Karns @ West

MeritIII

Over end of 1st qtr.

Karns has a few good players. Smith rb/corner and Faulkenberry rec/safety.  Smith will carry it 25 times while playing defense too.  The qb is decent, threw for 1600 plus last year.  They have one good lineman, Hodge, 6-5 275.  But that's about it.  They are way over matched here.   

Edited by ORidgeKat

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw does west have any new players to watch out for this year? I know they had a very good receiver on the freshman team last year.

Gov,

I would look at the tailbacks for West behind Cottrell...one is #6 Christian Romines and #38 Desmond Thompson...Romines is a sophomore with plenty of speed, while Thompson is a senior and big bruiser...Also at DT #54 Humphrey is only a sophomore replacing his brother at that same position. Those are three who have really stood out at the scrimmages but they are only scrimmages.

Looking forward to our game in October.

Coach Cummings is a class act he'll pull his starters by halftime and get the young guys experience..he won't risk his top guys getting hurt especially w Maryville up next and the possibility of getting to Cookeville again this season.

Last year Karns was so bad West scored 56 by halftime and sat starters the rest of the game. It sounds like that could happen again this season.

Go Rebels!

Gov,

I would look at the tailbacks for West behind Cottrell...one is #6 Christian Romines and #38 Desmond Thompson...Romines is a sophomore with plenty of speed, while Thompson is a senior and big bruiser...Also at DT #54 Humphrey is only a sophomore replacing his brother at that same position. Those are three who have really stood out at the scrimmages but they are only scrimmages.

Looking forward to our game in October.

The Humphrey kid I saw last year was an All-State offensive tackle... He may have been a spot player on West's D but I don't believe he was a starter.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone that has stood out for West through the preseason. Exception being when they throttled SC... I mean a weak Gibbs bunch laid waste to them for 12 minutes!

Knox, West played their offensive starters for 5 plays and defensive starters for 3 plays. True, the offense went 3 and out and then fumbled the next series.  It was ugly, I'll give you that.  But seriously "laid waste to them for 12 minutes"?  C'mon man.  Answer this, what do you think would happen between  Gibbs and West in a real game?  I know Fulton doesn't like West because they beatFulton 3 out of 4 years in a row and then decided not to play thm last year.  But can you blame them?  Why would they play Fulton's last years team if they didn't have to? With the current playoff system,  non conference games affect your playoff seeding?  They played Fulton 4 years in a row when they didn't have to.  Don't you think it's somebody elses turn to play Fulton that doesn't have to?  That's why they drew names out of a hat to make last years schedule, nobody signed up to play them and West wasn't chosen.   What happened was Fulton didn't get a chance to get their "revenge' on West for losing 3 out of 4.   It would have been a great game if they had played last year.  You are right about Leon Humphrey, he was starting OT and spot on d.  His little brother Leonard will be better than Leon before it's all said and done.  He's a beast.   

The Humphrey kid I saw last year was an All-State offensive tackle... He may have been a spot player on West's D but I don't believe he was a starter.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone that has stood out for West through the preseason. Exception being when they throttled SC... I mean a weak Gibbs bunch laid waste to them for 12 minutes!

You are putting way too much emphasis on preseason results. West is going to be solid again this season.