Week 2: Maryville at Knox West

BigDave1967

West has a very good team. I thought Alcoa was not as good as in previous years after seeing them play Maryville. So I am not so sure how good Maryville is. Their defense is certainly very good with a hole or two in the DB area. D line is pretty good, as good as any I have seen at Maryville. QB I'd give a B grade at the moment. Vaught needs some development. Last years QB threw ONE interception  all year. This QB has 3. Not saying he is bad, just saying he is not up to speed just YET. He will be though.

West has 4 All-State players returning. Nathan Cottrell of West was the District 4A Player of the Year and is a very good running back boasting a 14.5 yards per carry average coming into this year. That is exceptional. QB Marshall is pretty quick, (sub 4.5 forty) and their DB Tommy Pridemore was the Blue Cross Bowl 5A Defensive MVP. Also Alex Burch one of the All-State players has also run a sub 4.5 forty and had 8 interceptions last year. Their O-line has experience at three positions and their d-line and LB's are returning 6 experienced players. So I am not so sure a beat down is there.  That's why they play the game. Maryville has won 27 times in the series, West has won 4 with one tie. Last year Maryville won 42 to 20. Last West win was 1996, West 24 MHS 21. 

many great HS running backs have gone up against GQ in the past.....JR Riggs, Todd Kelly,  Devron Young....result has been the same...it takes more than a super star...too many of the other 10 on the field sit back and watch how their stud us gonna whup the Red Rebels...

Fellers and rw87.....John Garrett imo played QB laist yeer fer MHS az good az hit cain bee played....Hiz efishshuntcee wuz oft tha charts.....Eye've seed sum emproovmint inn Tyler and he cain do sum thangs bettur thain Garrett....

ORK brangs upp a gooder point abowt West's DB's......Pluss thay gott 2 rilly good LB's inn Hoxie and Highfill......Then'st ewe add inn thair offence wif speed all ovur tha feeled and a "THOMPSON".......Welp eye jist hoap we cain keap hit clost..... :huh:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Just finished my homework. West will give MHS all it wants if Cummings will go press man and stack the box. Back in 2004 it was a tough game until Cade and the boys started hitting some corner routes. Cade could throw much better than Tyler and the recievers were much harder to cover in man. Could be interesting, but the Big Red Machine scares too many away from attacking their weaknesses (DB's). Got to go to bed and get ready for that big test tomorrow.

If you are using John Garret as the standard you are going to be disappointed every year from now on. I doubt there has been many, if any, QB's in the history of Tennessee football that had a better year than John did last year. That was special and will never happen again at MHS. Tyler is doing fine and MHS is lucky to have him behind the center.

I agree with this assessment.....John had a year that is unheard of for a QB at any level....Tyler is a great athlete and he will continue to get better and better as the season progresses.

Just finished my homework. West will give MHS all it wants if Cummings will go press man and stack the box. Back in 2004 it was a tough game until Cade and the boys started hitting some corner routes. Cade could throw much better than Tyler and the recievers were much harder to cover in man. Could be interesting, but the Big Red Machine scares too many away from attacking their weaknesses (DB's). Got to go to bed and get ready for that big test tomorrow.

MN ewe rekkon GQ haz thawt abowt hit if'un West uses yore gaimplan...???..... :popcorneater: