3-0 Campbell County vs. 3-0 Anderson County preview

Mav4life

3-0 (1-0) Campbell County @ 3-0 (2-0) Anderson County

All Rankings have not been updated from Friday Nights Games, when the updates come in I will let you have them, but here are the numbers prior to Friday Night:

National Rankings via M A X P R E P S:

AC: 1,197            CC: 1,087

State Rankings via M A X P R E P S:

AC: 39                 CC: 33

5A Rankings via M A X P R E P S:

AC: 7                   CC: 6

AP Poll for 5A:

AC: 5                   CC: 8

Opponents Avg. Rankings – National, State, Classification:

AC: 5,630 – 152 – 27

CC: 10,153 – 632 – 33

Highest Ranked Opponent:

AC: 2,669 – 80 – 17

CC: 3,750 – 111 – 21

Lowest Ranked Opponent:

AC: 9,786 – 251 – 41

CC: 14,026 – 311 – 52

Opponents Best Record:

AC: 2-1                CC: 1-1

Opponents Worst Record:

AC: 0-3                CC: 1-2

Average Opponents respected Classification:

AC: 4.3                CC: 3

Average Opponents Record:

AC: 3-6                CC: 3-5

Points Scored (avg.):

AC: 108 (36)       CC: 153 (51)

Points Allowed (avg.):

AC: 33 (11)         CC: 34 (11)

Avg. Margin of victory:

AC: 25                 CC: 40

Largest Margin of victory:

AC: 38                 CC: 64

Smallest Margin of Victory:

AC: 16                 CC: 8

Power Rankings:

AC: 123.34 (49th)             CC: 113.12 (99th)

Shedule ranking:

AC: 96.7              CC: 75.46

AC leads Series 13-3

CC last victory over AC was in 1992

AC Average Margin of Victory: 31-8

Largest Margin in series: AC by 49

Coaches:

AC’s Coach Davey Gillum has a record of 43-21 (67%) at Anderson County and is in his 6th year at AC while Campbell County’s Head Coach Justin Price has a record of 19-16 (54%) in his 3 years at CC.  Coach Gillum has taken the Mavericks to the playoffs every year and has gone as deep as the 3rd round 3 of the 5 seasons which is a feat no other coach at AC has ever done.  Justin Price has taken the Cougars to the Playoffs once in his 3 years as the head coach but has recorded the school first ever playoff victory just last season.  Head to Head Coach Gillum leads the series over Coach Price 3-0 with victories of 26-21, 36-0 and 38-14 for an average victory of 33-12.  Both teams are coming off tremendous seasons where they each won 9 regular season games, the Cougars lone regular season loss was to the Mavericks, while the Mavericks loss in the regular season came at the hands of the Powell Panthers.  AC made a run in the playoffs losing the the Quarterfinals to State Runner up Knox West by a score of 32-19.  Campbell County’s playoff loss also came at the hand of the West Rebels in the second round by a score of 50-18.

2013 by the numbers

Record:

AC: 11-2 (2-1 post season)         

CC: 10-2 (1-1 post season)

