Sevier County @ Bearden

gobears89

​Re-zoning is the first major problem. West High's zone extends now to the Bearden High building and beyond on the south side down around Northshore Dr. Across Kingston Pike from Bearden is zoned for Hardin Valley. There is really no "Bearden Community" zoning to speak of anymore. This also hampers having a strong "feeder program".

Way too much outside forces trying to "help" the sports programs. School administration plays too much politics with this "help" --- needs to be supportive of the staff. Had major change in the more knowledgeable football staff since last season. Organization is not near what it had been.

Bearden has also been a school where the coaches "compete" for athletes and discourage their players from playing other sports.  As a Bearden alum, I hate that it has become such a power struggle inside the building for athletes.  I find it disgusting that coaches would put that much pressure on those young people. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearden has also been a school where the coaches "compete" for athletes and discourage their players from playing other sports.  As a Bearden alum, I hate that it has become such a power struggle inside the building for athletes.  I find it disgusting that coaches would put that much pressure on those young people. 

I consider this very sad.....99% of these athletes will never make a dollar playing sports, let them enjoy what is the best time of their life and participate in whatever they want to participate.  If it is the kids choice to play one sport, that is fine, but he shouldn't feel pressured to do so.

Bearden has also been a school where the coaches "compete" for athletes and discourage their players from playing other sports. As a Bearden alum, I hate that it has become such a power struggle inside the building for athletes. I find it disgusting that coaches would put that much pressure on those young people.

Don't understand why they would do this. Seems like more sports makes a better all around athlete.

Guest nothingelsematters

HTV, BEING A BEARDEN ALUM, DO YOU KNOW WHAT JAKE IS TALKING ABOUT THE BEARDEN COACHING STAFF? YOU ALSO SAW THEM PLAY? WHAT ABOUT THE STAFF?

HTV, BEING A BEARDEN ALUM, DO YOU KNOW WHAT JAKE IS TALKING ABOUT THE BEARDEN COACHING STAFF? YOU ALSO SAW THEM PLAY? WHAT ABOUT THE STAFF?

I didn't know the old staff very well, only had met a couple of them. 

I had Coach Shinlever on the air with me when he was hired.  Impressive guy, and his football pedigree is solid. 

I also know the OC, Alex Rouse, from the year he spent at Powell.  Alex is young, but again he comes out of that George Quarles line of coaches, and he also played for Ken Sparks at C-N.  That's two pretty good coaches to learn under as a player.  And the year he spent at Powell was under Matt Lowe, who knows as much about offensive football as any high school coach in the area.  I believe Alex will prove to be a good football coach when all is said and done. 

Otherwise, the only other coaches on the Bearden staff this year that I am familiar with are Alex's uncle, Chuck Rouse, and Randall Scott, both of whom have coached at Bearden in the past and are good football guys. 

Bottom line - just a lot of work for Coach Shinlever and his guys to get done.  The program had declined quickly. 

Edited by HTV

Guest nothingelsematters

Thanks HTV, you always have solid info. I look forward to listening to you on Friday nights with the SD broadcast. Seems like SD is going to have another solid year. I am sure the SD staff will have some interest in this game since they play Sevier Co. and have already scrimmaged Bearden, even though the game is at the end of the year. Could be for the championship?

Could be for the championship?

Long, long, way to go to find out the answer to that question.  A lot has to fall in place correctly for both teams before they even think about getting to that point. You just never know what is going to happen injury wise, who will will be able to handle adversity better, and simply which way the ball bounces at times. 

That said, a lot of folks expect that it could come down to that, and if it does it would heighten what will already be a temendous atmosphere with it being a Thursday Night Rivalry gane as it is. 

Going to be a fun year for me and my broadcast crew.  Looking forward to seeing folk I haven't seen in a long time and meeting new folks in my first year in the IMAC.