CAK at Powell

Govolsknox

This could not have been handled on a building level. A student reported to their parent which reported to the School Board that the teacher left the classroom during a state assessment for over 10 minutes. Additionally, he admitted to opening the test book while the students were taking the test (immediate grounds for termination in TN). On top of that, he admitted to working individual problems during the test (immediate grounds for termination in TN). He could and should have been terminated immediately else the school system would have come under state review. Knox Co. and the school held out as long as they could giving him paid leave from December-April (causing students not to have a licensed teacher) and then he gave his resignation voluntarily in order to keep his teaching license in TN.

You sound like a board member with that response! Appreciate all the "facts"!

You sound like a board member with that response! Appreciate all the "facts"!

Not a board member, just a teacher on the crap end of things that had to cover for him during his paid leave for over 4 months while I didn't have a planning period. Those are absolutely the "facts" and any of the teachers who were there then will tell you the same thing. They tried their best at the school level to keep him, but by that time it was already a BOE call on the local and state level. He even admitted to what he did in the paper in front of the BOE, one of which (working on the problems) hadn't been brought up until he admitted it to the BOE. He would have been a good coach there over time, but he wasn't mature enough yet so the kids ran over him on the field as well as the classroom. He's in a good place now and will grow. I believe we'll see his name as a head coach again one day.

Not a board member, just a teacher on the crap end of things that had to cover for him during his paid leave for over 4 months while I didn't have a planning period. Those are absolutely the "facts" and any of the teachers who were there then will tell you the same thing. They tried their best at the school level to keep him, but by that time it was already a BOE call on the local and state level. He even admitted to what he did in the paper in front of the BOE, one of which (working on the problems) hadn't been brought up until he admitted it to the BOE. He would have been a good coach there over time, but he wasn't mature enough yet so the kids ran over him on the field as well as the classroom. He's in a good place now and will grow. I believe we'll see his name as a head coach again one day.

Derek is a head coach at Dresden High School in West Tennessee.  He was hired back in the spring.

And I take exception to your statement that the kids ran over him on the field.  That's just not accurate.  He took a team that only returned 7 starters from the previous year's state final 14-1 team and darned near got back to Cookeville again before losing a one score game at Columbia Central in the semifinals.  Derek was smart enough to keep most of that previous staff, who were good with that group.  They didn't run over any of those coaches. 

You really feel the need to point out a 40 point win to a 34 point margin? Does it matter? Usually 2 and 3 team defense will give up a score if the other teams starters are still in. I'm glad Cole Smith played good. I hope he doesn't this week lol and then he can set all kind of passing records from week 3 and on.

Yes. I'll let my comments, taken in the context of their entirety, stand for themselves. They were 100% accurate in my opinion.

Edited by Govolsknox

Sorry I missed this thread before the game, I had a busy week, but I did make it to the game.  It felt strange watching a game from the visitors bleachers at Powell, I spent many years watching and coaching rec. teams on this field.  CAK may be a bit better this year than I gave them credit for in the pre-season.  Their skill players are developing nicely and I see a lot of grit out of the other players that might be considered undersized or not as athletic as we may have had in the recent past.  The Warrior coaching staff continues to prove their worth.  Their teams are always prepared and rarely are intimidated and almost always play hard for 4 qtrs.  While CAK is progressing nicely, I certainly can't call them a real threat for a gold ball just yet.  I think next year could be a very interesting year if things continue to go well for the Warriors.  Regarding Powell, it is sad to see such a successful program be so woefully inadequate at this point.  Its a proud program with a lot of recent success, but they are merely a shell of themselves.  I don't think they have an identity at this point.  Are they a spread team, are they a Wing-T team, I don't think they really know at this point.  I didn't see much that would suggest that they are strong at any one particular thing.  Unless they had kids injured, or there is a sleeper on the sidelines, I didn't see any real threats on the field for the Panthers.  They would be pressed to have a winning season in a lower classification, but playing in 6A now I don't see them winning many, if any, games this season.  I wish the Panthers well, but the feedback I got from ALL of my old friends from the Panther Nation at the game was that the program is spiraling in the wrong direction.  I hope they can get it back under control sooner than later.