a total of 9 games. Eight (8) will be played on Friday, August 22. The ninth (9) game will be played on Saturday, August 23. The list of games are as follows:

Friday August 22, 2014

Game 1:  Ridgeway @ Olive Branch (MS)

Game 2:  East @ Southwind

Game 3:  White Station @ South Panola

Game 4:  MBA @ CBHS

Game 5:  Houston @ Cordova

Game 6:  Jackson Trinity Christian at St. George's

Game 7:  Millington @ Germantown

Game 8:  Brentwood Aca. @ MUS

Saturday August 23, 2014

Game 9:  Mitchell @ Whitehaven

I thnk this is a pretty strong line-up.  Let's see how everybody does jumping out of the gate! I'm going to go ahead and select mine.

Game 1: Ridge ... er ....Olive Braaaaa ... hmmmmm (i'll come back to this one)

Game 2: Easssss ... No! ... Southwiiiiiinnnnnnnnn ... Now that I think about it, I think that I'm going to select my games later.

Ridgeway 35 Olive Branch 31

East 28 Southwind 14

South Panola 35 White Station 14

MBA 21  CBHS 7

Cordova 21  Houston 20

Jackson Trinity 28 St George 27

Millington 21  G-Town 14

Brentwood 28 MUS 17

Da Haven!!!!

Not sure where all of the preseason love for Cordova is coming from.  Yes, they are going to have athletes. I agree. They always do. But, in recent memory, they continue to be one of the most undisciplined teams in Shelby County. If the preseason is any indication, this hasn't changed and will end up costing them a game or two they shouldn't lose. One of those will be this friday night against Houston. Cordova is going to have prove to me that they are ready to contend in district 14-aaa because all they have done lately is Pretend. The 14-AAA champ will continue to be either Arlington or Millington until proven otherwise. 

Friday August 22, 2014

Game 1:  Ridgeway @ Olive Branch (MS)

Game 2:  East @ Southwind

Game 3:  White Station @ South Panola

Game 4:  MBA @ CBHS

Game 5:  Houston @ Cordova

Game 6:  Jackson Trinity Christian at St. George's

Game 7:  Millington @ Germantown

Game 8:  Brentwood Aca. @ MUS

Saturday August 23, 2014

Game 9:  Mitchell @ Whitehaven

Ridgeway 35 Olive Branch 31

East 28 Southwind 14

South Panola 35 White Station 14

MBA 21  CBHS 7

Cordova 21  Houston 20

Jackson Trinity 28 St George 27

Millington 21  G-Town 14

Brentwood 28 MUS 17

Da Haven!!!!

I see 'D' in the house!

D ... are you going to a game this Friday? If so ... where are you going? If you go to one, I'll go to another and we can compare notes. How does that sound to you?

KWC-  You can't go wrong with any of those games!  Not sure if you knew or not, But I co-host the Shelby Metro Sports Scoreboard Show and we hit the airways beginning this Friday night following the games on Sports 56/ 88.7 FM.  Make sure to give us a call and let us know what you saw.  Excited about another GREAT year of HS football. I will be at the Millington @ Germantown game myself prior to the show. 

Rob ... I've called to your show before. I'm hip.

Friday August 22, 2014

Game 1: Ridgeway

Game 2: East

Game 3: South Panola

Game 4: MBA

Game 5: Houston

Game 6: St. George's

Game 7: Millington

Game 8: MUS

Saturday August 23, 2014

Game 9: Whitehaven

TNHSFOOTBALLFAN, I'm thinking like you, except I like Cordova. Hmmmmmmm ... :mrgreen:

BARTLETTHSGRAD04:

Last year olddevil won the regular season BGIM contest. I never finished the post season. I tallied the first two rounds and generated a thread for the quarter-finals but I never tallied it nor did I complete the post season. Below is as far as I got with the post season. You and BHS were tied for first after the first two rounds.

BGIM - Playoff Round 1 and Round 2 results are as follows:

t-1) BARTLETTHSGRAD04 @ 24-6 (0.8000 = 80%)

t-1) BlackHavenSenator @ 24-6

t-3) olddevil @ 23-7 (0.7666 = 76.7%)

t-3) kwc @ 23-7

t-5) dhstennis @ 22-8 (0.7333 = 73.3%)

t-5) Cardsfan @ 22-8

t-7) Havengrad04 @ 21-9 (0.7000 = 70%)

t-7) tuskegee21 @ 21-9

t-7) pigskinred @ 21-9

10) dou @ 19-11 (0.6333 = 63.3%)

I was on my way LOL... I'll make my picks later in the week as well

Not sure where all of the preseason love for Cordova is coming from.  Yes, they are going to have athletes. I agree. They always do. But, in recent memory, they continue to be one of the most undisciplined teams in Shelby County. If the preseason is any indication, this hasn't changed and will end up costing them a game or two they shouldn't lose. One of those will be this friday night against Houston. Cordova is going to have prove to me that they are ready to contend in district 14-aaa because all they have done lately is Pretend. The 14-AAA champ will continue to be either Arlington or Millington until proven otherwise. 

The Pre-season Cordova hype has been generated be me. I started singing their praises early and often. I was impressed with the competative close that the team exhibited last season just after one season under the new coach's tutalage. More importantly, I'm basing my hype upon the past success that the now second year coach had when he successfully turned a lowly but once, elite Westwood program, into a legitamite quality team that the young folk wanted to be a part of what he generated. He built that program into a very good, hard nosed, small school program that could compete with the big boys. He has talent, skill, and an infectious desire that kinda spreads throughout his team. From what I've seen, he excells at talent assesment and talent development. I think he's got the goods, talent-wise, as a coach.

Now, he has an abundance of talent at his disposal. This isn't your dad's Cordova team.

Edited by kwc