2013 Avg points per game:

AC: 41   CC: 35

2013 Avg. points allowed:

AC†23  CC: 19

This years matchup marks the 17th meeting between the 2 teams and the 4th between the 2 Head Coaches, last years meeting saw the Mavericks go up 13-0 before the Cougars came back to take the lead in the 3rd then the Mavericks marched down the field using a balanced offensive attack to take the lead, it took a final interception by AC to seal the win in what was a great game that no one at the time new would go down to determine the 2013 District Championship.  This years match-up looks like it has the makings of becoming just as entertaining as well as important in the district as last seasons.  AC Looks to have a much improved Defense from last seasons so far, though they have not been tested in the secondary like they will be on Friday night.  AC also has the states returning rusher in Matt Fox who Campbell County did a fairly descent job at containing last season.  CC comes in with one of the most dangerous passing attacks in the state with a solid QB in Jeffers and good skill position players around him.  I look for this game to be another thriller and for both teams to bring their “A†game.  If AC can do what they normally do at the line of scrimmage than I feel they can control the game on the offensive side of the ball, but defensively they will have to play lights out and not let Jeffers have too much time.  Last season I think AC tried to keep the major plays at a minimum and played to not get beat on Defense which cost us some points, I do not see this defense being built that way, I would look for AC to pin their ears back and play very aggressive on defense this season, we seem to be faster in the secondary and with players like Johnson I think we force CC to make some mistakes and AC will capitalize and wear CC down.  If we can knock the receivers off the routes and put Pressure on Jeffers I think we can win the game, however we can not let him sit back and pick us apart.  If you are planning on going to this one you better get there early, I could easily see there being over 9,000 people at this game because it is going to be a good one.  My prediction is AC finds a way to win at home with solid defense and a brutal running attack:

AC: 28

CC: 21

Edited by Mav4life

here is some interesting info about the numbers for the power ranking predictions:

AC vs. Clinton:

Power rankings formula predicted AC by 18, result was AC by 16

AC vs. AE:

Power rankings formula predicted AC by 30, result was AC by 38

AC vs Gibbs:

Power rankings formula predicted AC by 20, result was AC by 21

CC vs. Cumberland Gap:

Power rankings formula predicted CC by 34, result was CC by 47

CC vs. Central:

Power rankings formula predicted CC by 3, result was CC by 8

no formula for out of state teams so I could not compare the CC and Lynn Camp game

AC vs. Campbell County

Power rankings formula predicts AC by 12

I know this does not mean much and I do not make my predictions based on these numbers, but I thought it was very interesting that the predictions have been so good for AC and CC so far this season, lets hope they are just as good this week lol

just to get an Idea of the Lynn Camp game here is what I did:

Lynn Camps rankings and Jellico High Schools rankings are very similar and they are pretty close, also, Lynn Camp beat Jellico this past Friday Night 22-18 (+4) so if you take Jellico's power Rankings and make a prediction to CC here is what you would get:

Prediction would be CC wins by 70

so then you take the 4 point margin to Lynn Camps favor and here is what you would have:

Prediction would be CC wins by 66

Actual result was CC won by 64

That pretty darn close lol

Like I said, this is just a conversation piece, but it is still kind of impressive just how close it is

The thing that worried me this year was gonna be ac defense. So far this year the defense has outplayed the offense. If they keep it up and can keep pressure on Jeffers I really don't see much of a ball game. If they play the Same 3 man front and run a 9 man zone like last year it's gonna be another barn burner. I think ac will learn from last year and put a lot of pressure on Jeffers and I don't think cc will stop Fox but I also look for a big game from Smith and Garrett. I predict 42-21

I might be on my own and not saying there won't be any big plays but the main reason they ripped em last year was bc ac never brung no pressure. It's hard for anybody to cover a receiver for more than 3 sec unless u Fulton. Ac has a whole new identity on defense this year and swarms to the ball. Not saying it won't happen and I wouldn't be surprised if it did but I just feel it will.

West did well last year shutting down CCHS. Of course limited Powell played CCHS well. If AC  Defense plays as tough as I know they can then AC should be just fine. Taking into consideration  a prime factor AC beat CCHS which made the sole difference crowning them lone District Champs per TSSAA meeting last year and CCHS still not letting this go I am going to assume this is a big factor in how the Mavs play. In other words I would not want to play the Mavs this week. Mavs just need to calm down play with focus and take care of business and at the end of the game there reward will come. This is one of the best coaching staffs in the state. I have faith!

West has laid the blueprint for shutting down this kind of offense, they did it in 2010 against AC and then again in 2013 against CC in the playoffs, granted West has better players in the secondary than 90% of the teams in the state, but the X's and O's are the same and I hope AC plays aggressive smothering D Friday.  Watching AC this year it almost looks like that is the direction they are headed on Defense, I just hope our kids can make the plays.  This will for sure be a very hard hitting game on both sides of the ball.