Football and Wrestling

mjgIII

I keep hearing about the dieting aspect and how the practices are draining but what about injuries? According to statistics I just read Football has the highest rate of injury for any sport. It has 12 times as many injuries as basketball, which ranks #2 for most injuries. 1/3 of those injuries being knee injuries. When I was in school I don't recall

ever seeing wrestlers in casts or on crutches but you see football players getting badly hurt every season. In my opinion there is no question that football is "tougher" on a person's body.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the point? You aren't going to get an objective answer when you ask a question like that. If someone favors football they are going to tell you football is tougher and if you ask someone who favors wrestling they will tell you wrestling is tougher, heck I even had a cheerleader tell me that cheerleading is rougher than any other sport lol. People inherently have egos and they want to think whatever they are apart of is the best. Its the same thing with people in any branch of the service. If you talk to someone from the army,air force,navy,or marines they will all tell you that their branch is the best. That's just the way it is. And I have my own opinion of this matter based off of my life experience. And being a multiple sport athlete I can tell you that nothing I have played comes close to football.

This is why I said ask anyone who has done both so you would get an answer from people who have experienced both sports.

I keep hearing about the dieting aspect and how the practices are draining but what about injuries? According to statistics I just read Football has the highest rate of injury for any sport. It has 12 times as many injuries as basketball, which ranks #2 for most injuries. 1/3 of those injuries being knee injuries. When I was in school I don't recall

ever seeing wrestlers in casts or on crutches but you see football players getting badly hurt every season. In my opinion there is no question that football is "tougher" on a person's body.

Most knee injuries are not caused by impact,they are from planting and sometimes just give out.Your criteria for the argument is changing.Wasnt about which one has the most injuries.Alot of injuries occur from poor conditioning and just bad luck.We had a young man on our football team with ACL injuries to both knees one yr after the other and never got touched with either one.A competitve wrestler will be in top physical condition and they have less injuries. Edited by orngnblk

Most wrestlers will wrestle through injuries.  That is why you didn't see them walking around on crutches. Toughest SOB's you will ever run into.

:thumb: AGREED!!  I'll throw it out there.  My oldest son was a senior last year and after playing against Maryville in the semis, he went straight into wrestling again.  He tore his ACL completely and MCL 75% during his second week of wrestling practice (Early December). 

After the initial heartbreak, he decided that he would not be denied an opportunity for a state medal.  Most doctors wont repair a torn ACL until the MCL heals so after seven weeks of healing and rehab on the MCL his doctor allowed him to get fitted for an ACL brace and take a run at state.  He went into the practice room only two and a half weeks before the state tournament and only four days before the region tournament.  With no ACL and almost no conditioning for two months, this kid battled and spilled his guts and took fourth in the state at 160 pounds.  If you know wrestling, you know that they just don't give away state medals.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me how tough my son was or how amazing it was to see him back, or how amazing it was that he was even able to compete, it would be significant.

All football players should wrestle. It's a no brainer.

:thumb: AGREED!!  I'll throw it out there.  My oldest son was a senior last year and after playing against Maryville in the semis, he went straight into wrestling again.  He tore his ACL completely and MCL 75% during his second week of wrestling practice (Early December). 

After the initial heartbreak, he decided that he would not be denied an opportunity for a state medal.  Most doctors wont repair a torn ACL until the MCL heals so after seven weeks of healing and rehab on the MCL his doctor allowed him to get fitted for an ACL brace and take a run at state.  He went into the practice room only two and a half weeks before the state tournament and only four days before the region tournament.  With no ACL and almost no conditioning for two months, this kid battled and spilled his guts and took fourth in the state at 160 pounds.  If you know wrestling, you know that they just don't give away state medals.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me how tough my son was or how amazing it was to see him back, or how amazing it was that he was even able to compete, it would be significant.

All football players should wrestle. It's a no brainer.

mat73557 ewe jist maid anuthur dime....give yore son my congrats....His drive and don't give up attitude is refreshing to see..... :thumb: