Mark Packer is no longer on the air

lessur

A terrible byproduct of so much sports media is the proliferation of

announcers, many of whom do not deserve to be anywhere near a broadcast

booth. This is happening from professional sports on down the line. Many

years ago one of the networks broadcast a NFL game and did not use

announcers, just crowd noise and the stadium PA. It was bliss. No self

serving idiots babbling to occupy air time.

Packer is terrible, in my opinion, and there are many more as bad or worse. That is why the volume stays off on my tv during most sporting events.

• Upvote 1

Packer needs to start a local version of 'The View' and leave sports alone. The garbage he says during games drives me crazy. His wife must suggest on air topics for him to comment on.

Heard Russell Biven doing a game last year and he was soooo much better.

Packer needs to put his yellow green bubble bee suit back on and go do little girl birthday parties.

Thanks to who ever started this thread.

• Upvote 1

Packer's problem is he wants a Knoxville team to beat other East Tennessee teams badly.  Especially Maryville and Alcoa.  Too much Bias with him. As much as he annoys me Kevin Dyson was a lot worse. He was Whitehaven's biggest cheerleader when they beat Maryville in 2012. Best announce I ever heard was the guy who broadcasted the Maryville vs Hillsboro game in 2006.

• Upvote 1

Just watched DVR Maryville/Alcoa. Maryville runs a play on first down for two yards and it is like 2nd and 8 from their own 32. Packer is babbling about something and casually says "2nd and goal at the two". The color guy got real quiet for a second. Packer NEVER caught it. When Maryville went up 41-7 he pointed out "George has too much respect for Gary to go for two and create a running clock". Quarles would not do that in any game and neither would any other coach. Probably better off if he quit dropping names, talking random nonsense and just try to call the game.

• Upvote 1

Just watched DVR Maryville/Alcoa. Maryville runs a play on first down for two yards and it is like 2nd and 8 from their own 32. Packer is babbling about something and casually says "2nd and goal at the two". The color guy got real quiet for a second. Packer NEVER caught it. When Maryville went up 41-7 he pointed out "George has too much respect for Gary to go for two and create a running clock". Quarles would not do that in any game and neither would any other coach. Probably better off if he quit dropping names, talking random nonsense and just try to call the game.

I wonder if he goes for two against WB at least once???  would be a nice subtle reminder

You guys get on here and say it's all about the kids, we shouldn't degrade kids on here, blah, blah, blah....... Then you get a thread started about this guy, who works his tail off all off season lining up games, sponsors for the games, goes to the schools early and does some interviewing, sets up the booth, etc....... Would you rather not have this showcase for these kids? I mean I've heard some bias comments from sports commentators at every level of sports, heck, I turn Bob Kesling down but that's just a preference of mine, just can't stand to hear how they get homered in every loss.

Heck, how long do u watch a 54-0 game before u change the channel??? He has a legitimate point on certain games. Just remember who it's for, and remember when we couldn't get a Campbell county game vs Seymour on the tv? Or a HVA vs karns? South Doyle vs. heritage.

I guess what I'm saying is there's some pretty good football teams in the area besides Oak Ridge, maryville, Fulton, Alcoa out there that people might want to see, and he has been huge in bringing it to fruition. Of course this is JMO.

You guys get on here and say it's all about the kids, we shouldn't degrade kids on here, blah, blah, blah....... Then you get a thread started about this guy, who works his tail off all off season lining up games, sponsors for the games, goes to the schools early and does some interviewing, sets up the booth, etc....... Would you rather not have this showcase for these kids? I mean I've heard some bias comments from sports commentators at every level of sports, heck, I turn Bob Kesling down but that's just a preference of mine, just can't stand to hear how they get homered in every loss.

Heck, how long do u watch a 54-0 game before u change the channel??? He has a legitimate point on certain games. Just remember who it's for, and remember when we couldn't get a Campbell county game vs Seymour on the tv? Or a HVA vs karns? South Doyle vs. heritage.

I guess what I'm saying is there's some pretty good football teams in the area besides Oak Ridge, maryville, Fulton, Alcoa out there that people might want to see, and he has been huge in bringing it to fruition. Of course this is JMO.

I very much agree with you, Crazy. Packer does a lot for local high school football. These perfectionists need to get their own production company and see if they can do better.