gtripledip

BIGGEST MARGINS IN WEEK 0

The Five biggest margin of victory in week zero

Fulton 83, Powell 3

Pigeon Forge 71, Cosby 0

Scott County 63, McCreary County (KY) 0

Chattanooga Christian 62, Chattanooga Grace 0

Melrose 62, MAHS 0

Although these are necessarily class A. These are crazy scores from week zero. What do you think? Is beating someone by 45, 50, 60, 75 or 80 points considered running it up or should a team get all the points it can no matter the opponent? Which is the "right" thing to to. All three of my sons play or played football and other team sports. We have been on both ends of the stick. I personally never like the ideal of what I'll call running the score up. I think that's are ways to prevent it without telling players to hold back and don't score. Substitutes and working on others areas of the game for one. But I'll say this, if you up by 45-50 points in the forth quarter and you starting QB, RB and WR are still in the game, it's called "running up" the score

What do you think?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BIGGEST MARGINS IN WEEK 0

The Five biggest margin of victory in week zero

Fulton 83, Powell 3

Pigeon Forge 71, Cosby 0

Scott County 63, McCreary County (KY) 0

Chattanooga Christian 62, Chattanooga Grace 0

Melrose 62, MAHS 0

Although these are necessarily class A. These are crazy scores from week zero. What do you think? Is beating someone by 45, 50, 60, 75 or 80 points considered running it up or should a team get all the points it can no matter the opponent? Which is the "right" thing to to. All three of my sons play or played football and other team sports. We have been on both ends of the stick. I personally never like the ideal of what I'll call running the score up. I think that's are ways to prevent it without telling players to hold back and don't score. Substitutes and working on others areas of the game for one. But I'll say this, if you up by 45-50 points in the forth quarter and you starting QB, RB and WR are still in the game, it's called "running up" the score

Shows how classless some coaches are and it they were not fired for embarassing some kids they should be.   Coaches like these give the rest of us a bad name.

I remember one coach saying about the score being run up on him that "It's my team's job to stop the other team from scoring, it's not the other teams job not to score."  With that said, take out the starters when up by a certain amount.  If the backups can't be stopped then that's too bad.  You can't ask a kid to stop scoring.  And you can't ask a kid to not play as hard as he can, if you do that then he can get hurt. 

As far as the scores mentioned in the OP, without knowing the situation it's hard to say if those scores were due to one team running it up or the other team just being very bad. 

I remember many times watching South Pittsburg "run up" the score with a second or third team tailback running between the tackles.  When you have backups in and they are running it straight up the gut but still scoring, that's not running it up.  That's just bad defense and that's the reason we now have the mercy rule.

No one saying to ask someone not to try or to not score. What I'm saying is what a great time to put the kids that never play in the game. Also you could try a 3rd QB or 5th receiver. Let the kid that only play defense try WR. If your a running team then work on passing or vise versa.

I agree gtripledip. In Week 10, there will be a great example set of how to handle an early blowout game. I invite you to the campus of Nashville Christian that night and you can witness first hand the way to properly coach under this type of scenario. Bring your video camera.......... 

I agree gtripledip. In Week 10, there will be a great example set of how to handle an early blowout game. I invite you to the campus of Nashville Christian that night and you can witness first hand the way to properly coach under this type of scenario. Bring your video camera.......... 

Are you saying Brothers does not run it up, if so you better rethink that statement.  Jsut because he si a decent guy does not mean he wont run it up, and has.

Are you saying Brothers does not run it up, if so you better rethink that statement.  Jsut because he si a decent guy does not mean he wont run it up, and has.

Define "run it up" in this case.

Because in certain games, "running it up", is more than appropriate.  There was some crap pulled by the opposing team in last week's game and they deserved every point we put up on them (including the fumble recovery for a TD on the kickoff which was the last play of the game).

Edited by NCSdad1962

You seem to always got some "cute" comment to make like some juvenile. Never anything constructive. Most folks on here are fair and balance in their opinions and statements. I can not say the same for you.

Define "run it up" in this case.

Because in certain games, "running it up", is more than appropriate.  There was some crap pulled by the opposing team in last week's game and they deserved every point we put up on them (including the fumble recovery for a TD on the kickoff which was the last play of the game).

What does that mean "in this case" anytime the score is 40 plus which seems the number meaning plenty in this thread and you are trying to score more it is never appropriate to embarrass a team.  If you think embarrassing kids to justify something you feel you owe them then you have a problem and should take it up with appropriate people. For example, your AD talking to the other schools AD and then possible deciding not to play them in the future, but not to embarrass the kids, that is as bush league as what they did, never convinced 2 wrongs make a right.  You must be a real class act if you think that is ok.

What does that mean "in this case" 

"in this case" means you called someone out by name and I am curious how you define "run it up" "in this case".

Edited by NCSdad1962